4,350 results
All reviews the cottages terrace restaurant samphire restaurant fistral view courtyard room storm watching main restaurant four poster bed hotel facilities dog friendly hotel beautiful hotel self catering stunning views cream tea steam room overlooking the sea relaxing break
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Having stayed at the Headland for the first time last year (and used the spa since), my partner and I were very much looking forward to returning for another short break. We were not disappointed.

This is truly a unique, characterful and beautiful hotel in an outstanding location. The staff are efficient, highly professional but also friendly and approachable - without exception a pleasure to deal with. The doorman is a delightful chap who speaks my partner's native language (Brummie), and the concierge, Sarah, warrants particular thanks on this occasion.

My other half is allergic to both gluten and dairy, meaning we had little hope that she would get to enjoy the cream tea voucher to which our reservation entitled us. Indeed I was secretly rather looking forward to enjoying her cream tea as well as my own during our stay. As I was booking what I expected to be the first of my two cream teas I happened to mention my partner's allergies to Sarah with no expectation that such a thing as a dairy AND gluten free scone might exist, however I underestimated the Headland's willingness and ability to please. Sarah promised to speak with the chef and in due course established that although no such scones existed at that time, the chef would be happy to make some for us. This may sound trivial but to those who endure collections of allergies it means a lot.

It was also not lost on me that making two rather unusual scones for us was quite a lot of work for the kitchen when they're also tasked with making who knows how many exquisite meals every day for customers who, frankly, will be worth a lot more to the hotel than me and my Brummie-speaking partner are ever likely to be. Such willing attention and effort for 'little people like us' (MY words, not theirs, just to be clear!) was genuinely impressive. The scones, by the way, were also impressive. My other half loved them, the first she'd ever had, and I can confirm they also tasted impressively sconey to a scone aficionado such as m'self! The 'normal' scones served with my cream tea were outstanding, just for the record.

So that's a lot about scones, but really it's about service, customer experience and people - these are the things that really endear this remarkable place to us. Whether the opening of the impressive new spa facilities currently under construction will see prices move beyond the reach of folks like us in future years remains to be seen, but we'll be coming back as often as we can for as long as we can - that much is certain. Book it - you'll love it.

1  Thank Steve081974
TheHeadlandHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Steve

I am really delighted to see how much you both enjoyed your second stay at The Headland and especially to see that you were not disappointed in any way. Thank you so much for praising our wonderful staff so highly and I am so glad that we were able to provide the gluten and dairy-free scones that you wife enjoyed so much.( Sorry that meant you missed out a bit there! ) Where possible, nothing really is too much trouble for our guests, as you discovered, but it is so nice when guests like yourself appreciate it so much.By the way, there are no 'little people' among our guests at The Headland. Everyone is equally important to us. I am so glad you loved your stay and truly hope you will both keep coming back to us in the future. It will always be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just stayed at the excellent Headland Hotel on Fistral Bay. This was our first visit to the Hotel and will definitely not be our last! We had an upgrade to an ocean room which was definitely worth the extra money. The upgraded room was extra large as well,very spacious and comfortable. Both Restaurants offer quality menus which we enjoyed. The staff are all very friendly and helpful and we appreciated the extra help they gave us to repair my walking boot too. Great location to access other parts of Cornwall which we did to visit the Poldark filming locations and Doc Martin. Overall a lovely relaxing holiday.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

It is a great pleasure to see how much you enjoyed your time with us and many thanks for your super comments. Thank you,too, for acknowledging the friendliness and helpfulness of our wonderful staff team and I am delighted to see that you will be back in the future. I'm glad you managed to visit the filming locations you mention whilst you were here - it's all very interesting isn't it and I admit to being an avid fan of both programmes.

We look forward with great pleasure to your next visit.

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Second trip, first time on my own. Staff couldn't be more helpful, room extremely welcoming and comfortable. Particularly liked the in-room coffee machine and the under-floor heating in the bathroom. The food at breakfast and in the Terrace restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I am so glad that your solo trip this time was just as enjoyable as the first stay here. Thank you for your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you back often in the future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Having had a bad experience at our original booking for our mini-moon we had to make a last minute reservation, the reception upgraded us to a splendid ocean view room and when we walked in we had towel swans, rose petals and other gifts.
The room was beautiful, a comfortable four poster bed with a view straight over the sea was beautiful, coffee and tea making of high quality wares secreted away in its own nook, comfortable seating in the bay window and a beautiful spa bath, twin sinks and all clean and well presented.
Suffice to say it made my wife cry it was so lovely.
We only stayed two nights but enjoyed he hotel immensely, we hadn't come prepared to try the spa facilities or gym but they looked good. We did fine on the Terrace which was the lower rated restaurant but the food was good, we enjoyed an excellent breakfast each morning and sampled he well stocked bar.
Overall we arrived a little stressed and left relaxed. It was perfect. Will be back I hope!

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul C

Dear Paul

We were so pleased to be able to 'rescue' your honeymoon after your let -down at the other location. It is so touching to see that you both loved your room so much it made Mrs C cry. We are thrilled that you left feeling so relaxed which is always our aim for our guests and we are delighted to see that you plan to come back to us at some point. A warm Headland welcome will be waiting for you.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were blown away by how fabulous this hotel is, the location is incredible. Exceeded all expectation how well kept it was, everything was in such good condition, for a hotel that opened in 1900 that's good going, it's beautiful restored. You feel so relaxed and looked after, the grand staircase and real fires spotted about give it a luxury home from home feel that you could really get used to. The staff are well presented and can't do enough for you, they are all so chatty and lovely, asking about your day and what your plans are. Lots of cosy sofas to sink into for cocktail or coffee with stunning coastal views. Definitely would recommend, out of this world and a film location too.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for a fabulous recommendation. I am so glad that you found so much to enjoy in our beautiful old hotel. I think you have perfectly summed up the essence of what The Headland has to offer and we sincerely hope to welcome you back often for more of the same.