US$193
  • Beachfront
US$116
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Hotel Sunnyside Newquay(Newquay)(Great Value!)
US$87
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$98
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$115/night.

US$351
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstolcarne beachsilver serviceturret roomsea viewtraditional hotelfamily run hotelbit datedthe cliffthird floorgreat positionfamily roomdefinitely stay here againroom was largewaiting staffswimming poolstayed for two nightscooked breakfast
Reviewed October 20, 2011

The previous guest really missed out on a wonderful stay. Yes, some of the bedrooms do have sheets and blankets but duvets are available if you ask. Our room was large with a seaview double and single en suite. The Bristol sits above the cliffs and the path down to the Tolcarne beach below. I thought the food was really good, a great selection and good service too. They have a loyal and hard working staff so willing to please.us at all times.

We can't wait to return soon

Room Tip: Ask for one of the turret rooms on the side. Our room was 150
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2011

The Sat Nav directions given by the Hotel Bristol take you directly to the hotel car park in the road behind the hotel- which was handy. There was then a rear entrance to the hotel. We had booked using Tesco Clubcard reward vouchers. Further to the report by another reviewer about their inferior room as a voucher user, on arrival we enquired whether we might get a sea view room, and it was explained to us that the voucher scheme paid for a standard room only, but that they upgrade whenever possible-(especially if you have taken up the offer of a Best Western rewards card), but they were not able to on this occasion, because there were a large number of guests booked in for a wedding on the Saturday. They had, however, given us a large side-facing room, and we could see the sea looking sideways from the large window which was nice. The bathroom was large and next morning got the morning sun through the window facing the back of the building. The suite in there was “retro” yellow-but it was all nice and clean. The room itself was very spacious, furnished in a very traditional style, and had a double and a single bed, small occasional table and 2 chairs as well as the usual wardrobe, dressers etc. It got sun through a large set of windows in the afternoon. There was flat screen TV, tea and coffee making facilities, and hairdryer. I found the sash windows difficult to open- some possibly stuck( I think) with paint-but I did find one which opened-before I started to panic (I suffer from mild claustrophobia), but it tended to drop slowly of its own accord. The whole hotel has an air of faded elegance, but is clean and warm.

We slept well on the first night. Some people have complained that the hotel uses sheets and blankets rather than duvets, but they are high quality cotton sheets and it made no difference to us-most hotels abroad have sheets. The area around the hotel is quite quiet, with minimal noise from the seafront road, which is not terribly busy. We were however disturbed on our second night by occupants in the room above coming in at 2am and apparently moving furniture about, dropping heavy objects and walking to and fro with heavy steps. Unfortunately they also had an early start and resumed their noisy activity at 7am-none of this the hotel’s fault of course!

I used the hotel’s indoor pool once –accessible down a labyrinth of corridors and through a door with a security code. It was eerily quiet there. I did not see the notice advising “no lone bathing” until afterwards because I had removed my spectacles to swim- so perhaps this notice should be outside the pool! The receptionist later reassured me that there is a security camera present for safety. I found the pool to be a very pleasant temperature and had an enjoyable swim- but the shower/changing facilities would have been rather cramped if there had been more people using them and I chose to pull my clothes back on and shower back in my room.

The hotel was in “function season”, with the main rather elegant dining room with its white linen, gleaming glasses and chandeliers being used both evenings for large parties. But dinners were available in a smaller side dining area. The menu was on view in the lift, and meals looked very nice, but rather too pricey for us. We ate one evening in “The Fort” pub in walking distance through the town- good food and relaxed surroundings one evening, and excellent curries at the Indian Dining Club near to the hotel on the second evening-( opposite the railway station-using a voucher from a leaflet from the hotel).

Breakfast was ordered entirely from a menu in the small dining room on the first morning, with the main course being cooked to order. There was a range of fruit juices/ cereals etc all available. The pot of coffee was brought straight away-which seems to be the norm-but I never drink it until I’ve eaten at least half the cooked meal by which time it had cooled somewhat in its ceramic pot . It was also rather bitter. Eggs and bacon were cooked very nicely. Second morning the juices, cereals etc were available in the large dining room from a help-yourself buffet. My husband tried the haddock and said it was good.

Members of staff were all courteous and pleasant. The hotel has a lovely location on the cliff top above one of the beaches. There are pleasant walks if you turn right out of the hotel along these cliffs towards Porth. Left out of the hotel is the start of the most of the restaurants and hotels of Newquay itself. There are a lot of young revellers in the town –but they are not at all threatening-rather they do not appear to notice anyone over the age of say 40 (probably 30 even!) so you feel like one of the ghosts in the Ricky Gervais film “Ghost”. One girl bumped into me and was surprised to feel my presence and apologised-and her friend enquired why she was saying sorry. Fistral beach has been taken over by young surfer dudes, not necessarily surfing inspite of their fancy boards-many just sitting round in large groups. There were lifeguards there and I might have done a bit of body boarding there (I have a wet suit) but felt rather inferior-not because of my age-but because of my old fashioned dense polystyrene body board! There are plenty of beaches eg Mawgan Porth, Crantock within a relatively short driving distance of the hotel where I would not have stuck out like a sore thumb and felt self-conscious enjoying North Cornwall’s best asset-its beaches and surf. We enjoyed walking several stretches of coastal path over our weekend thanks to the National Trust’s hard work preserving such facilities. The Hotel Bristol provided a good comfortable base for exploring these places.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Now, I'm sure that when we're old & grey(er), we'll be glad of a nice rest home in which to enjoy our final years. But we don't expect to pay £109 a night for this authentic experience when we're still under 50 and hoping for a couple of night's relaxation in the comfort of a nice hotel !

We're not snobs, and not even particularly fussy, but we checked out of this hotel without staying when we saw the rooms.

Old brown blankets on the beds, a bathroom suite that must have been there since the 1970's (along with the rest of the decor), old, tired, smelly. Need I go on ?

In order to provide a fair and honest review I have to say that the receptionist on duty at the time, and the hotel porter, did their best to deal with our complaint, but it has to be said that they (without actually saying so) seemed to agree with what we were saying. We were shown an alternative room, which had a view of the sea, instead of the wasteland but which was, otherwise, no better.

Post-departing, the Customer Care has been abysmal, with no offer of a refund, full or partial, despite the fact that the room was unused by ourselves, and no meals etc. were taken.

Best Western profess to "take all Customer Feedback seriously". They forget to add "as long as we agree with it" !

A TripAdvisor reviewer called 'crime' (ominous !) challenges us to "find anything better". Firstly, I fear that this says a lot about the British Hotel industry if the Hotel Bristol is considered as one of the best. Secondly, I'd say "try the new Travelodge down the road". Clean, smart, friendly. Streets ahead.

Room Tip: Many rooms overlook a large area of wasteland
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
BWHB, Manager at Best Western Hotel Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2011

For the benefit of other readers I feel it is necessary to point out that you were offered a free 2 night stay in our best room despite walking out without speaking to the duty manager. This offer still stands. We consider this the most suitable recompense as you booked with Tesco points. If my staff had been of the opinion that you were contemplating leaving they would have informed me immediately so we could have resolved the situation. It is correct that currently we do have sheets and blankets, this was the case when you stayed here on 3 previous occasions. We are in the process of changing to duvets. The view of the plot across the road is, I admit, not pleasing but it is beyond our control. Only 15 of our 74 bedrooms face it and these do have net curtains. I can assure you we do take our guests concerns seriously - the sooner they are raised the better they are resolved.

Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed at the Bristol Hotel the last week in Sept which was one of the hottest weeks of the year which was enjoyable, but the bonus came with the hotel which was everything we could have ask for, very helpful staff who always went that bit extra to sort anything out, breakfasts were excellent, cooked to order, a wide range of cereals, fruit, juices and pattisseries.Free daily local paper in the lobby. The room was large and very clean with views out to sea we spent a few evening watching the sun set over the sea from the comfortable easy chairs, the wet room was large and had just been completed it was excellent, so was the bed, there was no night noise, there is a large carpark at the back of the hotel which is free which is a bonus as parking rates in Newquay are very expensive. We will be back.

Room Tip: ask for sea view all have large windows.
1  Thank barbara g
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Stayed for a week, very spacious double room en suite with bath and shower, large free car park, very pleasant staff, meals were highest quality,the cooked breakfast is cooked to order and I challenge anyone to find anything better. Had a really enjoyable week although picked a windy time but hey ho! We'll be back next year without a doubt.Recommended.

1  Thank crime