“Bring on the Titanic Murder Mystery”

Best Western Hotel Bristol
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Newquay
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Had a great time this New Year at The Bristol, 13 of us stayed, 4 generations and something for everyone! The staff are all very accomodating, the food was to an excellent standard, entertainment was suberb on both evenings and the rooms are clean and fully equiped. It is lovely to see that the Young family are keeping a traditional hotel with family values still at the top of their agenda. Hopefully we will be returning in March for the Titanic Murder Mystery for my wives 40th birthday.
Keep up the good work all at The Bristol, untill next time!

Room Tip: upgrade to a room with a sea view it's worth every penny
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Froogles

Reviewed 3 January 2012

We have just returned from a new Years break to this Hotel. As on previous visits we had excellent service from all the staff, the chef was brilliant and the Hotel is very clean and comfortable.. We had a lovey spacious sea view room overlooking the bay with wonderfil views. The Hotel has lots of charm and character and in our opinion one of the best Hotels in Newquay and very conveniently located for the town and cliff walks. We have no hesitation in recommending it to others.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Visited with friends on new year package. As others have written staff are excellent and all seem to be local & proud of their hotel. The room was clean albeit a bit old fashioned but more than adequate. Food was excellent with attention to detail eg warm milk with coffee at breakfast. The entertainment was well pitched to the age range and all seemed to have a good time & I liked the dress code which makes it an event. Whilst new year breaks are not cheap I feel that at less than £200 for a party package this compares very well with some venues charging nearly as much just for a meal. I would definitely return for a short break.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I really felt the need to leave a review of this hotel - firstly I am cornish and have been coming to this hotel for the last 5 years for my partners Christmas works do - we book in about 2.30pm on the day and then use the facilities that the hotel has to offer - It is the best Hotel in Newquay by far - excellent staff who are so very very accomodating and friendly and some have been there working for 20 - 30 years so the management must be doing a good job - The rooms are really clean as is the whole of the hotel areas - Food is absolutely gorgous. The beds are extremely comfortable and rooms lovely and warm - the staff will do anything to make your stay a good one - All I can say is if you want a Christmas Party Night and stay over or just a meal and stop over for a special occasion then go and stay at the Hotel Bristol - It is an old style Hotel with old style character and extremely friendly staff - Merry Christmas to you all at the Hotel Bristol once again i have had a wonderful time - look forward to coming again next December

Room Tip: we had a room on level 2 which was a double room with single bed as well and ensuite bathroom - side...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We went there using Tesco Clubcard reward vouchers but up graded to a seaview room which at £30 a night I thought rather steep.
I shall start with the negative - very 80's decor, although very clean. The bathroom we had was in desperate need of an upgrade, the shower was poor, but as said before was clean.
Yes there are blankets on the bed but that didn't bother me, the beds were comfortable and towels and bed linen lovely and fresh.
The service was excellent, all the staff we met were very pleasent and helpful. We ate in the Hotel every night, the food was excellent although over priced. Breakfast was cooked fresh and everything was brought to the table - no buffet. This made a refreshing change as everything was hot and freshly cooked.
There were function on the Friday and Saturday night but we were put into a cracking smaller dining room where we were treated royally.
If we were ever to go back to Newquay we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Despite the ratehr excessive rate to upgrade the seaview is well worth having.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2011

The previous guest really missed out on a wonderful stay. Yes, some of the bedrooms do have sheets and blankets but duvets are available if you ask. Our room was large with a seaview double and single en suite. The Bristol sits above the cliffs and the path down to the Tolcarne beach below. I thought the food was really good, a great selection and good service too. They have a loyal and hard working staff so willing to please.us at all times.

We can't wait to return soon

Room Tip: Ask for one of the turret rooms on the side. Our room was 150
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2011

The Sat Nav directions given by the Hotel Bristol take you directly to the hotel car park in the road behind the hotel- which was handy. There was then a rear entrance to the hotel. We had booked using Tesco Clubcard reward vouchers. Further to the report by another reviewer about their inferior room as a voucher user, on arrival we enquired whether we might get a sea view room, and it was explained to us that the voucher scheme paid for a standard room only, but that they upgrade whenever possible-(especially if you have taken up the offer of a Best Western rewards card), but they were not able to on this occasion, because there were a large number of guests booked in for a wedding on the Saturday. They had, however, given us a large side-facing room, and we could see the sea looking sideways from the large window which was nice. The bathroom was large and next morning got the morning sun through the window facing the back of the building. The suite in there was “retro” yellow-but it was all nice and clean. The room itself was very spacious, furnished in a very traditional style, and had a double and a single bed, small occasional table and 2 chairs as well as the usual wardrobe, dressers etc. It got sun through a large set of windows in the afternoon. There was flat screen TV, tea and coffee making facilities, and hairdryer. I found the sash windows difficult to open- some possibly stuck( I think) with paint-but I did find one which opened-before I started to panic (I suffer from mild claustrophobia), but it tended to drop slowly of its own accord. The whole hotel has an air of faded elegance, but is clean and warm.

We slept well on the first night. Some people have complained that the hotel uses sheets and blankets rather than duvets, but they are high quality cotton sheets and it made no difference to us-most hotels abroad have sheets. The area around the hotel is quite quiet, with minimal noise from the seafront road, which is not terribly busy. We were however disturbed on our second night by occupants in the room above coming in at 2am and apparently moving furniture about, dropping heavy objects and walking to and fro with heavy steps. Unfortunately they also had an early start and resumed their noisy activity at 7am-none of this the hotel’s fault of course!

I used the hotel’s indoor pool once –accessible down a labyrinth of corridors and through a door with a security code. It was eerily quiet there. I did not see the notice advising “no lone bathing” until afterwards because I had removed my spectacles to swim- so perhaps this notice should be outside the pool! The receptionist later reassured me that there is a security camera present for safety. I found the pool to be a very pleasant temperature and had an enjoyable swim- but the shower/changing facilities would have been rather cramped if there had been more people using them and I chose to pull my clothes back on and shower back in my room.

The hotel was in “function season”, with the main rather elegant dining room with its white linen, gleaming glasses and chandeliers being used both evenings for large parties. But dinners were available in a smaller side dining area. The menu was on view in the lift, and meals looked very nice, but rather too pricey for us. We ate one evening in “The Fort” pub in walking distance through the town- good food and relaxed surroundings one evening, and excellent curries at the Indian Dining Club near to the hotel on the second evening-( opposite the railway station-using a voucher from a leaflet from the hotel).

Breakfast was ordered entirely from a menu in the small dining room on the first morning, with the main course being cooked to order. There was a range of fruit juices/ cereals etc all available. The pot of coffee was brought straight away-which seems to be the norm-but I never drink it until I’ve eaten at least half the cooked meal by which time it had cooled somewhat in its ceramic pot . It was also rather bitter. Eggs and bacon were cooked very nicely. Second morning the juices, cereals etc were available in the large dining room from a help-yourself buffet. My husband tried the haddock and said it was good.

Members of staff were all courteous and pleasant. The hotel has a lovely location on the cliff top above one of the beaches. There are pleasant walks if you turn right out of the hotel along these cliffs towards Porth. Left out of the hotel is the start of the most of the restaurants and hotels of Newquay itself. There are a lot of young revellers in the town –but they are not at all threatening-rather they do not appear to notice anyone over the age of say 40 (probably 30 even!) so you feel like one of the ghosts in the Ricky Gervais film “Ghost”. One girl bumped into me and was surprised to feel my presence and apologised-and her friend enquired why she was saying sorry. Fistral beach has been taken over by young surfer dudes, not necessarily surfing inspite of their fancy boards-many just sitting round in large groups. There were lifeguards there and I might have done a bit of body boarding there (I have a wet suit) but felt rather inferior-not because of my age-but because of my old fashioned dense polystyrene body board! There are plenty of beaches eg Mawgan Porth, Crantock within a relatively short driving distance of the hotel where I would not have stuck out like a sore thumb and felt self-conscious enjoying North Cornwall’s best asset-its beaches and surf. We enjoyed walking several stretches of coastal path over our weekend thanks to the National Trust’s hard work preserving such facilities. The Hotel Bristol provided a good comfortable base for exploring these places.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple