All reviews silver service tolcarne beach turret room sea view traditional hotel bit dated the cliff great position third floor family room large room friendly hotel cooked breakfast bed and breakfast town centre martina beaches
Reviewed March 21, 2012

One night in room 152 which was spacious, comfortable, clean with a modern bathroom.
Free wi-fi with a good speed in all rooms. Heated indoor swimming pool.
Friendly staff.
Excellent value bar meal and a good quality cooked breakfast in the morning. Sadly no real ale on hand pump, but good bottled ale in the shape of Tribute bitter. Free on site car parking. Many rooms with sea views. Hotel is 5 mins walk from shops, attractions and beach.
I would return if in the area

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2012

The hotel is comfortable enough - as a solo business traveler it catered for my needs adequately however I would agree with some of the other review mentioning it's slightly dated.

Room service menu in the room was quite limited but someone mentioned you could actually order from the restaurant menu too I think?

Breakfast was good although would be even better if it could be from 630am or 7am for the early risers.

It's a rarity to see a hotel with English staff throughout nowadays but service from all hotel staff was excellent.

Rooms need sprucing up a bit, shower only offering a little sprinkle is something which really annoys me!

I wouldn't be in a rush to go back again but that's mainly down to me not liking Newquay!

Date of stay: March 2012
BWHB, Managing Director at Best Western Hotel Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Thank you for review. We do start breakfast at 7.15a.m. and found that it is early enough for most guests. Our night porter is always available to serve a continental breakfast much earlier. We will certainly consider moving the time if guests advise us. In the past we have served breakfast earlier for events such as the Royal Cornwall Show.
I am sorry that your shower was disappointing - our maintenance staff have attended to it. I hope you will stay with us again if your work brings you to Newquay.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

My husband and I went for a murder mystery night and stay on 10th march 2012. Has the most fantastic time. The evening was excellent as was the food, service and stay. Would definitely recommend it and can't wait to do it again.

Reviewed March 4, 2012

The only positive things I can say about this hotel are that the staff are pleasant and try to be helpful, the food is acceptable and the location is pleasant.

Everything else about it is poor - despite the relatively high price - and there are too many negatives to list them all in detail. Suffice it to say that the decor is awful throughout and the common areas look as though they haven't been touched for years and could do with a good clean. The bedroom was very dated and the furniture cheap and nasty. The bed and the pillows were extremely uncomfortable and the bathroom spartan, cheaply fitted and unwelcoming.

The whole experience is one that I would not want to repeat.

Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
BWHB, Managing Director at Best Western Hotel Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I did try to get more information from you via this site but I have not received anything to date. Not knowing your room number I am unable to comment as fully as I would wish.
We have refurbished the ground floor areas in recent years and tried to enhance the art deco features where possible. We continue to replace beds and upgrade rooms as often as we can.
I am pleased you found the service good and trust you enjoyed exploring Cornwall.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Bristol for a function and it was ok but getting very dated. The staff were friendly enough and it was quaint that we had a real key to open our room - didn't know anyone still used them! The room was a good size but instead of a duvet we had a number of blankets - some crochet - which had really seen better days..oh and the toilet paper was those single sheets in a box which did at least make me chuckle!

The bar manager was excellent but was having to train up the other staff on the night which when faced with a lot of thirsty people did delay things somewhat.

All in all it was fine for what we paid but would not go there if we had a choice.

Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are in the process of upgrading our bedrooms. Some rooms now have duvets and all will have them very soon. I am pleased you thought Phil in the Bar was excellent and I am sorry there was delay in service because he was training a colleague. No matter how much practice you get beforehand the best way to learn is with a bar full of people. I hope you agree.