All reviews seaside hotel tolcarne beach coach party an update single room town centre night stay dance floor pleasant stay cooked breakfast tea and coffee making facilities bus stop bit dated pool table the cliff full english breakfast yogurt
Reviewed January 6, 2018 via mobile

Time has moved on, but not in the Cliffdene. As you walk into the hotel you seem to walk back in time to the 1980's. If this hotel is profitable, then it could do with a face lift. If not, then that's the answer. Having said that there are a number of large hotels in Newquay that are now closed and derelict, so the Cliffdene must be commended for surviving in trouble times. More importantly, the staff here were found to be pleasant, very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was adequate whilst the evening meal can't be commented on as the restaurant was closed? As a base to visit the local area, its a good cheap(ish) base. Oh, and if you pay the extra, the view over Western beach is great. Bucket list ticked, but doubt we'll be back. There's a Travelodge in town for the same price, but set in this century.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2018 via mobile

The hotel is very dated and there is no WiFi in the rooms. However, my single room was a good size, clean and warm. The shower took about 5mins to warm up, but had great pressure. I only paid £22 and it was excellent value but i wouldn't want to pay much more than that. Staff were very nice as well.

1  Thank tuhpeegee
Reviewed December 12, 2017 via mobile

Couldn't fault the staff - very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and comfortable. Great on suite shower and comfortable bed. Heater in room gave ample warmth and had various settings. Heated towel rail in shower room. Great value for money at £20 a night through Booking.com. Parking not an issue and if you can't Park outside, the Hotel has a deal with the nearby Bristol Hotel whereby Cliffdene residents can use their parking facilities. I didn't use the bar or restaurant. I use ear plugs at bedtime so cannot comment on noise levels.

1  Thank NeilGo
Reviewed November 26, 2017

Our room was nice enough a sea view again, but the shower room sink had a huge crack in it, I told the reception they seem to already know about it and as I said it weren't leaking I got the feeling nothing would be done about it.
The food quality was poor so was the cooking of it, and they served up meager portions, my first starter was a solitary 2 inch mushroom in the center of the plate with a bit of melted stilton over it, we had ONE small stainless steel tray with 2 bits of broccoli, couple of carrot slices between 2 of us, our first breakfast the sausage was tiny, bacon under cooked but at least my poached egg was done properly, so disappointed with the so called turkey and tinsel we never ate there any more but ate out instead.
So we won't be staying there again unless the food changes.

Room tip: Sea views are on the first floor
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2017 via mobile

I was booked this hotel by my employer for two night stay, a single room was booked. However, upon arrival and after checking in I realized the bed was too small, it was a single. I then approached the receptionist who was very polite and friendly.

I asked if I could get a bigger bed and I would pay the additional cost if necessary and they said yes, but when I went to pay they said it was ok I don’t have to.

The hotel is in a fantastic location and walking distance to all the major attractions. They have free WiFi & free parking on site. Breakfast is fantastic and the hotel is clean and a bonus they don’t allow pets which is good as I’m allergic to cats and dogs. I have seen the price paid for my stay and it’s value for money for the service provided.

The staff are the best, felt at home through out my entire stay. Much better service than most of the 4 and 5 star I stayed at.

I recommend this hotel 24/7 it’s up up way up!

Date of stay: November 2017