“Perfect few hours of kayaking, well-guided”

Newquay Water Sports Centre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: In the very heart of Newquay we are based in the historic and picturesque Newquay Harbour with its very own beach and fantastic facilities. We have over 20 different water and land activities for you to choose from with lessons, experiences and tours what ever your age or ability we have something perfect,fun and amazing for you to do. Offering activities for individual,couples, groups, families and friends with group discounts available on most packages. Pick from................... Jet Boarding experience (world first), Jet Ski Board Blast, Surfing lessons beginner/advanced/coaching, Body Boarding lessons, Sea Kayaking lessons and tours (sit on top kayak), Waveski lessons (kayak surfing) Stand Up Paddleboarding beginner lessons and tours, Stand Up Paddleboard Surf lessons and SUP Explorer sessions, Monster SUP (8 man stand up paddleboard experience)flat water or advanced surf (World first), Surf Rafting (White water rafting catching and riding the surf.. a world first), Raft Safari (White water raft coastal explore), Pirate Challenge Raft Building contest, Beach Volleyball, Gibbon Beach Slacklining (low level tightrope walking) Harbour Challenge (group contest with a mix of our water activities), Team building Challenge, Beach games, Climbing & Abseiling, Also we have a hire centre - Wetsuits, Body Boards, Surfboards, Stand Up Paddleboards(comes with all safety equipment), Kayaks singles and doubles(comes with all safety equipment). We have fantastic facilities in an amazing location with two beaches on our doorstep - Harbour beach and Towan beach and with lockers, showers and pay & display parking all on site there are no long walks. Come and visit us or give us a call for any advice so we can provide the right activities for you.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 9 October 2017

We had a brilliant kayaking lesson with these guys. We were given a friendly welcome, and a professional-sounding briefing before getting kitted-out and onto the sands on the harbour, where our guide ran through the basics of safety on the water and how to makes the most of the trip.
We were impressed by the combination of guiding and instruction. We enjoyed a few hours up and down the coastline, spotting a seal and (on the cliff top) a newlywed couple having their photos taken, and being given some local history lessons too.
Most importantly, our guide pitched things perfectly: knowing when we wanted to try a little adventure and some new tricks, and knowing just as well when we fancied drifting along and taking in the views. We looked at a few companies for this trip and I'm glad we picked Newquay Water Sports Centre.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

My partner and I had a 221 Kayaking lesson on Saturday 7 October. After squeezing ourselves into our wet-suits and collecting our kayaks/paddles, we set off down the slipway into the small harbour. After some good, clear instruction from Duncan and some practice in the harbour to make sure would could steer/control the kayak with some competence, Duncan took us out around the coast. The weather was wet and windy which, for us, added to the experience - it was fun, but hard work, heading into the wind and riding the waves. We had the opportunity to navigate channels between the rocks (which was amazing and OPTIONAL). After navigating the channel I managed to turn my kayak sideways into a wave which rolled me in to the sea - which was surprisingly warm. It was easy to get back on the kayak to have a second (successful) attempt. Then we headed out around the "headland" where we felt the full force of the wind. It was hard work but we did our best to battle. Being novices the winds eventually got the better of us and to ensure we didn't get exhausted (which would have compromised our safety) the decision was made to head back towards the shore. What a difference with the wind behind your back. I felt like an experienced kayaker for a moment! Once back towards the shore Duncan taught us how to "surf " the waves on the kayak. Again the instruction was clear and precise. Although I didn't quite master the art it was brilliant fun. My partner was better at this than me but got a little smug and raised his paddle in the air in celebration - It was fun watching him pull himself out of the water! All instruction and equipment was included in the price paid. Duncan, Scott and Matt were great and made us feel welcome which enhanced this amazing experience. Although we did not get cold, we were thankful for the hot cup of coffee after peeling ourselves out of our wet suits and changing back into our ordinary clothes. This amazing adventure was a birthday present for my partner and he enjoyed the session as much as I did - so much so he has asked for a roof-rack for Christmas! We are just into our 50's and would highly recommend this activity. If I had read in more detail before booking, I would have paid extra for a photographer to capture our morning in print! A great experience - highly recommended.

Reviewed 23 September 2017

Never really been one for messing about in the water, but after planning our little trip to Cornwall decided i wanted to have a go at body boarding, called a few places in Newquay and the Watersports Centre were the ones that seemed to tick all the boxes.

We booked our lesson for first thing on a Monday morning, turned up and paid for parking, and due to a mix up our lesson hadn't been put in the diary, turns out it was for the best as there werent any waves worth catching apparently, they booked us back in for the afternoon (refunded our parking which was a nice touch).

Our instructor was Duncan who was great, listened to what we wanted (i'm not the greatest of swimmers, and looked worried when he was talking about 6-8ft waves, he picked up on this and decided we'd use the beach next to the harbour as its not so extreme.

The lesson itself was brilliant, you can tell Duncan has a real passion for this stuff, he warned us we'd be knackered by the time we'd finished, i'd booked 2 hours and we managed about an hour and a half, during which time i found out i can stay on a board, but struggle to get the timing right, Duncan managed to get my wife catching the waves, i think i just need more practice.

I have to say the kit provided is great, and there was a large selection to choose from. Will definitely be back there next year when we visit Cornwall,

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Second time we have booked a leaving function with these guys and they have been great both times. Excellent service and instructors, everyone really enjoyed. highly recommended !!!

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

I and 13 others were lucky enough to spend 4 days in this beautiful area under the watchful eye of the amazing staff at this centre.
The itinerary was flexible and adapted as needed to allow us to get the most out of each activity whatever the weather.
The kit was top notch and kept everyone toasty warm and all of the equipment was in great condition.
Duncan, Scott and Matt were great coaches. Safety was paramount at all times and they struck the right balance between pushing us outside of our comfort zones while making sure that we had the time of our lives!
Surfing, coasteering, surf rafting, sea kayaking and monster SUPing all in 4 days - phew!
I can't wait to come back again next year with my family - thanks guys.