Hotel Penzance
US$146
US$91
US$94
Travelocity
Higher Pentreath Campsite(Penzance)(Great Value!)
US$18
Pitchup.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbay restaurantsteep hillgroupon dealcar parkthe complimentary afternoon tealovely hotelrestaurant staffsea viewst michael's mounthonesty barevery afternoonno lifton arrivalshort breaklovely viewmounts baycream tea
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We try to use Hotel Penzance whenever we are in town, and have never been disappointed.
The rooms are are first class with all the touches, such as bath robes, that you would expect from a top notch hotel. The staff are friendly and complementary coffee and cakes are an afternoon treat.
The Bay resturant is superb and all the food from the breakfast's to evening meals are hard to better.
The highest complement that we can give is to say that it really is like a home from home.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank firemanjohn
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Had a 2 night stay here and can't rave about it enough, staff wonderful, room fantastic, food OMG amazing, overall the hotel is fab, spotless, we had a superior room and the view was lovely, we could lie in bed and watch the waves roll into shore, only negative point was we only stayed 2 nights wish it was more..... can't wait to go back

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dmay024
Reviewed December 5, 2011

This hotel was as near to perfect as you would wish. The welcome given, the cleanliness of our room, the attention to detail, all through the visit all the staff were so pleasant and attentive. The food in the restaurant was excellent as was the breakfast. Well worth visiting and we hope to return again.

Room Tip: Look on the website which gives the size of the rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Clive P
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I thought long and hard about what to call this review, which on the face of it may be hard to believe.

The staff are almost uniformly excellent. They are well trained (very rare in a British Hotel) and like working there (unknown in a British Hotel). Both of these things show in the way that they go about their work and the flexibility they were willing to show when asked. They are smart, attractive and professional.

They are also friendly - yet I would not describe the hotel as a friendly place (the first of my hmmm points). Something about the other customers, the lack of eye contact - the fact that few people respond when you say good morning to them, pushing past you in a corridor instead of saying excuse me, the repeated tendency to look one up and down before turning away. This not from one customer but from all we encountered from the over dressed ladies and men who lunch to others staying in the accomodation. We weren't singled out - no one spoke to anyone. I had a feeling throughout my stay that I was not quite up to the mark as a customer. Nothing overt - but they would just as soon I hadn't come. Odd. Little the hotel can do about other customers, but it does create an impression.

The rooms are well maintained, though room 8 has a window that only almost shuts and as it was very windy throughout our stay, it shrieked through the night and kept us both awake. The wall paper is heavy duty and very attractive, the lighting fixtures are high quality. The furniture is of excellent quality.

The mattress on the bed in room 8 is of so poor a quality that is crushes completely when you sit on the edge of it. The wires, even with a mattress topper on the bed press into you as you lie there. I found it deeply uncomfortable. I was amazed that so much care had been taken over fixtures, yet nothing spent on to me the most important element - the comfort of the bed.

I notice another customer has complemented the comfort of the beds. Just goes to show.

The breakfast is excellent - great choice and fresh food. The evening menu is also of high quality with a great deal of care and attention being shown to the production and the presentation of the food. The fact that the restaurant is run by a highly skilled chef made the prices to me seem reasonable.

The issue for me with the food, was that often too many flavours fought together on the plate. Lamb perfectly cooked to request, totally overpowered by intense beef flavour from the potato. A perfect creme brulee fighting with chocolate sorbet to see who could win out (hands down to the sorbet - masked everything including the wine).

The car park is difficult, but to anyone who has driven for more that a year, should pose no problem. My car was hit by another causing damage. The hotel was helpful and went out of their way to do what they could. Still left me thinking I could /should have stayed at home.

So all in all? Well maintained, professionally run hotel that is worthy of its 4 star status. I thought the location was more central than it is, though as Penzance is nothing like the pretty seaside town that my unreliable memory told me it was, this was not a problem. If you haven't been, imagine Peterborough with fishing.

Price wise the hotel is really at the top end of what it is worth. We didn't get an upgrade or any extras so I can't comment on those. I didn't make the hotel aware that the window in the room did not shut properly and the shrieking of the wind through the gap. I kind of left this to them to notice and correct as it was shrieking very well when the housekeeper came in to clean the room.

I also didn't comment to them about the bed. Whilst the hotel may say that this did not give them the chance to put it right, I counter that they chose the mattress and they set the expectation through their price point and marketing. They think it's the right one, I think it lets them down.

I would not stay again, but I can't say that there was anything about the place or the staff which is not accurately described in the brochure and nothing I could point to as a major problem preventing me returning.

All I can do is say that on reflection, when I think of the Penzance Hotel, I just think hmmm...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Phil J
Kehribar, Owner at Hotel Penzance, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2011

Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience here...You are quite right about the housekeepers needing to close the sash windows fully, it was an oversight and it is now securely closed. We had no idea about the deterioration of the sprung mattress, but will certainly rectify the problem; there is no arguement that it's essential that our guests have a good night's sleep and do try to maintain our rooms to the highest possible standard to make sure they do. As we don't stay in the rooms ourselves, we do ask for guest feedback on the room facilities before checkout, just so we can keep abreast of maintenance and refurbishment issues which might have otherwise escaped our notice. Our staff would have happily rectified the situation for you to the best of their ability if you had brought it to their attention, or offered a room move. I can only apologise if you felt that in so doing, you would have felt even more discomforted.

Reviewed November 30, 2011

Only spent the one night, but we were treated like their best customer who was staying for weeks! Realy nice place to be, with great views from our room (deluxe) and stunning views whilst eating our lovely cooked breakfast, which was also very nice. Room itself was massive. Great shower/wetroom and the ipod dock was a great touch! IMO.

• Stayed: November 2011