Having found the place first time from the direction on the website, despite it being tucked away, we marched up the front steps and pushed the unlocked door open. A quick hello elicited more helloes back before Reuben and Marilyn Jenkins appeared, all smiles, to welcome us. Reuben helped my husband with the bags from the car while Marilyn showed me to the room (Room 1). This relaxed friendliness and helpfulness was a major part of what makes a stay at Ten Ocean View a great experience.
One of the other gold star features is the breakfast. For a small place, the cooked choice is incredible and the portions very generous, and the fruit salad memorable. The laid-out options on the side buffet are also nice, with a good range of homemade items. If you nab the round table in the bay window with the view, that's the icing on the cake!
Having learned that the owners, Gill and Mike Packham, were taking a break from running their B&B, and had installed 'staff' to run the place, we did have misgivings. However, it seems Reuben and Marilyn served their apprenticeship next door well and have taken over at Ten Ocean View without dropping the ball. As well as being always cheerful and friendly, they were happy to share their knowledge of where to eat and drink, and what to do, if you needed to know.
We enjoyed wonderful weather during the whole of our stay which enhanced the trip, of course. Room 1 is realistically not large so I'd have to say, had we been confined to barracks at any point, our stay might have been less enjoyable. The room looks out onto the back of the building, onto flat roofs, garages and everybody's washing! To watch the TV (we never even worked out how to turn it on) you would need to sit on the bed as there's nowhere else. The room, however, was very bright, clean and fresh looking, the bed linens were a good quality and there was ample storage. The bathroom was compact but spotless, with a good shower - but another shelf and hooks behind the door might not go amiss!
As our car is quite small, we were even honoured with parking it in the garage rather than the open parking area - which spared it attention from the seagulls!
All in all a very nice place to stay in St Ives, which really is a terrific place to visit in Cornwall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ten Ocean View is a luxury B&B with breathtaking views of Porthmeor Beach, The Island and across St Ives to Godrevy Lighthouse. Being just a stone's throw from the beach we are ideally placed for a beach break, with St Ives harbour and town only a few minutes' stroll further. We have four beautifully appointed en-suite guest rooms, all designed to ensure a comfortable and relaxing stay. Two of our rooms have spectacular sea views, one of which boasts a spa bath. All our rooms are flooded with the world-renowned St Ives light and elegantly furnished to ensure you enjoy the perfect holiday or short break in Cornwall. There is free parking with three of our rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Ten Ocean View reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 10 Ocean View
- Ten Ocean View Hotel St Ives
- Ten Ocean View St Ives, Cornwall