2,319 results
All reviews privilege room jacuzzi and sauna leisure facilities car park city centre lovely hotel per day good size walk in shower kippers reception staff nespresso machine on site parking location is excellent third floor few minutes walk standard room
Reviewed August 20, 2018

This was my another stay in this hotel. Through the years I noticed that some areas needs to be taken under more attention. Firstly gym - equipment wasn't replace from ages.The time for checking the water in the swimming pool and jacuzzi - I know there are specific rules but when the customers are sitting in the jacuzzi - don't think is the best one. First time I was absolutely "surprised" by staff during breakfast. Nobody noticed me for over 10 minutes waiting at my table which I chose on my own to order my breakfast from the menu. Nobody offered me coffee or tea - the flask with tea was on the table -in 4star hotel? I have to admit - coffee machine was placed near the breakfast buffet. After 10 minutes I found a waiter who said you need to place your order with different waiter , I am not taking orders. Again I had to find the proper waiter and than place my order. My breakfast - omelette was ready for me after 15 minuets extra waiting. I used this time to observe how the team works - again some tables were clean when others were still covered with dirty plates. The waiters brought cooked breakfast and they didn't know exactly who placed the order - asking people at different tables - did you order porridge or poached eggs. A few changes needed to keep the standard

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Craig F, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2018

Dear dorotaraeside

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

Unfortunately there is never a right time to carry out water testing and unfortunately it needs to be carried out at a certain time. As our swimming pool and jacuzzi are normally busy there isn't a suitable time to wait until either is empty.

Thank you for your feedback about breakfast - I will discuss with the Food & Beverage Manager to ensure the staff are trained correctly.

Reviewed August 16, 2018 via mobile

We arrived quite late, but were accommodated in the dining room just before they finished serving. The lady serving us was fantastic. We were asking about the best way to get into the centre,as I was on crutches but still up for walking a little way. She went so far as to get us a map, and trace me a route. Above and beyond for someone serving at the table. Unfortunately it was a good few weeks ago and I have forgotten her name, but I think she may have been German...?
The room and bathroom were big enough, very comfortable beds and excellent breakfast.
I made use of the gym and pool. Small but v pleasant.
Well located for the Cathedral Green-about 10 minutes walk away.
Check out was efficient and friendly.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Craig F, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2018

Dear CardiffFloyd

Thank you for your lovely feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the quality service of the team.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2018

Stayed one night in an executive suite. It was nice to find a note from Craig welcoming me back as a returning guest. The room was very quiet, no road noise at all, (as I had requested) and well fitted out, good bathroom too. We didn't have time to try the spa/pool facilities. The hotel is in a great location, easy to access as you enter the city and with a good sized car park (£12 a night), which is why we have stayed here a few times. It is just a few steps away from the cathedral close and all the shops and restaurants in the city. The only disappointment was the breakfast. They had run out of baguettes by 9:15, so only flabby sliced bread. I ordered porridge and soft-boiled eggs. The porridge arrived promptly but the eggs didn't arrive. When I asked the server said that, yes she had seen them sitting in the kitchen (!) - so obviously when they were brought through they were cold and quite hard. It was quite hard to get service and a number of staff didn't seem too clear what they were supposed to be doing. I also paid a rate that included breakfast so not sure now what the price difference was, but there were a number of signs saying you got the cheapest rate of £10 if you paid direct at the hotel, booking the night before. So i was left thinking I had paid over the odds. I would definitely stay again, but possibly not for breakfast and certainly i will check the rate I am paying first.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear PLowndes

Thank you for your constructive feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel. It is great to see that you enjoyed the quality of the bedroom and indeed the welcome note from myself!

I am sorry that you were disappointed about the price of breakfast and your breakfast experience. I will discuss this with the Food & Beverage team to ensure that improvements are made.

Reviewed August 15, 2018

From the outset, I don't want to be too critical but I’m afraid this review is a bit of a rant (Sorry). Our 4 day stay at this property was unnecessarily frustrating, and moreover, because of some low impact and easily recoverable incidents.

The Mercure Southgate has a number of positives. Firstly, it is a very well appointed property, a credit to the owners/developers. Secondly, the Mercure franchise they have bought in is also a really good and appropriate fit. However, there are some questions over the effectiveness of the operators and their capacity "spread the franchise mesage" in the training of their line employees ......

It is a beautiful building with generously sized bedrooms and the most pleasant aroma greets you when entering the front hall. Moreover, it is perfectly situated, close to the university, court and city centre. One operations positive which deserves acknowledgement, is the pace of check-in (Hannah FOM) - not rushed, not lethargic, just right. Significantly, this was consistently evident throughout the week. You will rarely have to wait in long lines here. This is particularly impressive as Hannah appears to be one of only three employees at the Front of House area (of this c. 200 room property). I routinely witness long and lethargic waits in UK hotels (the dreaded 15 min check-in), so this capacity to manage the comings and goings of guests expeditiously was noticeable and appreciated. However, this is where it ends, and one feels like one has to shake employees into responding/acting.

After check in, we realised the aircon was not working (Yes, it is far from an apocalyptic problem, but Exeter is hot hot hot, especially for our infant). We reported it promptly, and then the details become increasingly disjointed. We were told it would be remedied within the hour, but the next morning it transpired that they do not staff maintenance engineers on weekends. There was evasiveness over whether the problem was Hotel-wide, just our room or a block of rooms? We never got a consistent answer. On Monday/Tuesday, a maintenance engineer came to the room twice. Strangely, I could immediately tell the difference in Aircon performance after moving rooms, but the maintenance engineer seemingly could not? I will not draw out this “rant”, but it is so unfortunate that something so rescuable can unnecessarily accelerate frustration. There just seems to be a ubiquitous challenge in their employees capacity to read a guests challenge, interpret it and then to react and remedy it. Moreover, I really resented the fact that I had to work myself up into a (for want of a better word) tantrum in order to elicit a reaction. We were in Exeter partially for work and partially for relaxation, why am I forced to expound this level of emotional energy just to just get a service reaction?

For any prospective guest reading this, it is clear that our challenges were not overly major service failures, and this hotel is far from ‘Faulty Towers’. At the same time, a reader can easily gauge our level of frustration from the above review, less so from the Aircon fault, but from the drawn out service failure. A closing recommendation to prospective guests, if you stay in this property anytime from April to October, MAKE SURE the aircon works properly as Exeter is hot and humid. Secondly, I dont think prospective guests will encounter major challenges, but do not assume employees will proactively remedy any challenge. Be unambiguous and very direct with the staff as our experience informs us that they need that level of communication……. If you are not absolutely confident in their commitment to resolve an issue, do not wait, instead immediately request the Operations or General manager!! Apart form all that the place is great :)

Room Tip: Check the Aircon, and courtyard rooms may be loud due to the smoking area under them...
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business

Dear robertpro2solutions

Thank you for your detailed feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel.

I am pleased to see that you were impressed with the service provided by Reception and indeed Hannah.

I appreciate your comments about the AC and the manner in which this was not rectified to your satisfaction at the time. I understand that the situation was isolated to a few rooms, which required external Maintenance technicians to come and rectify the situation.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

Always a good stay here, we can’t fault it. Great that they now take dogs as we can now take the pooch with us to Cornwall and stay here on the way. Rooms and facilities are excellent, nice option to have a swim in the morning. The location is perfect for exploring Exeter and the car park is very useful.

We look forward to visiting again very soon.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Dear sienna909

Thank you for your lovely feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel. It is nice to get such positive feedback from a dog-lover as well!

I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.