2,325 results
All reviews privilege room jacuzzi and sauna leisure facilities car park city centre lovely hotel per day good size walk in shower kippers nespresso machine reception staff location is excellent third floor standard room few minutes walk public areas
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The hotel needs updating also the rooms are not up to the level that I would have expected. The staff wasn't very welcoming either. Coach parking is also none existent. I hope not to be staying here in the near future.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Craig F, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear amm6996

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your recent experience at the Hotel. Due to our city centre location we have limited coach parking available, however we do provide coach operators details of where they are able to park.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Though the hotel is in a quiet vicinity, it is just a short walk just from Exeter Cathedral and the city centre where the main shopping centres are located. On the other direction, the Exeter Quayside is also about 10-minute walk. The hotel decor is warm and cozy. The hotel room that we stayed was quiet and spacious; and the bed really comfortable. There is a large open air carpark adjacent to the hotel. Staff are friendly and helpful. Highly recommendable.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear chanalice18

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel - we are delighted to see that you enjoyed our central location and friendliness and helpfulness of the team.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the Hotel soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My stay was one night only, but I do find this place to be very convenient for either a leisure or a business trip to Exeter. Just a step away from the major attractions - the river Exe, the Cathedral and the shopping street.
The room had a nice wormy feeling and a modern bathroom with a walk-in shower. Very comfortable bed and plenty of space and storage.
Food was excellent - I had one of the best Ribeye steaks you could find, tender, juicy and perfectly cooked. I really enjoyed the espresso coffee machine with a rich variety of coffee blends next morning - a rare feature on a breakfast buffet anywhere around.
Very efficient service at Reception, quick and polite.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Ivan K

Thank you for your lovely feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel. It is great to see that you enjoyed the quality of the food at both dinner and breakfast - we have recently launched a new range of breakfast offerings to provide more variety to the guests, so I am delighted to see that you enjoyed.

I hope that we can welcome you back to Exeter soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Staffs at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. The location is very convenient to go anywhere in the central part of the city. The menu of the breakfast was entirely the same every day. As I stayed at the hotel for five nights, I wanted to have something different. I was annoyed by the noise from the parking in the late night.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear BackPacker810265

Thank you for your lovely feedback about our central location and great team. It was lovely to have you stay with us, however I am sorry that you were tired of the variety of breakfast.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Four out of the six treadmills/cross trainers in the gym are currently out of order. The two exercise bikes are in a sorry state with the rubber falling off the handles and cracked/decrepit saddle - unhygienic! Impossible to get a proper work out as there is a queue of people waiting to use the remaining equipment that functions. To top it all the spin dryer for swimming togs was out of order too! Get a grip Southgate!

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank ThreeGenerations2

Dear ThreeGenerations2

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback about your gym experience at the Hotel. Please be assured that we are currently working on resolving the issues with regards to the equipment to ensure that we continue to provide the quality experience that our Leisure Club members expect.