All reviewsfudgebeer gardenthe pubcellar barcomplimentary portfamily partynext morningno liftboutique hotelgreat bathroomsky tvcentral locationnespresso machinedouble glazingexeter cathedralfew minutes walka great nights sleep
Reviewed June 11, 2018

We visited City Gate as a family for 2 nights. The hotel experience was first rate, the rooms beautifully furnished, clean and an extremely comfortable bed. Lovely little touches like Nespresso machine and fresh milk in the fridge for your tea and coffee. Reception staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. Sadly I cannot say the same about the restaurant. The decor is tired and quite frankly feels as though it needs a good clean. We waited 2 hours to be served dinner, we were warned there would be a delay as there was a large party in, so we accepted this and got on with our evening. At the end of the evening we could not get anyone to take any notice of us for a bill so we left the table. This was not a one off, we waited 45 minutes the next morning to be served breakfast. This was included in the rate but was disappointing. One rasher of bacon with a full English, a teaspoon of baked beans, and we had to ask for juice, toast, butter, jam, way too much effort to get breakfast. Next morning a little better but still slow and not able to serve the full menu as they had run out of ingredients. In summary, stay at the hotel, excellent, avoid the restaurant and go out for breakfast!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
City_Gate_Exeter, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2018

Hello Kipsmum,

I hope you are well and had a lovely weekend.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the City Gate and I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations or live up to our own high standards.

We want you to know that we value your comments and I have passed on your feedback to the relevant departments so that we can continue to make improvements and ensure that issues you experienced do not happen again in the future.

I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to get it right in the future, and ask that you contact me directly with the date of your return so that I can personally ensure your enjoyment and satisfaction.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed June 7, 2018

It's hard to assign a rating in that had I just stayed the one night, May 26, I would have given a 5-star rating. But then I came back and had a very different room and experience. The hotel is recently redone, so you get old-hotel charm but great new-hotel amenities and comfort. My room that night was wonderful. It was spacious, nicely decorated, and thoughtfully appointed.The same for the bathroom--large, comfortably arranged, well appointed with great toiletries, etc. It all felt kind of luxurious. As it was a warm day, I was thrilled to learn the rooms were air-conditioned. Since there's no chance for a cross breeze, it would have been unbearably warm and stuffy otherwise. The A/C also helped with soft white noise to drown out the possibility of any noise from the bar below, if the window was open. The bed was super comfy, with luxury linens. The rooms come with a little carafe of port wine and couple bits of Devon fudge--both on the house. Everything about the room seemed so well thought out. It made for a relaxing one-night stay as a jumping off point to explore Devon. I returned, again for a one-night stay on June 1. I was looking forward to the same level of comfort. I was told my room was the newest addition. It was so new, it didn't even have a room number on the door, but I was told it was room 16. It was kind of a shock. It's got the same decor and same nice amenities. But it was the tiniest hotel room I've ever seen (and I've encountered some small rooms traveling around Europe). It was so small as to be terribly awkward and uncomfortable to move around in. The only place my suitcase fit was on the floor blocking the door. They'd put the same doubled-up single beds, making a king, and that took up almost ALL the floor space that was leftover from the desk. Might be wiser to just put a single bed in this tiny room. The bathroom was, sadly, ridiculous. Again, it used the same high standard of materials, but one had to go up 3 rather steep steps (steeper than the average staircase, so a bit risky in the dark) to find the tiniest bathroom in the world crammed into an impossibly small space. Sitting on the toilet, if I bent forward my face was in the sink. Standing at the small sink (the kind usually meant as a hand-washing sink) it was literally impossible to bend over to wash one's face as there was a wall behind you allowing only a smidge over a foot to squeeze between the sink and the wall.. Many adults would not have fit in the tiny space allotted between the sink and the wall that you had to squeeze through to get to the small shower. The only way to use the sink to brush teeth or wash my face was to angle my bum at an awkward angle away from the wall and come at the sink sideways, trying to avoid rapping my knees on the toilet. There was a heated towel rack, but it was tiny, so much so it was only useful for one hand towel. It was a busy weekend, I was told, due to it being a visiting day for the university. As a result, my breakfast card that I hung on the door as instructed was never picked up. I had a flight to catch and by the time I noticed the card was still there, time was short. The young woman working reception was helpful and apologetic and she had the kitchen rush a breakfast for me. I appreciated the effort to get something to me in time. Apparently all they had time for was instant porridge, but they put a breakfast together and did the best they could to make it look nice with some sliced bananas and such. But I was disappointed since I'd put my card out plenty early in the evening. I was surprised to find that for the tiny room, they only knocked £20 off for being stuck in the tiny room. Had I known that was what I was going to be put in, I would have simply stayed somewhere else. The room was so lacking in even a reasonable amount of room that anyone more than a little overweight or particularly large literally wouldn't be able to use the bathroom. That's not acceptable. And, after asking a guest if they'd consider staying in the tiny room, it should have been very sharply discounted.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 16!!
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Cheryl B

Hello Cheryl B,

I hope you had a lovely weekend.

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit at the City Gate, we very much appreciate our guests comments and your feedback enables us to make continued improvements to the service we on offer.

Due to our beautiful building being ||* listed, we do struggle with the outlay and dimensions of some of our bedrooms. When you return to Exeter, please give us a call before arriving and we can ensure you are in a room that is more comfortable and suitable for your needs.

I would like to thank you for choosing The City Gate and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Exeter.

Reviewed June 5, 2018 via mobile

Stayed two nights at short notice.

Upon arrival, excellent welcome within pub and at reception. Great central location. Good service experience at check in with very friendly staff. Shown to my room, lots nice quirky touches. Room found to be on small size but very clean and furnished to high standard.

Warm weather at time of visit so AC was great benefit. Free WiFi excellent, Sky TV, large comfy large bed, stocked mini bar with fresh milk for tea and coffee and ‘treat’ drawer also very welcome.

Lovely bathroom added to high end feel.
Dining in restaurant/pub both at breakfast and evening meal found to be of equal high standard, food and excellent service so didn’t bother looking elsewhere.

Definitely recommend and if working in Exeter again will be making The City Gate Hotel my 1st port of call!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business

Hello Gazbow23,

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The City Gate.

This type of thoughtful feedback is extremely helpful and important to us in delivering the highest levels of quality and service to our valuable customers.

Once again thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 1, 2018

This is a lovely Hotel in an excellent location.
The staff were friendly and very helpful.
The room was very comfortable especially the bed.
A small gripe is that the complimentary port and fudge is not refilled.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank cjafisher
City_Gate_Exeter, Manager at The City Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2018

Hello Cjafisher,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and will encourage the staff to read your lovely comments.

Reviewed May 31, 2018 via mobile

Struggled to get in to usual hotel in Exeter, but was so pleased when a colleague recommended the City Gate to me and another colleague whilst we were in the area for work.

Parking is not an issue as there is a multi-story car park within 2mins walk of the hotel entrance.

Yes the hotel is part of a gastro pub, but what a benefit! After checking in, we popped to the large bar/lounge area to grab a (decent, good quality) coffee and continue working. This space is lovely with glassed ceiling and walls overlooking garden area, even in the pouring rain it was relaxing with chilled music.

We were almost thinking of heading somewhere for dinner and just happened to see the menu, we quickly decided to stay where we were and ordered pre dinner drinks! The menu is lovely, making the most of the great local and seasonal food. The mussels, fish and meat dishes we had were so delicious.

The rooms were spacious, light and very comfortable with all the little nice extras. Breakfast was nice with a good choice on the menu and o have to say I had the best poached eggs, avocado on sourdough ever! Most places get poached eggs wrong - but these were perfection.

Overall a great stay, delicious food, friendly staff and would like to stay here when in Exeter again - if it’s not fully booked!!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank amyatkinson83

Hello Amyatkinson83,

I hope you had a lovely weekend.

We strive every day to ensure our guests have a wonderful, relaxing experience at our hotel and it is extremely encouraging for someone to tell us. I have passed your kind comments onto the rest of the team so that we can continue to provide our guests with the highest level of service.

Once again please accept my sincere thanks and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.