“Perfectly peaceful haven”

Churchwood Valley Holiday Cabins
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I came here with three of my friends for a week away from work and a chance to relax. The cabin we stayed in belonged to a family member of my friend so I am not certain whether those to let are similar. However, it was perfectly quiet and all staff I encountered were very relaxed and friendly. There is plenty of wildlife at the park and we encountered hedgehogs, pheasants, woodpigeons and other creatures in the garden outside which was great! The grounds are very well kept and there is a well stocked camp shop for any odds and ends you need. The cabin was a ten minute walk from the beach and we enjoyed taking our body boards down to the water along with a picnic.
If you turn right out of the main entrance and go down a steep hill then back up it takes about thirty minutes to walk to a fantastic pub called The Odd Wheel in Wembury village. The staff there were really friendly and helpful and we had a lovely meal there. We got talking to a few locals and enjoying a couple of afternoons there.
Another trip worth mentioning was a sea fishing trip run by Fish N Trips. It departs from the Barbican in Plymouth and as a complete beginner I thought I would catch nothing. However the two chaps on board gave me some pointers and we soon had a nice catch to take home to cook for tea! Even if you're not a fan of fishing then you can pay to go on a four hour trip as a spectator for £10.
All in all it was a great way to de stress and I would love to return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank mandamerc01

Reviewed 26 May 2011

I had my very first holiday here 25 years ago as a 5 year old with my family. Many of my favourite memories were made here. I have been fortunate enough since growing up to have stayed in many of the leading hotels of the world, BUT I always return when I can. Yes, the cabins are a little outdated, but it's such a rareity these days to find something that literally has not changed..... not got better, not got worse, just stayed the same :) A truly magical location for the whole family (we used to take our dogs too). The beach/cafe/trekking centre are all superb too. I am just about to book up for the end of June!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2011

this is our second stay at churchwood and again we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday as did our dogs !the staff are friendly and helpful and the cabin was spotless if i had to whinge about anything it would be the hardness of the beds but this time my wife was prepared and she took a mattress topper ,i too will purchase one before our next stay!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I used to visit Churchwood valley with my Grandparents when I was a kid and always remember happy times so I was excited about revisting them as an adult with my fiance. I was bitterly disappointed to have the realisation that they don't seem to have updated the decor since the early 80's (when I last visited), it really was like going back in time!
I know that Churchwood valley is keen to promote its green credentials and location and for those I cannot fault them but they seem to use these to hide the fact that they have below par accomodation.
In fairness the cabin was clean and tidy and staff were all pleasant.
I'm not a snob, nor am I unrealistic but for the money they are asking this is not value for money, in summary if you want contempory accomodation stay somewhere else, if you don't mind vintage 80's styling and a quiet, nice location then this for you!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Devonfan1972
churchwood, Owner at Churchwood Valley Holiday Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2011

We're really sorry to read that this visitor was disappointed. Had they come and made their views known to us at the time, we would have done our best to sort out the problem or, if possible, find a cabin more to their taste.

We have 56 letting cabins and have an on-going programme of updating them. Since this guest visited last year we have completely replaced a number of kitchens and made numerous other alterations and improvements.

We would never claim to offer luxury accommodation. Our rates, we believe, reflect the quality of the holiday we offer and, as well as updating our accommodation, we also invest a lot of time and money in maintaining this wonderful landscape and keeping the park as natural as it is.

People who visit us, and the vast majority return year after year, come as much for the tranquillity, wildlife and beautiful natural surroundings - which we are pleased to see this reviewer also enjoyed - as they do for our secluded cabins and friendly staff.

Reviewed 26 September 2010

get rid of whatever causes stale foistey smell from wardrobes,this smell stayed on all the clothing we did not use but every item had to be washed on our return,not sure what caused the smell but it reminded me of some timber or wood treatments
apart from this a decent place to stay

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank madaca
Reviewed 23 July 2007

We spent 2 weeks in July in Churchwood. We caught a ferry to Holyhead in Wales and drove down on the same day (a 7 hour drive). No hitches with the drive and plenty of stops along the way in service stations.

We got to the park at about 7pm and there was a welcome pack with a map to our cabin when we arrived with useful information on the surrounding area.

The cabin itself was smaller than expected, but more than adequate for a couple. The first thing to strike us was the peace and quiet - only the noise of birds and the odd squirrel brushing into things. The weather had been bad in the UK and our bedroom smelled a wee bit damp, but when we discussed it with the management they moved us immediately with no fuss to a sunnier spot in the park and that was the last negative issue we needed to have addressed!

The park itself is quite isolated, with a pub with okay food and a hotel with great bar food both in walking distance. There is a really nice beach also in walking distance and a shop in the centre. But you better to able for plenty of steep hills on foot, I was winded a few times!

All in all one of the most peaceful and contented times of my life - if you want to party and make (or listen to) noise then go somewhere else - but if you want to relax choose Churchwood!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank oreillykm
Reviewed 15 November 2006

We spent 3 nights over the Xmas period at these cabins and had one of the best family xmas' ever. The cabins are set in beautiful surroundings and are warm and cosy. The view from our cabin was fantastic over-looking a stream with horses grazing freely in the meadow. The site is also very dog-friendly, with doggy walks and National Trust land all around. The beach was about a 5-10 minute walk away, and dogs were welcome. There was even a beach coffee shop open on Boxing Day where you could buy a hot drink and take it down onto the beach to relax. The only problem we encountered was the lack of mobile phone signal, although there is a pay-phone available at all times.

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled with family