“Great place to stay in Plymouth”
Review of Westwinds

Westwinds
Ranked #28 of 79 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed at Westwinds some years ago when visiting my daughter at the university and was impressed then so, when some friends and I were travelling through Plymouth on our odyssey along the South West Coastal Path, I had no hesitation in recommending it to them. We stayed there the night of 3 March - 5 tired guys and 2 equally tired dogs - and were met with the same warm welcome described by other reviewers.
Westwinds is ideally located for the Hoe, the Barbican and the city centre, There are plenty of good restaurants in walking distance (we used a Thai around the corner) and Westwinds, itself, is comfortable, very well presented and friendly. You could spend a lot more in Plymouth for a great deal less.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tim B

Reviewed 3 March 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Westwinds Tues - Fri of this week. Last stayed here in Dec 2011. The service is fantastic, the breakfast is hearty and tastey & made to order. The rooms are always clean and fresh. Phil and Family run a tight ship here and is well worth the stay. 5 min walk to the Hoe. End of the road has a welcoming pub called the Yardarms. Just a few min walk to the town centre. About a 5 min walk to the Barbican. You just can't go wrong by staying here. Oscar and Molly (resident Spaniels) are a delight. The best part of my stay is that I feel like I am at home here. I will stay there every chance I get and would highly recommend people try it for themselves. I can't say enough good things about WestWinds, Phil and Family.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Cheryl S
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We were looking for somewhere to stay where our dog would be welcomed. We didn't need to go any further than the Westwinds. We were met at the door by the very amical owner, Phil. He showed us to our lovely room and our dog was made to feel at home by a quick visit from the lovely Oscar and Molly (resident Spinger Spaniels).

We had a lovely breakfast in the morning, very ably cooked and served by Phil. After breakfast, I found myself catching up on emails by using my laptop in the small, but very comfortable, sitting area next to the breakfast room. More often than not I was assisted by Oscar with his chin on my foot to keep me company.

The location of the Westwinds was perfect for walks on the beautiful Hoe, which was less than 5 minutes away, and not that far from the Barbican. Plymouth is very much a walking place, so the Westwinds was a perfect base for exploring.

We had a lovely dinner, just down the road at the busy Yard Arm, which was quite a revelation, and accomodated our dog without a problem.

Thank you to Phil and his family for a lovely stay. We look forward to returning one day soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChinoHills-MK
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Hotel near the plymouth hoe but walking distance to city center. Small rooms but very clean with friendly hosts. English breakfast very tasty.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Rupert my dog had an excellent stay at Westwinds. We were greeted by Oscar and Mollie (the springers) as we came in which was nice. The place was clean, comfortable and the breakfast was excellent. I would love to come and stay here again - great value for money!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2010

If you are looking for great service and value in a great location in Plymouth, this is the place. Really enjoyable place to stay and the hosts were spot on. Our dog also loved it. The Seagulls were a nightmare in the morning as they were so noisy but I think that is beyond the proprietors control..

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 March 2010

I recently moved down to plymouth as I had been offered a job here and as I was looking for a permanent residence I had to stay in a B and B. Originally I was at Avalon(just down the road) but frankly the service and room quality were rubbish! So instead of staying there I moved over to westwinds and I am so thankful I did!
Phil and family were hospitable and very friendly and the room was amazing compared to where I had just stayed! When I needed a witness for some paperwork or needed something scanning I was given all the help I required without asking for anything back!
Thanks a lot, I will heartily recommend your B+B to anyone I can and I will pop in sometime in the near future to say hello!
All the best
Jonathan
P.S The breakfast was amazing as well!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business