“Expensive for what you get...wouldn't stay there again”

Kynance House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 78 Plymouth B&B and Inns
London
“Expensive for what you get...wouldn't stay there again”
Reviewed 16 September 2007

On a recent trip to Plymouth we stayed here for two nights. It was a tight squeeze manouvering our small van through the narrow lanes to reach the small car park at the back of the hotel, although a car wouldn't have too much of a problem. We were able to enter the hotel from the car park through the back entrance. The first thing we noticed in the dingy corridor was a smell of damp, although this disappeared as we made our way to the reception area (up some stairs, along a corridor, through the bar, through the breakfast room - this place is warren!). Luckily our rooms were not in this corridor by the back entrance. However the room I was given also smelled of damp, and the bathroom carpet was damp in parts - perhaps the result of a recent leak. I slept with all the windows open in an attempt to get rid of the smell and it did improve. The carpet, decor, and bathroom fittings were all rather tired (swirly carpet in the bedroom and bathroom, and a green bathroom suite) but the room was clean and had a TV, bedside light, full length mirror. The full English breakfast was bog standard fare ie cheap ingredients (especially noticeable with sausages which I couldn't eat) served on a rather small plate, and orange juice served in tiny glasses - a shame, as breakfast can be a redeeming feature. Service was chaotic and you could hear the harrassed staff sniping at each other as the hatch to the kitchen is actually situated in the breakfast room itself. The hotel is probably the same as it was 30 years ago and could do with being brought up to date. It's quite a good location in terms of proximity to the bars and restaurants of the Barbican area, but I think you could find a decent B&B for less money without too much trouble.

• Liked — Proximity to Barbican area
  • Disliked — Stuck in a 70s time warp
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank leckerli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Cyprus
Reviewed 4 June 2007

Dear traveller, if you ever want a true blue family run hotel, then this is the one for you. Maggie and her staff are amongst the friendliest people I have ever met and will go well out of their way to make your stay comfortable and happy as well as accommodate any requirements you may have. Personally, I was on a two week course in Plymouth and needed a surface for my laptop - voila, I was given an accommodating room. I furthermore needed extra drawer space (being femme and all) - voila, another set of drawers were delivered to my room. I was extremely ill for two days and couldn't leave the room - voila, food was delivered to my room twice a day along with extra tea and fresh milk (even though the hotel is only bed and breakfast). What more can I say? The hotel is clean, comfortable, has all the basic necessities, free car parking (which is a definite bonus in Plymouth), and the best staff ever. Thank you so much for making an extremely difficult and intensive two week course, a much easier task to handle!

• Liked — Staff and service
  • Disliked — Nothing would deter me from staying at this hotel again
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank cloudyc
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 February 2005

There is nothing special about the Kynance Hotel...it just does exactly what you would expect of it, the service is good the rooms neat and clean, the staff friendly and the location and parking great.

Whenever I have gone back to Plymouth I go there and find it the perfect place for a short stay over. I would recomend it to anyone.

The only thing I would say is that its not very wheelchair friendly with lots of steps and small doorways.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 January 2002

Everyone should go there, if you haven't been there, then where the hell have you been all your life?

I mean, its run by the fabbest hotel runners ever!!!!!!

GO THERE OR ELSE!!!