“Tapas”
Review of Small World Tapas

Small World Tapas
Ranked #1 of 372 Restaurants in Torquay
Price range: US$13 - US$75
Description: Small World is a dream in a pocket size. Our reserved but family atmosphere restaurant is one of the fewest places in Torquay where you can share absolutely everything. Because sharing is loving. And we love food. Quiet place where you can also peek at the kitchen while the Chef is cooking worldwide tapas. Not only Spanish, but from all around the world. We change the menu very often to offer you the best of every country. And if you feel like drinking a country as well we have a selection of wines, local beers, spirits and cocktails. We also have Free Wifi. We are not a chain. We are independent. We are FoodLovers
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Wow.......This is a real hidden gem. We booked it on the off chance (thankfully as it was almost full) for a meal on a Saturday night as we were staying in Torquay, and I cannot recommended it highly enough, we visit Spain often and it was as good as any tapas I’ve ever had in Spain (if not better) The restaurant is small but cosy and the staff were so friendly and welcoming. I wish I lived closer, as I’d eat there every week. I wish them great success with this amazing restaurant. Fantastic.

1  Thank DeeG886

Reviewed November 8, 2018

We went there because Tripadvisor said it was No 1 in Torquay. It is not a wonderfully decorated restaurant, but the front house welcome was superb. Our waitress was the epitome of what a waitress should be. Welcoming and well versed in what the restaurant had to offer. She was enthusiastic and helpful in enabling us to choose our meal.

We had Sweet and Sour ribs, very tasty and falling apart. Duck wings as good as the ribs. A side dish was Patatas Bravas, which was potatoes covered in a hot spicy sauce, accompanied by an exquisite salad. We had two double expressos at £2 each and drunk an entry level Spanish 'El Meso" which was tasty but had little depth of flavour totally in our expectations. My partner had Chinese apples presented very imaginatively.

The total bill came to £59.45 which was very reasonable for the quality and service given.

1  Thank dtredhead
Reviewed November 7, 2018

Visited for the first time yesterday and definitely will be back.
The food was excellent and with a relaxed atmopshere with no pressure to move on. The tapas meals were very varied and the 8 (2 each is recommended)we tried were all excellent and came out in stages so great for sharing.

Reviewed November 6, 2018

We went with a group of nine, though our reservation was made for eight originally. The server gave us a hard time about having added an extra person.

We ordered two of each tapas at her suggestion, and this worked out well. There were a few misses, like the bread that was presented in Ziploc bags, but the shrimp was a stand-out.

The mixed drinks were a bit on the weak side, and the desserts -- despite a lot of fanfare about the presentation -- forgettable.

Overall, we all enjoyed it, but my charge was 120 pounds -- for just two of us! Still, the ambiance was great, and they kept the place open late for us, so they get my thumbs-up.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank santoki
smallw2017, Manager at Small World Tapas, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2018

Hi Terry.
First thanks for your review. However we feel that we are not on the same page about some things.
Allow me to start with the final bill, because it is what shocked us the most. I am 100% sure that there is something wrong about that number, so we made a little experiment: if you ordered every single tapa, that is 19 tapas ( we recommend to order 2 per person, so this would suit a party of 9-10people) the final bill would be £160, to split between everbody...And our most expensive wine is £24... As i said, if you make the math there is something that does not add up. I honestly tell you if I charged £120 per couple, I would be on holiday all year long.
Let me know the day that you came and the time and I will check in my own receipts what is wrong.

About staff, including myself, Sara: whoever knows us knows that we like to talk to costumers and we are almost always in the good mood. We feel sorry that you left with a different impression as we are very sociable and apologetic, when necessary.

Another thing we feel sorry about is the bread, how you only saw the outside instead of enjoying the smoke of hickory and applewood with rosemary and garlic that we burn in our own smoker machine, with warm variety of breads. We believe that our Ziploc Bag is like no other. It's unique and we love it :)

We feel that the range of drinks we offer is quite good considering the size of the restaurant. And we feel proud about our desserts, again, we feel sorry you do not feel the same way. But again we find ourselves in the same situation, we only look at the outside instead of taking into consideration all the effort and time put into it. In fact, our Mystery Dessert: The Eggbox is our most dangerous dish out of the WHOLE menu, since it's needed some specific skills to work with it.

We would also like that when we ask if eveything is ok, the customers reply with honesty so we can fix it ASAP :)

I personally invite you to message me, email me ( smallworldtq@gmail.com) or contact me 01803 431010 so we can resolve any problems you have,. We would not like to be in the middle of a misunderstanding.
And again ,thanks for your review
Kind regards
Sara

Reviewed November 4, 2018 via mobile

Very friendly service and helpful explaining the food etc. The food was delicious and we cleared our plates.
Warm welcome to us both and will look forward to eating there again.
Highly recommend