“Dumplings to die for!”

Maido - Japanese Noodle Bar
Ranked #69 of 357 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 6 June 2016 via mobile

Came here because of reviews and wasn't disappointed! The chef made her dip for the Dumplings (gyoza/momo) and it was so good that I was still thinking about it and craving it 48 hours later. Really authentic food and nice and clean. Fantastic!

2  Thank Middlebrough

Reviewed 7 May 2016

I arranged a meal for our Aikido club and a Japanese style was just right. The food was of genuinely Japanese and the amount was as much as we could eat. They do not have a drinks licence but we could bring our own or even visit the pub next door so no problems with beverages. There were 15 of us in the party and the accommodation was very congenial and gave a very satisfying atmosphere. Kyoto the owner was an excellent host and made us feel very welcome. I would certainly recommend a visit.

1  Thank Roger P
Reviewed 5 April 2016

We ate a few times there. The service is good and the food is delicious (oishii) I recommend to anyone who wants to eat a fresh meal in a nice place. We ate ramen soup, miso soup,takoyaki ,teriyaki .

1  Thank Mihai C
Reviewed 10 February 2016

I ordered some Maki Sushi and Omu Rice whilst my friend ordered the signature Gyoza and pork noodle stew (I've forgotten the name of it!). All the dishes were excellent and the service really lifts the atmosphere.

1  Thank Edward D
Reviewed 29 January 2016

As a lover of Japanese food I was looking forward to a simple but authentic lunch. I chose the Char Sui with pork. My wife the Yaki Udon noodles with pork.

However the pork was not Char Sui style. It was just simple cooked pork. Char Sui involves a barbecue process and the outside is coloured red. It's a speciality process and is very tasty......The marinated egg wasn't marinated; it was a simple boiled egg.

The photo menu shows both of these items as they should be provided. The dish I received was simply not to that standard. I'm afraid I feel cheated.

My wife was unimpressed with her dish as well by the way - and being Chinese she knows what she is talking about...

Sorry but we won't be back.

1  Thank glumintianjin
Kyoko B, Owner at Maido - Japanese Noodle Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2016

Hello - I just recently read your review.
I have copy and pasted a section of text from a website online as I thought that it describes the situation better than I could explain.
"The origins of chashu came from Chinese barbecued pork called Char Siu (叉燒). Traditionally Chinese char siu is marinated in soy sauce, honey, hoisin sauce, rice wine, five spice powder and red food coloring, and then roasted in a covered oven or barbecued over a fire. You have probably seen the slabs of barbecued pork hanging in Chinese deli shop windows.
On the other hand, Japanese chashu served with bowls of ramen are actually braised in soy sauce, sake and sugar at low temperature. Then it’s kept marinated in the sauce till serving. Chashu is sometimes called “nibuta” (煮豚) in Japanese, literally meaning “simmered/braised pork”." - Maybe we should change the name of the dish to avoid confusion in the future!

At Maido - We serve the Japanese variant - as part of a Ramen Noodle dish - (There are no pictures of the Chinese-style Char Siu - All the pictures are pictures of our food) It is a very popular dish amongst our customers and we are sorry that on this occasion it wasn't for your liking.

We are very friendly and open at the shop and only wished you had expressed your disappointment at the time as we would have had no problem exchanging your meal for something else or coming to some sort of resolution. It's so much easier to do that way, than to do it in this way.
Our food is home-made Japanese food (Cooked and prepared by myself - Kyoko, from Osaka, Japan) - I totally understand that they may not be liked by everyone - but one thing I can say for certain is that they are authentic.