“Comfortable and Quirky”

The Green House
Ranked #6 of 67 Hotels in Bournemouth
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed in a Luxury Double for one night here last weekend on my very first visit to Bournemouth.....and I'm so glad we chose here in comparison to the larger "chain" hotels which I'm not a fan off, due to lack of customer service and being so impersonal decor wise.
This beautiful white building is situated in a quiet street, a 10 minute walk to the famous seafront, so the location was peaceful yet perfect for our needs. Parking was pretty easy for us, found a spot pretty much straight away on the property and stayed there until check out which is all free for residents staying.
We were greeted a very warm welcome by reception, and after the relevant paperwork done, was personally shown to the Beech room. This room was perfectly adequate for us......and had everything we needed.
A kettle with all tea/coffee amenities, a safe for valuables, bath robes/slippers for two, butter shortbreads in a quirky jar, and the best Temple Spa bathroom products which is an exceptionally good brand to use.
We had a gorgeous white roll top cast iron bath in the bay window which was at the foot of our bed as a great romantic feature to this room.
And as I pre ordered a champagne bucket and glasses in the room....it was all ready for the bubbles I had brought up with me....to go with the bubbles in the bath! (Please note....there actually isn't any bubble bath provided but found some in my own washbag.....so don't forget to bring your own!)
The Beech room is beautifully decorated with a sage green and chocolate theme....a feature wall with unusual designer wallpaper.....and the glass shower was also in the bedroom too. (The shower head is one of them big rainfall types but as it was on a shower hose and not installed in the ceiling, it had a tendency to fall down as the head is actually too heavy for the bracket! I worked around this but can imagine someone making a big thing about this?!)
The only closed room was the toilet housing a small quirky sink and we were both happy with this as I kind of liked the whole open plan bathing theme of this room which was impeccably clean and tidy, carpet, ceiling, floors and walls looked brand new.....and the big bed provided the best nights sleep for us.....we really didn't want to get up and leave, it was that comfortable!
Reading reviews on here, people have complained that the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything, I can state we heard not one thing. This room was so quiet and peaceful.....once in it, you actually forget you're in a hotel, but in a small haven of peace.
My only downside to this room was how hot it was.....and in fact, it became laughable between us more than a massive gripe! After a bath and then a shower in the same time frame (as we were both getting ready to go out for dinner) I could barely pull my bodycon dress on because I was so hot and bothered! Lol
There is a small tower fan provided, but it didn't oscillate or throw out enough cool air, so was pretty useless!
The windows are shut and one only opens to around 2 inches max, I do really like this hotel being eco friendly and totally respect its values but I literally was boiling alive and there surely has to be another solution around this problem? Other than air con? Upon investigation, my boyfriend noticed a sign saying we could ask reception to unlock the 2 window guards....in which we did. Yes you do have to sign a declaration in them doing this but it's worth it to have them windows open at full pelt and feel some air!!
I'm sure in the winter, having closed windows is very welcome and toasty, so this room would be perfect to cosy up in but I felt positively white and starved off air upon checking out!
The bar area is modern, clean and the staff very knowledgeable. He recommended some unusual gins and we tried two happily. We ordered some bar snacks to tide us over before dinner and the sandwiches were divine. Beautifully presented on wooden platters with bowls of warm homemade crisps, a fresh side salad with the best dressing applied......I didn't think a bar sandwich could be so good.....in taste and presentation.
Highly recommend the food here as the full English breakfast was superb. Freshly sourced ingredients such as eggs from the new forest and bacon from Wiltshire etc......you can tell this little place takes great pride in its food and providing its customers with only the best ingredients.....a massive thumbs up from us.
All the staff here are warm and welcoming, happy to help out in whatever way they can. The hotel is so immaculate and clean with modern bright furnishings which are quirky and pleasing to the eye. Nice big light hallways to manoeuvre around in.....big sash windows letting in acres of light, tidy, sheltered seating at the front with modern chairs and tables for a sunny day.
Our stay here was perfect in every way and would stay here again easily.....but will ensure to try the Arbour restaurant for dinner next time........and will phone ahead for them to unlock those windows!
Thank you Green House for a wonderful stay with you, my friends are very interested in visiting you now after seeing my posts and selfishly in a way, I wished they wasn't....... as a fantastic little find like this needs to be kept to myself!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KrazyKatlover
There are newer reviews for The Green House

Reviewed 8 August 2017

I stayed here for one night as part of a business trip. Lovely traditional hotel that has been refurbished internally with stylish/clean/modern finish, very comfortable large rooms and a lovely upmarket bar. Service is great, huge choice at breakfast, would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Jackie L
Reviewed 8 August 2017

Lovely hotel in superb area, for beachside walks or town centre. We had the 3 course Sunday lunch, which was just excellent. Beautifully presented & superbly cooked. They also do afternoon cream tea, which again, looked wonderful. The decor & ambience was lovely & the staff very attentive & polite, especially the 2 young waiters in the restaurant. Very highly recommended

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PAM H
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Very good .5 course tasting menu with wines to complement.
My question is why side plates as no bread was handed out .We had more than 20 mins wait for our last course .Others were being served and we were forgotten,so felt we had to mention to a waiter.Was told it was in the oven cooking !!!
Other than that all good .
Would have scored more but for the wait and it would have been nice to have each course explained and Wine that was chosen

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2017

We stayed here for the night to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. The room we had was called 'Crab Apple'. The welcome was friendly, very helpful and extremely professional - the staff were excellent. The room was a delight - large bed, great facilities and the card and the brownie to celebrate our anniversary was a lovely touch. The room was very clean and I cannot fault it. We ate at the Arbor Restaurant (both evening meal and breakfast) and the evening meal was one of the nicest meals I have ever had. The locally sourced food and just the attention to every detail simply made it exceptional. The restaurant staff were attentive, polite but not obtrusive and all in all this was a perfect, memorable way to celebrate our anniversary. We will be back!

Room Tip: In some rooms (including ours) the bath and shower are all part of the open plan room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Howard C
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed the night and ate in the Arbor restaurant that evening. All the staff are lovely and couldn't do enough for us.
The cocktails were delicious. Our 3 course meal was very tasty and the head waiter immediately changed a bottle of wine when on tasting it we didn't like it so very impressed.
The room was fine . Too minimalist for us. No where to put anything. The tea tray had to be put on the floor so that the kettle could reach the plug. Went to straighten my hair and couldn't put straighteners down . The room needs another unit of some kind.
The biggest mistake is the shower head. We had a different room when we stayed in January this year and this was a pain then so it seems that all the bathrooms have this problem. The shower head is so big and heavy there is no shower to be had as the shower poke simply can't take its weight. So you have to hold the shower in one hand whilst trying to wash with the other . I'm so glad I didn't have to wash my hair!
PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS A S A P

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Ate here for my sister's 50th. Excellent food, good wine, tasty cocktails and friendly and attentive service. Perfect for the occasion. Recommend the fish courses, but all very well cooked and delicious.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family