“Very friendly!”

Shirley Hotel
Ranked #65 of 132 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
“Very friendly!”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Good quiet location, friendly owner, clean rooms, nice breakfast!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Benjiboyfrost

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
westerham kent
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Our son bought us a voucher to spend on a short break. We wanted to visit the Bournemouth area and we set about finding a dog friendly hotel in a central location.The Shirley Hotel fitted the bill the lady that answered my call was very helpful and I felt comfortable the hotel would be fine.We was not disappointed the room was very clean and well appointed, breakfast was very good,we parked in the hotels carpark which was free of charge! The owner was on hand to give us information about the local area and was very friendly nothing was too much trouble.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone its not 5* but its very good value for money.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Fairford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2011

My daughter and I had a short break in Bournemouth and stayed at The Shirley. We had a lovely room. It was clean and tidy. Off street parking which was a bonus. Breakfast was lovely and there was a good choice. Jorge was very friendly and made sure we had enough to eat, and was happy to give us a variation on the cooked breakfast ie beans on toast rather than the full english. Would happily go there again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Me and my family stayed at The Shirley in Bournemouth during a short stay. For what we paid I felt it was somewhat of a bargain - excellent value. A warm helpful welcome, spotless clean rooms, free wifi, excellent breakfast, child friendly (we have a one year old), on street parking and a car park at the rear - and on top of that an excellent location for the either the city ot the beach. Cheers Jorge the owner :-)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ukholidayfamily
Kent
Reviewed 4 October 2011

My partner and I stayed in this hotel when visiting family. The hotel itself is lovely, very clean and in the best location for beaches, shopping and nice restaurants and pubs.

Jorge the owner is so lovely and makes you feel extremely welcome. Nothing is too much trouble and he adds a real personal touch to the stay (like remembering your breakfast order). The breakfast was amazing, my parter has a very healthy appetite and there was plenty of food for him which is always so rare in hotels. The full english breakfast is freshly made and delicious and there is a good selection of cereal, jams and spreads also. As well as a nice cup of tea which is always required in the morning!!

I would definitely recommend this hotel and I had such a lovely time there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anniefishy
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I stayed at the Shirley Hotel for my cousin's hen weekend. a great time was had by all, the hotel was very tidy and modern throughout. We had a lovely room which comfortably slept 3 of us. Jorge was very helpful and friendly throughout our stay, made us all feel very welcome, and little Bobby the dog was great too! Only a short stroll to the beach, shops and nightlife a perfect location and a real home from home! Thank you for a lovely weekend.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Our holiday hotel was a last minute choice and I'm glad it was!
After reading the negative reviews on this site, I can honestly say that those people who complained are the sort of people who write letters of complaint when the weather forecasted is slightly off, whatever was reported....ignore the moaners!!
Anyway, first the bad. Being a hyper critical person, I'm always on the lookout for bad service. But I'm very surprised that I don't have a bad word to say about the shirley and it's management.
So onto the good.
My family and I were greeted by Jorge (the owner/manager) who was very warm and welcoming, he even likes children and interacted with them in way that demonstrates he's no stranger to having children around him. My kids thought he was great and even asked if we could come and see him again!
The standard of cleanliness throughout the building shows that the regime of upkeep is constant and not just for appearances. The rooms were spotless, including the dining room and toilets.
Choices of breakfast was varied and wholesome, you really must have the Full English at least once, as it was cooked to perfection...so much so that I had to have it every day for the lengthbof my stay. At this point I must add that I rarely eat breakfast, especially a cooked one. That's testiment to how delicious it was!
It's obvious for anybody to see that the Shirley Hotel is a labour of love for it's owner and his family. Jorge treats his guests exceptionally well and nothing is too much effort for him. Not only does he dress impeccably, but his manner with his guests is warm, friendly but not contrived.
For a 3 star hotel, it could very easily be promoted to higher status...and I believe it would be a very worthwhile promotion.
Onsite parking is essential, considering how busy the roads are. Let's face it, after a long drive the last thing you need is the stress of finding a parking space, even the car park is clean and tidy.
One final point I should add is this; given the lack of a bar, I think its a great idea not to include one. Given that if you have kids, you've more than likely blown lots of cash on rides, souvenirs, etc. So we saved a fortune by not propping up the bar while the kids sleep. Plus I think it takes out the element of it being a family hotel. I would say that the Shirley Hotel has got to be one of the best hotels in Bournemouth, in it's price range, close to the town and close to the beech.
To be honest, if you have children or are just a couple looking to stay somewhere quiet and to relax in comfort, then you'd be a fool not to pay Jorge and his hotel a visit!

• Stayed August 2011