“Excellent sashimi & sushi in casual dining”
Review of Murasaki

Murasaki
Ranked #508 of 1,318 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2018

This is a small, casual dining restaurant in Seven Dials, 15-20 mins walk from the City centre or Brighton rail station. The mixed sashimi and sushi dishes are excellent, with the bonus of two Japanese lagers on draught. Wide range of Japanese "tapas" to choose from, plus bento boxes and noodle dishes at lunch time. Friendly and efficient service.

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed February 5, 2018

I rarely bother to do reviews on restaurants especially if they are doing well anyway but I have been looking for a good Japanese in East Sussex for a long time and had pretty much given up on it being possible, but this place is brilliant so I thought I'd pass that info on! Great service, attentive and friendly waitresses, amazing food (for mid-range price Japanese in the UK) reasonable prices and a really nice restaurant with a great atmosphere. It will be my monthly treat from now onwards. Me and my partner spent 80 pounds and ordered everything we wanted plus loads of saki so although not cheap we didn't hold back on anything we fancied.

Date of visit: February 2018
2  Thank Jessica J
Reviewed January 20, 2018 via mobile

The fact a restaurant has been around for years is not always an indication of quality, in this case however it is a clear representation of the tastiness of their food. Their sashimi is superb!!

The price is also reasonable for the amount and quality. £40 for lunch for two adults and a child and we walked out feeling full.

Always happy to return for a special dinner or quick lunch.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed January 8, 2018

We booked a table last minute for a meal on Saturday evening and we're very lucky to get a table - the restaurant was full by the time we were leaving.
Having travelled around Japan last year and half my family being Japanese, I can probably be quite picky when it comes to Japanese food...
I was really pleased from the outset as the place felt quite authentic of a typical Japanese canteen style restaurant - unless you go to a really fancy place in Japan the layout and service is spot on to what we experienced!
The food was delicious - really well cooked Katsu, generous portions of sushi and the miso was very well balanced and not too salty.
We will definitely be returning and we are so pleased to have finally found somewhere to keep our Japanese food cravings at bay!

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed December 22, 2017

This is one of my favourite Japanese restaurants in the UK. The décor is low-key but pleasant enough. However, one goes to Murasaki not to look at bonsais and lacquered screens but for its authentic, Japanese cooking and well-priced sake and beers. I've never had a bad meal there, either in bento box format or in their cast iron sukiyaki pots. The service is fast and efficient, the atmosphere relaxed and the bill never comes to a startling amount.

Date of visit: December 2017