“Disappointing experience..”
Review of Sam's of Brighton - CLOSED

Sam's of Brighton
Price range: US$16 - US$46
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located on Paston Place in the heart of Kemp Town village, Sam's of Brighton is a stone's throw from the Brighton Pier and the Marina. Sister restaurant to Sam's of Sevendials in the heart of Brighton, this chic and elegant family-owned bistro - with an understated neutral colour scheme, wooden floors and deco-inspired lamps - is popular with a fashionable local crowd. Sam's serves classic yet creative dishes made from the finest seasonal ingredients, and the restaurant's award-winning menu features favourites such as the Shetland rope-grown mussels with spiced coconut, vanilla, and red peppers; roast rabbit loin served with soft polenta and savoy cabbage; and the rice pudding with blood orange for dessert. Sam's also has an excellent selection of both old and new world wines, many available by the glass and carafe. Sam's of Brighton was voted "Runner Up BEST UK NEWCOMER" by the Harden's Guide 2010.
Reviewed August 23, 2015

First thing I noticed when my friends and I sat down for our Sunday lunch was that all the cutlery and glasses on our table were dirty. The little specs of sticky food residue on my fork were a real turn off, but my disappointment was soon furthered by the painfully slow service. It was half an hour before our drinks hit the table and over an hour before our food arrived. At one point I had to ask if our food was actually coming to which the waitress replied "ye, its on its way" rather than giving us the overdue apology we deserved. I was impressed however by the lovely food and the nice waitor who was - in contrast - attentive and concerned. He gave us some lovely soup on the house (as a distraction I assume?) and made a beautiful Bloody Mary. As a waitress myself, however, I don't see any reason why this place can excuse such poor delivery. There were only 4 other occupied tables in the restaurant so I expected more from both the kitchen and the floor staff.

1  Thank Emma R

Reviewed August 15, 2015 via mobile

The food was ok, but not memorable at all. Service was really mediocre too. Hope this means that the main managers are on holiday and not a permanent decline

1  Thank Merul P
Reviewed August 9, 2015

Marginally more expensive than other local offerings, but superior because cooked in a proper kitchen. Staples well done, and one or two imaginative additions. Best to get there early: as we left the one waitress (very pleasant, but not professionally trained) was starting to cope with a table of 18. And don't go too often, as the short menu never changes (or, at least, has not done so lately). It would be helpful for customers to have an indication of the restaurant's future plans, as the lease is up for sale.

Reviewed August 3, 2015 via mobile

It was a very pleasant experience
The foods were just wonderful and the lamb was the best that I have never eaten before including Marco
The service was just splendid and the prices very ok and we will returned
de Toro

Reviewed July 31, 2015

Having lived in Brighton for many years,i decided to try Sams,the food was great,top marks to the chef,you could tell the friendly waiting staff were new to this type of work,but they were trying there best i give them a 7/10,i will eat here again