“An excellent lunch...”

The Gallery Restaurant
Ranked #530 of 1,368 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$13 - US$26
Description: The Gallery Restaurant is the training restaurant for the Catering students at Greater Brighton Metropolitan College. Students design the menus, prepare & cook the food whilst other students work within the restaurant serving. They are overseen at all times by lecturers.
Reviewed October 19, 2018

My wife and I enjoyed an excellent lunch in this training restaurant today, with five friends as our guests. The menu gave us a well-varied choice of starters, mains and desserts. I would have been happy to eat any of them! My starter was frillata di merluzzo (Yes, I had to ask - tasty little cod fish cakes, delightfully presented on baby spinach leaves with a Hollandaise sauce); most others had a spiced pumpkin soup (swirl of cream, mini-slice of grilled pumpkin and crispy bacon); for mains, some had duck breast, others pan-fried fillets of sea bream, garnished with vegetables cooked à point; desserts were split between black cherry sorbet, served with dark chocolate sauce and topped with lemon zest, and coffee panna cotta, crowned by two fat blueberries, a minuscule chocolate cigar and a tiny sprig of fresh mint. I draw detailed attention to the presentation because it somehow sums up the skill exhibited and the care taken over every element of this meal. The restaurant manager was very helpful over the booking of the meal, the maître d’ welcoming and professional, our waiters efficient and very attentive without being fussy, and we were aware of their tutor, subtly keeping a benign eye on things. At the end of the meal, all the students who had been ‘front of house’ or in the kitchen came by the tables, and we were able to chat with them over our coffee. They were very impressive young people. And we look forward to returning!

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed April 28, 2018

This is the restaurant run by the colleges catering students so you have to allow for the fact that the cooking is more a work in progress than necessarily the finished article and obviously the prices reflect this. Lunch is 12-12.30, we paid £13 each for a 3 course lunch here by level 3 students. We enjoyed our lunch here, there was a choice of 3 dishes for starter and 3 for main course and 2 for dessert. I had gurnard soup with a small piece of gurnard to start and hake with saffron potatoes and vegetables for main, my partner had a pork dish to start and a brisket beef dish for main. Beautifully presented and mostly well cooked food, although I think the meat dishes were stronger than the fish ones and I would still like to see more imaginative vegetarian main courses on the menu than vegetable tart. It’s great to support aspiring young chefs and they welcome feedback from customers. I would just like to see a bit more imagination and choice in the vegetarian dish department.

Reviewed April 21, 2018

Used a Groupon for a two course meal on Thursday lunchtime. Attentive service.We both had the pork. Well cooked and plenty of it. My husband's only complaint was he could have done with a bit more potato and the meal could have been hotter. Our dessert was strawberry roulade. Delicious!
I had a glass of reasonably priced red wine.
Altogether, very good value in a pleasant environment. Only drawback is that you have to go at 12-12.30 although we'd have preferred to have lunch a bit later.

Date of visit: April 2018
Helen A, Manager at The Gallery Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2018

Delighted you enjoyed your lunch, we hope to see you again soon

Reviewed April 20, 2018

Really lovely delicious lunch, lovely ambience, and students who really aim to please....Nothing is too much trouble.......Pate, Chicken, followed by Panna Cotta with Raspberry coulis, £12......and a glass of Sauv Blanc for £2.50 - what more could you ask for - will be back - SOON!..Well done all of you!!

Date of visit: April 2018

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed February 21, 2018 via mobile

This place is not advertised well enough. I purchased a Groupon and 4 of us had a 2 course lunch.
This is a restaurant within walking distance of brighton station that is run by students who are on a catering course. For this reason you need to be patient as service can be slow. The service is a little wooden at times but the enthusiasm is there and the food is delicious and well presented.
You need to book , I believe so they know how many they are catering for but there is a choice of 3 starters; mains and desserts . At time of writing 2 courses are £9.95 and 3 courses for £12.95. You need to arrive around mid day as once finished the students return to class. There is a full bar and the option of coffee to follow for around £1.50 extra.
Only open 3 lunch times a week during term time. A different lunch time experience but excellent quality ingredients made into delicious food

Date of visit: February 2018