“Amazing amount of species”

Booth Museum of Natural History
Ranked #22 of 173 things to do in Brighton
Reviewed 23 August 2017

Nice museum to walk through and see the enormous variation of birds, the large amount of skeletons and butterflies. The museum is easy to reach as it is outside the busy centre area. Parking available. Visit takes about 45 minutes and is free.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Natural history museums have always interested me and this one was no exception. While it's a little off the beaten track (we caught a bus up there and back to the seafront afterwards), it was worth a visit. Focusing more on birds, there were a few other animals and a display of a Victorian room but not sure if it's a place someone would visit more than once.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

I went for my birthday with my partner, this place is brilliant!! Loved it!! The collections are extensive and amazing!! Friendly staff and knowledgeable!! I could spend days, weeks even months just walking around taking it all in!! Love this place

Reviewed 7 August 2017

What a superb display of natural history and fossil items. They speak for themselves. Great to see the real thing and no plastic models or push button screens etc. Well done.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Visited the museum with a friend and our 4 year old girls. I also had a baby in a push chair and the entrance to the museum is up a very steep set of steps which was a bit tricky to negotiate but I am sure there is accessible access - worth checking if you are planning a visit.

The museum itself is free entry and is an eclectic mix of natural history exhibits and taxidermy. We all really enjoyed looking at the display cases and jars of curiosities. Very visual and stimulating for children. My daughter was a bit scared of the room of skeletons but it did have some really interesting displays. Overall the children were very engaged and enjoyed their visit.

The gift shop merchandise is very expensive but I guess if they are not charging entry then it is only fair they recoup their costs through shop sales. However one thing that let down our visit was the very grumpy till staff who clearly did not like children (or people!) much and told them off at any given opportunity - for example we watched a little girl pick up one of the masks to show her mum to which a member of staff shouted at her "are you going to buy that? No? Then put it down!" Completely unnecessary and heavy handed. I suggest they work on their people skills if they want the museum to maintain a steady revenue!

Apart from that experience we would definitely like to visit the museum again and on their website it looks like they have a great educational programme of events throughout the year.