Review Highlights
interesting landmark

Statue was in front of a great beach side cafe and opposite where we stayed so all very handy and... read more

Reviewed September 29, 2018
Excursion622281
Worth a look if you’re on the western lawns

This statue is a well known landmark and meeting place on Hove lawns. For all that, most of us have... read more

Reviewed August 24, 2018

from US$17.97
from US$19.20
from US$33.30
More Info
All reviews olive branch edward vii meeting point worth a visit orb memorial landmark promenade hove erected depicted beauty
Reviewed March 17, 2017

This seafront area of town is a great meeting place and great for people watching and a cup of tea in one of the many places nearby

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed March 13, 2017

Lovely idea to see this and reflect in a world so full of conflict, take time to stop and think for a while

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed February 5, 2017

I often walk past this statue on my daily seafront walks, but suddenly remembered the day, many years ago, when Harry Secombe ( The Goons. ) gave an impromptu singing performance in front of the Angel. Pity I did not take a photo - oh well - life is full of missed opportunities.

Date of experience: January 2017
Reviewed February 1, 2017

I grew up in Hove and being the eldest of nine siblings, we did not go on holidays - my parents could not afford it! We didn't feel hard done by because we had parks and the seafront to occupy us during school holidays. Whenever I return to the UK from my home in Spain, I mostly visit Brighton & Hove. On my last visit in August / September 2016 I enjoyed a pleasant walk along the seafront and stopped to gaze upon the statue which brought back nostalgic memories.

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed January 14, 2017

This statue that is situated on the seafront in kings road marks the border of Brighton and hove. King Edward VII died at Buckingham Palace on 6 May 1910 aged 68. Within a few months Hove had come up with the idea of a memorial statue to commemorate the King and no doubt to emphasize the fact of his several visits to Hove both as Prince of Wales and King.
On the plinth facing the sea a plaque reads In the year 1912 the inhabitants of Brighton and Hove provided a home for the Queen’s Nurses and erected this monument in memory of King Edward VII and as a testimony of their enduring loyalty.
The memorial soon became known as the Peace Statue. Some people have remarked on the irony of the statue being erected just two years before the First World War broke out and faced away from continental Europe.
Over the years it has become a landmark meeting place and directly in front is a cafe that you can get drinks and snacks and stop off when your taking a walk along the seafront promenade.

Date of experience: October 2016