“Really friendly & welcoming, quiet and clean”
Review of The Kelvin

The Kelvin
The Kelvin
Ranked #55 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Hove, United Kingdom
“Really friendly & welcoming, quiet and clean”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This B&B is in a great location, far enough from the main streets nearby, but tucked out of the way. It is a stone's throw from the beach and associated attractions, including the pier and the new big wheel!

The rooms are good sized for the type & age of building and most have an en-suite too. TV, tea and coffee facilities are provided in the room too. Our room was cleaned everyday by a really friendly cleaner.

The breakfast was fantastic. Always lots of good hearty food on offer and you could always alter the menu items to have a personalised breakfast!

Paul & Shaun were great hosts, always friendly and ready with advice on where to go and what to do locally. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Well looked after. Owners very friendly and was made welcomed. lovely breakfast, bacon was like a piece of gammon. Room clean and quiet. great position in kemp town. Good value for money and would stay there again. we love brighton so it made it a great weekend. angela and nigel x

• Stayed November 2011
Lower Morden. Surrey
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Hello Shaun and Paul.
Hubbs, Boo, Manthing and I cannot wait to check into the FABULOUS Kelvin, once again this coming Thursday for three nights and four fun filled days!!
Just wanted to say ''HI'' before we all descend upon you, and I am glad I did, as I have just read the report before my one and I am stunned........Who was she?
The Kelvin is the best place we have stayed at in Brighton.....and YES...we have been to quite a few dear.....even The Grand (which wasn't a patch on the Kelvin)
Shaun's breakfast's are the BIZZZZZZ, I challenge anybody to find better!!
The hospitality is second to none and the place is as shiny as a new pin.....what do you expect from two fabulous queens!!!!
I hope any new potential guests will not be put off by the moronic comment before my entry, as they will miss out on a ruddy marvelous stay in Brighton!
See you soon boys.
Jason-Dean Grima x

Room Tip: Take your pic!!! :0))
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jace_1970
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I regularly stay at the Kelvin and I always have a fantastic time, the room was spotless and the breakfast was great!

The atmosphere is great and I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

I will definitely be going back there on my travels from Lancashire just as soon as I can!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 November 2011

This hotel is situated in the 'gay' area around Brighton which has lots of atmosphere. When I arrived the door was locked and a no left on the door for me to ring. No reception - no name given by the person who took me to my room. No, not the Double Executive which I had reserved but one up stairs. I had spoken to the owner who knew exactly what I had booked.
The towels were mingy and old. POOR
The carpets throughout the place were DIRTY
The television was so small and the titles so small that you had to stand in front of it to select a programme.
There was no heating.
All the tables in the dining room were wobbly and the owner stood with hands on hip instructing you where to sit. The breakfast was cooked without any 'heart' Believe me I know the difference have worked in hotels and owned restuarants.
This hotel is not worth what is being charged.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed here for a weekend and had a very comfortable and welcoming stay. Rooms are clean and well laid out. They are also bright. We had a peek at the sea from our window. Shaun & Paul are great hosts and the breakfasts are legendary. We recieved lots of advice and even though, I'd imagine, they pass this information on to every guest, they still did it with patience and lots of detail. We appreciated that and enjoyed our stay.There's also a very good Italian restaurant next door.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philip D
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

As you would expect, Brighton as a popular destination has a large number of guest houses, and it may seem difficult to choose one over another. The Kelvin has much to recommend it, most of the rooms are spacious and very pleasantly furnished, the en suite bathrooms are clean and elegant and the breakfast is copious and well-served. What distinguishes this guest house from its rivals is the friendliness, constant good cheer and willingness to help of the owners. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Double rooms at the front are more expensive, but worth the extra money
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business