“Closed”

Cuisines: Mongolian
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

We travelled to this restaurant last night with a big group of us to find out it had been closed down, boarded up and windows smashed.
Gutted.

7  Thank Lifeswaytooshort

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Ok, I'll admit, I didn't go into this restaurant expecting amazing things, but it certainly lived up to my expectations.

So for starters, it's a terrible social experience. The process of obtaining food involves walking around a central ingredients 'bar' and filling up a dinky bowl, then queuing next to the hot plate, then watching your food get cooked, and then going back to the table to eat. Because everyone takes a different amount of time to pick their ingredients and eat, it means that inevitably you'll spend a lot of your time eating alone in silence, or queuing for the hot plate by yourself. Not especially fun for what should be a social experience.

While I enjoyed the idea that I could have three different little meals (three bowls was my limit, you might be able to eat more...), when it came down to it, there were very few ingredients that I could actually face putting in my bowl. I'm vegetarian, so all the meat was out, but even if I was a meat eater, I thought all the meat looked particularly unappetizing. As for the vegetables, while there was a good selection, many of them looked like they'd seen better days, and the leeks still had soil on them.

There was a good selection of tasty sauces and spices and flavourings, and there were plenty of recipe sheets lying on all the tables with suggested concoctions. Although it's still a little beyond me why it would seem like an appealing idea to go to a restaurant and, effectively, do exactly what you would do at home - make your own meal.

And then to the hotplate. I genuinely felt guilty for even going to this restaurant when I saw the horrible conditions that the two young men operating the hot plate were working under... Absolutely sweltering heat, no let up of people handing them their little bowls of food to fry... the whole set up had an air of stress and frantic desperation to try and get through the queue of people. The whole restaurant operates around an utterly unnecessary gimmick that means a couple of guys have got to work in absolutely horrible conditions, while people look on, seemingly unbothered by what they see. I could hardly bear it, and left a massive tip at the end, which I sincerely hope went directly to them, rather than to the manager.

The manager - while I'm sure his heart was in the right place - came across as snappy and bossy, hovering around the buffet like a hawk, and snapped at me for cross contaminating my food by leaving a spoon in at the bottom of my bowl 'with the meat'. When I told him I was vegetarian, he said 'well other people will see you doing it and copy you.' He could have dealt with that so much more affably and left me feeling a lot warmer towards the place.

But I feel bad being totally negative - thanks to good company I had a nice evening, and away from the hotplate, the atmosphere was good. (When people finally ended up sat down together!) Also, it's worth noting that if you're vegetarian or vegan, you could definitely put together a few decent meals for yourself, as long as you're not bothered by small traces of meaty cross contamination that could occur on the hotplate. (They scrape it down thoroughly between each portion, so it's pretty clean).

The pudding which was bought to the table was also pretty delicious - a selection of fresh fruit, marshmallows, delicious honeycomb and profiteroles with a heated chocolate dunking sauce, which rounded off the meal very nicely.
The manager was also very efficient and organised in helping us split the bill.

So overall, if you fancy an exploitative, uncomfortable, strange, cook-your-own dinner experience, then there are probably worse places you could go. It's not all bad, but in a city with as many amazing restaurants as Brighton, it seems remarkable to me that this place is still in business.

1  Thank undividual
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I have been going to this restaurant a number of times (we live a fair distance away so unfortunately can't visit too often, but we make it there at least once a year), and each time have enjoyed eating there.
The meat is frozen, but is sliced into thin enough strips to ensure it cooks properly on the griddle, and there is always a good selection of herbs, spices and vegetables which are regularly topped up.
The service has always been very good, and even my kids really enjoy coming here.
And in relation to the story about the 2 blokes being kicked out for eating too much, I say fair play to the management for being willing to take a stand against people who take the mick

Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Advise to go if you're in Brighton and fancy a restaurant a little different from the norm. It's £13.50 for all you can eat (although you're given titchy bowels) and you make the dinner which is then cooked in front of you. All ingredients is fresh and so much calamari, every dish I made had calamari in. You're given little recipe cards that are easy to follow but the great thing is you can mix it up. I'd advise though to go in a group as its not super sociable because everyone is either making, cooking or eating. Cocktails are super nice as well and go well with the food. Toilets are strangely laid out but fine.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is a fun place for larger groups. You choose your own food and they cook it for you. You can eat as much as you like . You can follow recipes or devise your own. At £13.50 per person I think it's great value. The chefs were friendly and all staff helpful. There's a 10% non compulsory service charge. The desserts are fabulous for sharing.