“Nice meal and good service”
Review of Bistro du Vin

Bistro du Vin
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro du Vin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #530 of 1,318 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$45 - US$57
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Hotel du Vin Bistro in Brighton is just off the seafront and five minutes from the madly inspiring shops in The Lanes, but who would want to leave? Set in a collection of gothic and Tudor revival buildings built by, so apt, a wine merchant, the hotel has the trademark stylish, witty, super comfortable d��cor that has won the group so many awards. The restaurant is elegant and relaxed and usually full, offering a menu rooted in classic European cuisine with a contemporary edge. The simple classics change seasonally, augmented by head chef Rob Carr���s own creations each day. The extensive, eclectic wine list is central to the hotel, with a great number of choices by the glass.
Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

Was slightly apprehensive as we had read several bad reviews on TA; however my fears were unfounded; we had a lovely meal, all the food was piping hot and delicious. I had the prawn starter which was delicious. We had duck cassoulet ( which I’m told was delicious), lemon sole, moules , and duck shepherds pie for mains; I actually couldn’t finish the mussels , a very generous portion!
Puds were also good. There is lots of choice on the menu and we found all the staff to be personable; only slight niggle was it took quite a while to get the water/drinks order when we first arrived.
Decaf cappuccino a wee bit milky , but no other complaints.
I would definitely go back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

Four for Sunday lunch. The restaurant was busy but we were seated quickly and the menu explained to us.
Self service starter buffet was good. Complimentary 2nd course of soup also good. Two of us ordered the roast beef, which was almost too rare and also heavy on the fat, with roast potatoes that tasted like they had been cooked yesterday and reheated, just a bit squidgy and not crispy at all. The Yorkshire pud was sizeable but again, bland and too chewy. I didn’t bother complaining as it was my mother’s birthday so didn’t was to make a fuss. My mother praised her steak, and the roast chicken also went down well.
The pudding menu was a little disappointing in terms of choice. Possibly consider adding a cheesecake and hot chocolate pudding / brownie with cream etc.
Perhaps an off day with the roast beef (accompanying veg was good) so will give them another chance in future.
What was first class though was the service. The young guys serving us were very attentive, polite and professional.

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

We had a double birthday Sunday lunch last week. It was a special treat. Whilst the surroundings were lovely, I must say that the lack of staff was not acceptable.

We sat for nearly half an hour to get a fist drink. We were constantly having to try and get the attention of the waiting staff on each occasion. They were very good at avoiding eye contact as they walked past the table each time.

When they did attend to us they were lovely and very accommodating, but even when asked for another bottle of wine, it was forgotten.

There was a discretionary 10% service charge of £34 added to the bill. Whilst I never mind giving a tip, I felt it was not appropriate on this occasion. We were too embarrassed to question it however.

The problem is not the quality of the staff, but the numbers hired to attend customers. What should have been a memorable meal was marred by this experience.

Reviewed September 25, 2018 via mobile

Had a business meeting there today. Awful service. The meeting room was right next to the restaurant so was noisy as the staff prepared for lunch. Refreshments were served late.

The main areas need decorating and a bit of maintenance. The gents toilets stunk of urine and had mould around the sinks.

I wouldn’t recommend this venue.

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

Having read some of the reviews on here, I wasn’t sure what to expect from our dinner. But I was so pleasantly surprised that I wanted to leave a review.

The staff were really professional and attentive, the atmosphere was great and the food was delicious - the whole experience was enjoyable and I’d recommend it to anyone.