“Who owns this place”

and 1 more site!
Le Chateau Japonais
Ranked #21 of 47 Hastings B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2012

On arrival at Le Chateau Japonais we were very apprehensive, it did not look like a bed and breakfast. We rang the bell no answer then a french lad approached us and said he worked there but could not get in as he had no key, so we had to wait. When we entered were shown to our room and were given a tour of the amenieties. We were then asked to wait in the Breakfast room which seemed like ages before he re joined us,this was because another couple had arrived and he was giving them a tour! we were asked for payment on arrival which was understandable as we could have walked out at any time.The room was very clean, however very dark with no window except in the bathroom with a sky light. The jacquzzi bath was great and so was the japanese toilet but that was all! We wanted to use the pool but got a knock on the door saying it was closed due to rain. The room was very warm and the bed uncomfortable with a dip in the middle. We had the worst two nights sleep ever. as a couple returned to the B&B at two in the morning and had a row. then ran a bath we could hear everything! Then the second night they got in at Twelve and had the television on loud till Two in the morning. Then at 5.15 am another couple decided to leave and wake everyone up. So noisy!! The breakfast awful didn't bother second morning just left at 9.o clock. The door outside our bathroom was a great relief to get some fresh air, however rubbish and weeds everywhere Very dissappointing would not reccommend for a relaxing break. Long walk to Town had to get cab in the end. Would like the Hotel inspector to visit!!

Room Tip: Go on first floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sammywestsussex

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I do agree with MaxCameron128's review.

Positives - The room was sweet, and having such a luxury bathroom with the jacquzzi bath was really fun. But to be fair the bed was very uncomfortable and the room had nothing else going for it really.
The pool was nice, and as it was a breezy day but with the sun out, it was nice to just lie in the hot pool outside.

Negatives - All the comments regarding the breakfast were bang on. I'm surprised that with all the comments about it they haven't done anything about it. It seems like it should be simple to do a breakfast spread, especially with how much we paid for the superior room. We spoke to a few of the guests who had already stayed and all the comments were about the lack of breakfast. Dirty mugs, no cutlery and no sign of the french student type for the 2 hours of breakfast. I had to hunt him out in the end and yes he was sitting there on his laptop in the kitchen. He only had to pay his guests attention for 2 hours, especially as we had paid for breakfast and he couldn't even do that.

I'm not sure this hotel will last to be fair. Its over priced for the novelty of the bath, and Hastings isn't exactly the best place. They guys have no idea how to run a hotel.

If you are happy to head on out for breakfast then go for it. The bathroom was really fun, but to be fair its overpriced for just that.

Room Tip: Room 7 was cute. Great bathroom and view of the sea.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jenny S
Reviewed 20 May 2012

The gimmick’s made it our choice, but…

If only the place lived up to the romance of France and the reliability of Japan, then our stay would have been better, if not perfect – not a word I will use again in this review. Run by what appears to be 2 students, one without any real command of English, the “hotel” – not a word I will use again either, looked good on the web and the main light fittings and bedroom furniture gave it the ‘chateau’ experience. However, the 2 people clearly knew nothing about running a house, let alone a BnB with ‘spa’ extra’s. I must admit the ‘Japanese’ toilet experience I found to be a fun extra (my partner did not feel the same, and suggested a level of violation…) and the very deep ‘spa bath’ in the room was fun, but even with us being the only residents it still took 15 mins to fill, and I cannot see how a 7 bed BnB could store enough hot water to allow this experience to happen more than once a night in a building of this size. Even with the ‘How to run a small hotel’ book being evident in the pile of rubbish (empty kitchen roll tube, kids socks, paper, pens, empty wipe tub, credit card machine…) in the ‘breakfast room’ (which was more like a dirty student den with auction brought knackered furniture which was neither Japanese or French – some strange man came in during breakfast and logged on to his net book, still wearing his coat, most bizarre), the needed actions other than taking the money were beyond the staff. I was pleased with the display of tea and coffee on our second day, but the dirty mugs and glasses were left, and more significantly the bed was not made, even though the towels were changed. When I remade the bed with my partner, we noticed the state of the mattress due to their being no mattress protector (or pillow version either). It was vile. Very heavily stained, and if you base the effect on a tree growing, it was not one person having failed to make it to the heated toilet seat of the Toto Toilet (the heat of the seat does seem to double your doings, if you get my drift). Breakfast was purchased from Tesco's on our first day, and we were given the other 2 mini pastries on the second, with only one slice of toast that time. However, I knew how to operate the Tassimo machine, which was more than the male staff member, but I would have liked more than ‘espresso’ in the dirty mugs. On a positive, the giant chocolate cereal stuff was fab! But that was all, and an apple, that was available.

When we handed the key back at the end of the stay, all we got was “ok”, but I expect this was due to language difficulties. The French girl (neither gave their names, but we could contact them on the intercom if needed) had better English but neither seemed to be really interested in running any form of guest house, and I would suggest avoiding this even with clean beds.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaxCameron128
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I can't really add anything extra to what's already been said & can confirm that the spa bath, Japanese toilet & outdoor pool really make this a great place to stay.

We stayed in April, but something to consider if you are booking in the Summer is that some of the rooms have no windows (we were on the ground floor rear room) and although the en-suite had it's own seperate entrance - which was great when we came back from the old town late at night - there is no way to ventilate the room so it would probably be unberarable in the summer.

The management/staff were not too visible, which suited us.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms without windows - room 3
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barry O
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed two nights with my girlfriend and it was the most perfect base for a weekend break/escape. The rooms are beautifully decorated in Japanese furniture and the Japanese Jacuzzi (one in every room) is the height of luxury. The crown jewel in this b n b though is the outdoor heated pool; extremely private, perfect temperature and with a clear sky you can float on your back and star gaze while the steam wafts over you.

Breakfast is very simple but satisfying and the staff are very friendly and helpful.
Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank AnthonyK3
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My partner and myself dicided to come to Hastings on sper of the moment and hadn't looked at places to stay, however with my interest in Japan drew me to this unusual B&B, gave them a call while parked out side to see if they had a room free, which they did. We had room number 3 was clean and pleasent. We we're shown around the place which has been maintained to a good standard, I even had to have a go of the Japanese loo, staff were polite and quite. if we'd had known about the hot pool We would have brought swim wear...will come again....only downside is its not very well sign posted

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Jayt70
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Was a weekend away for wifes birthday, booked it so she could experience a japanese bath and wash away some of the stress. Everything went to plan and was fantastic. The bed really comfy, the bath deep and luxuriant. The room was hot (as mentioned in previous review) but opening skylight and turning off radiator fixed that. The breakfast is also pretty poor. But soaking a few minutes in the rotenburo and the great nights sleep mean I would highly recommend this B&B; especially as it was child friendly with a welcoming smile and kindly eye kept on our ever inquisitive wandering 2 year old meaning we felt free to actually sit and enjoy our tea. If you don't mind quirky you will not be disappointed and the morning we spent with steam coming off the water surrounded by bamboo was simply magical! WIsh we'd stayed a second night and will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family