“Fabulous Flounder!”

Webbe's at the Fish Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Webbe's at the Fish Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 113 Restaurants in Rye
Price range: US$25 - US$80
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: If arriving by train - we are a short walk from Rye train station. If arriving by Bus, the main stop is near the railway station also, again short walking distance from us.
Reviewed 2 November 2015

I can't speak highly enough of Webbe's. I only wish that we lived nearer Rye so that we could visit this restaurant on a regular basis.

My husband and I ended up eating here purely on the basis of Trip Advisor reviews during a mini-break just last week. In the event, it turned out to be one of the best meals that we have ever had.

I enjoyed the Cuttlefish Fritters (Thai style) followed by the Rye Bay Flounder while my husband had the Fish Board (plus a bowl of cockles) and the Half Char Grilled Lobster. We also enjoyed sharing the Home Baked Breads and a side portion of green beans (yes, we have hearty appetites!). What's more, we never normally eat desserts (being 'savoury people') but neither of us could resist the Raspberry Crème Brûlée with Drambuie Ice Cream. We drank a fruity Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand called Fairfields and locally brewed ale, Curious IPA.

The portions were all very generous, especially of the flounder. I felt that this dish was particularly fitting to the location, not only because the fish was locally sourced but also because the smokiness of the pancetta accompanying it evoked the delicious smell of wood smoke that I have now come to associate with Rye at this time of year.

During the meal, my husband admitted that he had never before tried lobster, despite being a trained chef and having prepared it on many occasions in the past. This only added to the sense that this was a special meal and I am very glad to say that the lobster did live up to expectations!

As other reviewers have commented, the service was very attentive without being in any way stiff or suffocating - we certainly didn't feel hurried which is just as well given the amount of food that we ordered! ;-)

You know that you've had a really special meal when you're still dreaming about it over a week later...and at this rate, I might just have to book another break in Rye!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed 1 November 2015

The seafood served here is really good. My wife had a generous portion of mussels as a starter,.and I enjoyed flounder fillets cooked to perfection and served on a bed of vegetables as a main course. There was no problem in ordering reduced portions of dishes from the main menu for our children. Reserving a table for evening meals is strongly advised as this restaurant is deservedly popular.

Reviewed 1 November 2015

We had a family celebration for 36 in the first floor function room at Webbes. There was a good menu choice for children and adults, including vegetarian and special dietary considerations. The waiting staff were friendly but discrete leading to a relaxing lunch. No request was too much and everyone commented on what a lovely venue this is. With plenty of local public parking in cattle market, pay and display car park (£1.50 for the day) an enjoyable afternoon was experienced by all the family.

Reviewed 31 October 2015

Saturday lunchtime. Friendly welcome, interesting menu, swift, attentive service. Shrimps were fresh & flavoursome, chowder was delicious served in a crusty roll (but made for a small portion), lobster & fish mains were superb. Good local beers, very good but pricey wine.

Good news / bad news; it's very family friendly. There were six under fives including two noisy ones when we visited today. If you want a child friendly family destination, this could be it. If like me you want a good atmosphere and an adult oriented lunch, the Fish Cafe may not be for you. This is the only reason I gave four stars and not five.

Reviewed 31 October 2015

Went for lunch. The food was gorgeous. Staff friendly and well organised. Very good value for money. Nice toilets. Booked in advance but not too busy on a Saturday lunchtime. Worth a visit.