Open today: 10:00 a.m. - 5:45 p.m.
Review Highlights
Lovely little attraction

Visited with young children, they really loved the little village and all the features that they... read more

Reviewed yesterday
JodieLCG
Chipping Norton, United Kingdom
via mobile
Great Little Village

Visited with granddaughters who were completely enchanted with this wonderful little place.My... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
Sandy T
Mold, United Kingdom

1,409 results
All reviews attention to detail pay extra miniature version exact replica worth a visit up to date the real thing cotswold stone half an hour walk around an adult value for money entry fee model village scale church
Reviewed April 4, 2018

This is one of Bourton’s most historic and best known attractions, but it’s seen better days and somehow feels rather amateurish compared to more modern attractions. It’s 75 years or so since the model village was built and there’s a significant maintenance backlog as the tiny stones of the roofs and walls decay and break up. What’s more the ongoing refurbishment of some of the little houses poses an existential question: once the whole village has been restored and loses the patina of age, is it any more a historic attraction?
Whilst one ponders this grander question, you can while away half an hour, but not much more, wandering the small pathways. For children under 10 there is real amusement to be had here, but sadly for the rest of us this is becoming a historic anomaly that needs a rethink about what its purpose and future is.

bourton2012, Owner at The Model Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

We now have 924 four and five star reviews,thanks all.Five star review above this and four star below.The model village was built in 1936 from Cotswold stone as a replica of Bourton on the water,the village it is located in,and is the only grade two listed model village in England.All the buildings in the model village are eighty one years old,we do not have any new builds.
Regards.

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

Loved the attention to detail and the replication of Cotswolds building materials and styles right down to the trees, plants and house signs. Even a little greenhouse and a model of the model village. Just wonderful

bourton2012, Owner at The Model Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2018

Thank you for your fun review,so glad you enjoyed your visit.Adult entry price still only £3.60.We are open every day 10 to 5.45.Our post code is gl542af,we have a small pay and display car park,coins only.

Reviewed April 2, 2018

Recently we watched a home movie from early 90s where my fiance was a child visiting the model village. So when we met up with friends in Bourton-on-the-Water we wanted to visit again. All the buildings were very well made and it was adorable. Instantly recognisable from the video and my fiance had a great trip down memory lane.
When we came out and walked around the town we quickly realised that the buildings were in fact miniature versions of buildings that are actually in the town. It was fun spotting all the shops we'd seen in miniature form. So I'd definitely recommend going there before walking around.
Reasonable entry price and you can see they are maintaining it all the time to keep it in good condition. Definitely worth a visit.

Thank you for your lovely review,so glad you enjoyed your visit.The model village was built in 1936 from Cotswold stone as a replica of Bourton on the water,the village it is located in.

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

The price was reasonable, all the houses are well made, slightly tired looking but nicely exhibited exactly like Bourton-on-the-Water town. Maybe good to go there first before walking about the town, so that you will see where those shops & museums are. We loved the inception of the model village was in the model village, too.

bourton2012, Owner at The Model Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2018

Thank you for your great review,so glad you enjoyed your visit.Adult entry price still only £3.60.We are open every day 10 to 5.45.Our post code is gl542af,we have a small pay and display car park,coins only.

Reviewed March 31, 2018

I had £3.60 in my pocket and was eyeing up this overly priced Bourton on the Water pencil when I was convinced to spend my last bit of shrapnel on a trip to the model village instead.
We got to the gate and there was only 1 family in front of us, the excitement was building so much that the person behind the counter had to be able to hear the £3.60 of change rattling in my pocket as I strummed it through my fingers. Destined for the coffers of the model museum tycoons Swiss bank account.

The light drizzle started to descend upon what I could only image was like Legoland but made out of stone and of Bourton on the Water, but this did not dampen my mood. The umbrella went up and I took my first step upon what was a narrow path on my adventure around this little bit of magic.

Upon clearing the condensation and rain drops off my glasses, reality hit me. Hard. This was not legoland, this was not a magical adventure I was about to depart on, this was a dilapidated miniature version of Bourton on the Water. This I cannot guarantee as I had only been in Bourton on the Water for the morning and hadn't had chance to scope out the architectural overview of this wonderful, lovely place in the Cotswolds. I had to take their word.

As I walked around, these little stone built models looked in disrepair and like they needed some much loved TLC. Most of them looked like there had been a mini re-enactment of WW2 and tiny little German bombers had drop bombs around the place in low visibility as the accuracy was poor but enough precision to do minor damage.

As I got stuck behind the family in front, I looked around and recognized a bridge that crossed the canal which I had seen upon my arrival to Bourton on the Water. This was enough evidence to prove that the model village was in fact, what it said. Bourton on the Water.

I was over half way round and noticed these two bright lovely looking new miniature buildings which looked fantastic. I thought to myself, they must be rebuilding these after the war that had caused damage to the other buildings across the miniature village. It was honestly really impressive, great craftsmanship and a clear panel showing the inside works of the Cathedral. If the whole village is going to be restored it would be a thing of beauty.
As I looked down at my watch I realised I had only been in here 6 minutes and I could see the tiny little exit sign. My trip was almost over.

As I stood on the step looking down at the model village, which also had a model village. So, a model village of the model village, the only reason I spent a further 2 minutes here was due to the narrow steps being blocked by a family who were clearly proving indecisive about their next move.
Once they had vacated, so did I. You could get your hand stamped for same day re-admittance but I felt I had seen enough. I felt like a giant amongst mere mortals. If only for 8 minutes.

All in all, for £3.60, why not, it's better than an over priced pencil. It just needs a bit of restoration which comes at a cost and hopefully my £3.60 will contribute to the restoration of these little buildings as Bourton on the Water is a beautiful place, and the model village should be as well.

Thank you for the longest review ever.The model village was built in 1936 from Cotswold stone,as a replica of Bourton on the water,the village it is located in,and is the only grade two listed model village in England.