“Wonderful meal from start to finish”

Le Champignon Sauvage
Ranked #18 of 502 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2018

Booked for a special birthday after reading a 'top ten guide to Michelin starred restaurants in the UK'.

From my initial booking to our arrival, I felt we'd made the perfect choice.

After a glass of excellent house Champagne, with the most sublime appetisers, we were shown though to the dining room, where we decided to go for the the à la carte menu starting with poached lobster, I followed by venison & my wife the monkfish.
Wonderful chocolate dessert, then a birthday extra of sweets to go with our coffee.

A very reasonably priced wine made the entire meal much less than I'd expect from a two star restaurant.

We'll be back again to try the incredible value fixed price lunch menu ASAP.

Reviewed April 15, 2018

It was my husband's 60th birthday and we wanted a top class restaurant for lunch, we not disappointed. I only told them once of my mushroom allergy, which was carefully catered for throughout the meal. My husband loved the fine dining experience as did I.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed April 14, 2018 via mobile

Have been looking forward to going to Le Champignon Sauvage for several weeks now and it lived up and passed what I expected!!!!!!!!!!

The food quality is another level from the first item up to the last every dishes and inter course was the best food I have ever eaten.

Service and staff friendly and wonderful, explaining every dish that came to the table.

Will be back again with the wife.

Reviewed April 8, 2018

Each course and interlude was simply stunning. The price for a three set lunch menu at the weekend is extremely good value considering this is one of the most memorable meals of my life.

My only disappointment is that I've not visited before.

Reviewed April 6, 2018

I'm really surprised this place has two Michelin stars, we arrived expecting to be wowed but the whole place lacked the fineness expected for this level of restaurant.

The ambiance was very dull with harsh lighting and the service was shocking for this type of restaurant. We ate at a three rosette place in the Bath the week before and the staff were professional, well turned out, attentive and clearly very well trained in hospitality.

Here, our wine took 20 minutes to arrive - we had our starters before our wine. When it did arrive the waitress was very lazily walking over to the table swinging the bottle. No smile or apology. Both waitresses seemed very lazy, unattentive and unkempt - one especially didn't look like she wanted to be there at all. One of our party didn't have dessert but ordered coffee and petit fours - the desserts and coffee arrived and again we had to ask for the petit fours.

The food however was excellent, unfortunately let down by the unprofessional and slothenly service. A real surprise considering the amount of 5 star reviews - perhaps we experienced an off night but it isn't really on for the money you pay and the anticipation of visiting a highly regarded restaurant like this.

Date of visit: March 2018