“Great lunch”
Review of Stow Lodge Hotel

Stow Lodge Hotel
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have often walked past the hotel when visiting Stow and thinking it would be beyond my pocket.
Well, on a day trip we arrived at lunch time and our parking space was close to the hotel. Having looked at the menu at the gate I was most surprised at the reasonable cost.
The bar was comfortable, well furnished and decorated, it was clean and the temperature was comfortable.
The young male waiter was smart, polite but not overly formal, very good and a good sense of humour.
When the food arrived, it was outstanding, well presented, very tasty and generous portions.
I would recommend this hotel to all if it is lunch you want. Having looked at the restaurant menu for the evening, I was surprised to see that it was the same menu at only a few pence more. So a quality offering throughout the day, what could be better.
The only thing left is for me to look at taking my wife there for a couple nights stay, if only to try their full English!
Great eating experience.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 May 2012

We went to Stow on the Wold for a short break and stayed at an Inn. On exploring the town for somewhere to eat we wondered into this superb hotel. We went into the bar/lounge and ordered some food. I have never tasted food like it- beautiful and fresh. The service was amazing, I would recommend this hotel and next time we go we will stay there.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diane S
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I am very reluctant to write this review because it's hard enough getting a reservation at this great Lodge now but I will. My wife and I found this gem while touring our beloved Cotswolds on day trips from London. It is about a 1.5 hour trip on the A 4 and then the M 4 through Oxford to Stow on the Wold and we would have lunch in the pub and then walk aroung their beautiful grounds. This hotel/Lodge is fabulous and I rarely use that word. This is a family run Lodge, owned and operated by the Hartley family and service is their primary concern. The building was built in the 1500's and reeks of histroy while being classy. Every room is comfortable and depending on your needs they can accomodate most small families but from my experience I think this is a place better suited for mature adults. Now with regard to their two restaurants: If you are not a big eater you can order a nice meal in the Pub. Entree with sides and dessert for about 15GBP. Or, if you are looking for a more formal meal you can dine in the main dining room where you will enjoy a 3 course meal at a very reasonable price. The chef is the son of the owner and he does magic in the kitchen. Over the past 20 years and while visiting our favorite holiday location, to wit ,England, we have stayed at this Lodge maybe 12 times and usually for 1 week. F/Y/I the breakfast is included in the cost of your room and unless you are a gavone you won't need to have lunch. If you opt to go in the main dining room for the 3 course meal you will have at least 10 choices on 2 different menus. My favorite is the roasted chicken. I don't know how Steve does it but that is the best chicken I have ever had and maybe thats why I have it every night. Their ham steak is great but my wife wasn't to happy with the rib steak. Over the years I discovered you don't order any kind of beef in England. Chicken is my # 1 choice and for some unknown reason their chicken is better that ours here in NY. Ham is very good. I don't eat lamb but I'm sure that is very good. Finally Stow is a great place to stay if you want to tour The Cotswolds. About 20 miles from Straford upon Avon, 15 miles from Warwick Castle, a must visit.

Room Tip: Request room # 8 overlooking the church or room # 12 a larger room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here with my sister-in-law for three nights in April 2012.Stayed in room four which has a large bed and very comfortable and very quiet room.I have stayed at this hotel many times before
with my now late husband.The food in the restaurant is excellent and plentiful,although now i am
older i tend to eat in the bar,which is also very good.Breakfast is superb and staff are very
pleasant and helpful.I just go for the rest,and enjoy the comfort of the quiet lounge with log fire.Will definately be booking again soon,its like home from home.

Room Tip: we stay usually in room four facing the front gardens,I have stayed in most rooms except the chalet...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank magantCardiff
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We only stayed here for one night but was very impressed with Stow Lodge. superb location for the town and ample parking. All staff were very friendly and helpful.
We had room 2 overlooking the garden and it was lovely. nice comfy bed and spotlessly clean.
We had a bar meal and that too was very good. All other guests we spoke too said how good the Resturant was. Breakfast was superb with, juice,toast,porridge,a full english tea and coffee.
It was hot and very tasty.We will stay there again.

Room Tip: ask to Overlook the Garden.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Tried the rest, now I've found the best! Had a wonderful stay once again. The Chalet was fantastic, along with everything else. Beds were to die for! Thanks.

Room Tip: Chalet is beautiful
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The Lodge was exactly as pictured on the internet the staff were extremely friendly and could not fault any thing. Only wish we had the opportunity to stay longer and enjoy the surroundings, sit in the beautiful gardens and relax in the guest lounge. Tasted our first kippers. The children were made welcome. Highly recommended. The Aussie Auntie travelling with family.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
0.2 km away
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
#4 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
1.5 km away
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
6.8 km away
White Hart Royal Hotel
White Hart Royal Hotel
#1 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh

Been to Stow Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!