1,067 results
All reviews sea view lovely old hotel sunday carvery isle of wight buffet style sea front gunwharf quays historic dockyard edwardian seafront tlc foyer hovercraft venue ferries
Reviewed October 11, 2017 via mobile

Another comfortable stay at The Queen’s Hotel. An architectural gem of a building with lots of character in a good location with parking on site. We had a twin bedded room (B&B) overlooking the sea for three nights. The staff were approachable, friendly and helpful, although not necessarily proactive enough in the dining room. Yes, it is in need of refurbishment! But, work has started and we look forward to monitoring progress on subsequent visits.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2017 via mobile

I am not sure of the target audience of this hotel. It wants to charge the prices of a quality establishment, but seems a bit "turkey and tinsel" in reality.

The outside facade and the reception hall are very impressive - if a little shabby and tired. The hotel is however, undergoing refurbishment, so this should help.

The reception staff were pleasant and booking in was easy enough. The free car park is spacious and a definite bonus for Portsmouth, which is not car friendly in any way! The location is also great for exploring.

The room itself, a double with seaview, was quite large and had 2 windows overlooking the esplanade. Nice views, especially at sunset. The room was shabby though and really needs updating. No safe either, which is unusual in this day and age. The ensuite was quirky, but ok - very hot in there, but fine with the radiator turned down. The shower was not amazing, but it did the job and the water was hot. The towels were nice quality and clean.
The bed was quite comfortable too and the pillows were good.

The main problems were noise and light. The traffic on the esplanade seems particularly noisy throughout the night and we could have done without the foghorn in the early hours, although these are not the fault of the hotel. There was also a lot of noise from the bathroom fan from a nearby room throughout the night, which is a common fault in hotels. The light problem however, is definitely the hotel's fault...the curtains are simply not good enough: they are thick, but skimpy and do not cover the windows well enough. There is a lot of light from the hotel signage and lights on the esplanade and this is not kept out sufficiently. I did not get much sleep and was glad we were only staying one night.

Now to food: When we arrived we visited the bar for coffee and a snack. The bar is small, but nice. The tables are weirdly sticky, but this seems to be the old varnish deteriorating and they need replacing. We ordered capuccinos and the ploughman's platter, which were very nice. The bar staff were friendly and helpful.

We ate out at night, at a local restaurant, so cannot comment on dinner, but the menu selections looked decent enough.

Breakfast was plentiful and quite tasty, apart from the cremated mushrooms. The waiting staff were ok, but we did have to ask for tea as no one bothered to ask. The tablecloth was tea-stained, like it had not been changed from the previous occupants. This was confirmed when I saw staff clearing and resetting the table adjacent to us, without changing the top tablecloth, eventhough it was dirty. Yuck!

Check out was fine. Although we we were a little annoyed to be bothered by the housekeeping staff before we had even gone down to breakfast at 9am, eventhough checkout was not until 11am. Housekeeping staff should be informed about who is checking out and not be bugging them a good couple of hours before time! Rude! It is also a bit weird to be greeted by a member of housekeeping staff wearing a surgical facemask when you open the door to tell them to come back later. This does not give a good impression of the cleanliness of the hotel.

Overall, the hotel is ok, but expensive for what is on offer and there are enough issues with it to ensure we will not return, despite the good location. It should have been a clue that they gave us a discount voucher for a repeat stay when we checked in!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2017

​This hotel is really not worth the money that we paid for it! The hotel was dirty, under renovation and the rooms were tiny. When I pay more than £200 for a night, I expect a little quality. But what I got was dirty windows even though we paid for a sea view. The rooms are directly out of the seventies.

The hotel has obviously seen better days - taping on the floor for the carpet/carpets just of the main lobby that should have been replaced 20 years ago, the chairs in the dining room were falling apart, the wallpaper was coming off the walls and to top it off no cappuccino at breakfast nor were there any free papers to read over breakfast!

I would pay a maximum of £100 for this hotel and even then that would be generous.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank ogse
Reviewed October 2, 2017

Stayed here for two nights recently in a double room with sea view. The hotel is easy to find in a commanding position on the Southsea parade, with plenty of free car parking. The lobby is grand and has old world style, like most of the hotel. Although it is showing it's age in places, take it for what it is...... a piece of old style charm and not a corporate bland chain.
Check-in was smooth and my room's view was a delight. The room it self was large, with a high ceiling and comfy bed. All linen and towels were clean and the room tidy.
What did let the room down was the smallest hotel TV i have come across with an A4 sheet of instructions and two remote controls to work it!! The drapes (not really curtains) did not cover the windows which let in early morning light and also the light from the hotel illumination lamp outside. Other small maintenance issues aside the room was fine. Breakfast was very good. Lots of choice including fruits, yogurts, pastries, juices, cereals etc and a full English breakfast served buffet style. Although note to chef, please cook the bacon more and make it crispy!! Not enough hotels do this!
The bar was welcoming and drinks good. The menu looked fine although i didn't eat here because there are so many other options in the area.
Pleasant, friendly staff added to the experience. Yes i enjoyed my stay at The Queen's Hotel and would return.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are the best but can be noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank dean b
Reviewed September 27, 2017

Two Canadian school friends were coming over to tour the south coast of the UK and another classmate, who currently lives in France, decided to pop over for a mini reunion. Portsmouth seemed the ideal meeting point so we all booked 2 nights in the Queen's Hotel in Southsea. It looked lovely in the photos and no where on the booking sites did it mention it was under major renovations.
As we arrived it looked stunning and I imagined being transported back to a time of tea dances and formal afternoon teas. How wrong I was! As we walked through the front door we met the workman who was ripping up the carpet by the reception desk. We manoeuvered ourselves and our case around the workman, tools and piles of rubble to get to the reception desk to book in to our £108 a night double room. We were both asked to sign to say we would not smoke in the room which was not a problem as my husband and I are both non-smokers.
We then went up to room 103 our 'double ?' room. We weren't very impressed. It was approximately 10' x 9'. The curtains were half hanging off the rail. There was a small desk and chair in the corner with a mirror and wall light above. That wall light partly obscured the corner mounted TV with the curtain covering the opposite edge. There was a fan on a stand with missing plastic end pieces leaving sharp metal exposed. If you were stumbling around in the dark with no shoes on, it could lead to a serious injury. The bed was tiny. I am 5'1" and, when I laid sideways across the bed, it came up to my shoulder so not even a 4'6" double bed. There were coffee stains down the wall by the desk.The skirting boards and boxing in didn't look like they had seen a duster, damp cloth or paintbrush for years. There was no other chair other than at the desk and no where to put a suitcase to unpack other than the bed. Thank heavens it was dry when we arrived. For £108 a night I was disappointed so I complained and we were eventually offered another room on the third floor (up in the gods) which was lovely and more what I would have expected for the price.
However, walking to the room we noticed numerous stains on the carpet in the corridors of dubious origin, huge damp patches on walls and grubby window frames. I commented on the dirty windows and was told that the hotel had recently been taken over by new owners and they intend to eventually replace the windows so there was no point cleaning them!
Our friend from France was traveling on her own and had booked a single room at £175 for the 2 nights. It was little more than a cupboard, very gloomy and so stuffed with dark furniture and chocolate brown bed covers that it looked like somewhere Harry Potter might have been hidden away. To walk past the end of the bed without hitting your head on the wall mounted telly, you had to shuffle sideways leaning in over the bed. The bedside lamp had no bulb and, despite requesting one, it never materialized.
We all decided to make the best of a bad situation so went out for the evening and then left the hotel at 9:30 the next morning for a full day of sight seeing. On our return, we found a letter shoved under our door announcing they had taken £100 off my credit card for smoking in the room. I went down to reception to protest. I use a couple of essential oils on my body and in my homemade soap but in no way do they smell like smoke. They eventually agreed to refund the charge but still insisted the room had smelled of smoke on the Tues.morning.They would not accept that we are non-smokers.
Worried that they had my credit card details and could easily add the charge back onto my card once we had left when I would no longer have any evidence, I asked for the Manager to come to our room to confirm the room did not smell of smoke. He gave us his word that we wouldn't be charged but I shall be watching my credit card like a hawk to make sure it isn't added back on.
There were lots of other problems like an exterior fire escape which looks like a deathtrap (I have to hope that it is never going to be used), dead pigeons hanging in the netting across the light well and uneven floors everywhere.
This could be a lovely hotel and I am sure the new owners have that vision but it really needs to be closed for a few months while the refurbishment takes place. Whist I understand that it is necessary for a business to keep income coming in to help pay for the huge refurbishment this hotel needs I find it completely unacceptable to charge guests £100 plus a night to stay in a building site.
Had it not been for the weather and the wonderful company, it would have been a thoroughly miserable trip to Portsmouth.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view. The view from other rooms is grim.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends