“Amazing disability support”

Wightlink Isle of Wight Ferries
Ranked #35 of 129 things to do in Portsmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Wightlink's vehicle and passenger ferry service operating between Portsmouth and Fishbourne on the Isle of Wight. Wightlink is the leading cross-Solent ferry operator carrying almost five million holidaymakers and Islanders to the Isle of Wight every year. Whether travelling by foot in just over 20 minutes or by car in under 45 minutes, Wightlink’s modern, comfortable fleet of eight ferries sailing on three routes (Portsmouth-Ryde, Portsmouth-Fishbourne and Lymington-Yarmouth) provide Island-wide coverage.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We took our parents in law back to the Isle of Wight and they were so impressed by the quality of the ferry and service. I want to say Thankyou for the superb disability support ( when booking and on the ferry itself)
Excellent

Wightlink, Guest Relations Manager at Wightlink Isle of Wight Ferries, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2018

Hello Julie

Our teams have put in a lot of effort to help make sure customers with mobility issues find travelling with us as easy as possible. I'm so pleased to see their efforts have been appreciated!

For any other TripAdvisor readers who may need assistance, please visit the 'Accessible Travel and Customer Assistance' page on our website to see the kinds of help we can give (simply hover over the 'Go' menu).

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,419)
All reviews
in 48 reviews
"board"
in 274 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018

I have my elderly mother with Parkinsons who live in Shanklin. 90% of the time I travel on my own to see her and have to take my car to take her to appointments. However the costs of this ferry makes it less and less possible for me to get over as frequent. Its always been very expensive but even more so the past couple of years My brother has been told that to get a good rate he should book in advance. He's trying to book in September and they want £130 for the return crossing - really! Surely they should implement a family rate?

Hello Lisa

I'm sorry you find the cost of visiting your mother to be high.

Generally speaking, the earlier customers book the more likely they are to pay a lower fare. This enables us to offer lower fares for those sailings that fewer customers have reserved, which means lower fares may be found by being more flexible with dates, routes or times of sailing.

It could be worth checking our Discounts and Offers webpage to see if there are any deals you can take advantage of (one of the most popular offers is to Boost the value of Tesco Clubcard vouchers by x 3 their value to use with us). Simply hover over the ‘Go’ menu on the top of our homepage.

Finally, you may want to consider signing up our website to receive our newsletters by email to be kept informed of various news, events and special offers we may run from time to time.

I do hope that some of the above information is of use to you in securing the best possible price for your travel and we look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Be aware that pre-paying for a multi-pass may not permit you to travel, yet if you pay by cash, availability is there. On the 4.4.18 I cannot use my £500 multi pass, but if I buy a new £60 return, no problem ! By the way, £60 is only £10 more than they would have charged my multi-pass! Pure greed.

This is an unfair practice that must stop, even though it is covered in the VERY small print!

On balance, my view is to keep your money, deprive them of cash flow and pay as you go; it will work out better for the consumer in most cases. I shall never renew, giving me additional red funnel options and hovercraft .

Hello Pch2502

I'm sorry you're unhappy with the terms of our vehicle Multilink Pass for Isle of Wight residents.

A minimum of 10% of every sailing is reserved for Pass users, but on busier sailings these spaces can be taken up by other customers who have booked all the discounted spaces. We advise this in a short statement the customers has to sign in order to purchase these reduced fare tickets and it's printed on the Passes themselves.

My apologies once again there were no spaces available when you came to book with your Pass. We'd always advise booking further in advance to be guaranteed the sailing of your choice, particularly over the Easter holidays.

Reviewed April 2, 2018

Arrived at Portsmouth,told staff my wife was wheelchair bound as soon we checked in,we received excellent service throughout our trip across the channel both going on to the ferry and whilst on board,the staff could not be any friendlier and helped us with anything we needed,we will definitely use this service again in the future,thank you WIGHT LINK.

Wightlink, Guest Relations Manager at Wightlink Isle of Wight Ferries, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2018

Hello Kevboy2018

Thank you very much indeed for your kind comments.

We're so pleased you and your wife had a lovely time! If your wife has a Blue Badge don't forget to check our website for details of our discount policy :)

Thanks again!

See more reviews
Reviewed March 29, 2018 via mobile

Travelling back from the Island as a group of 3 cars. All on same crossing all arrived together and queued behind each other. Front two cars waived on, I am told to wait. Then got a phone call 10 mins later, my colleagues are on board and have set off. All our equipment is now split and the work we were going to do together on board won't get done. Not impressed. I followed 20 mins later on the ferry we were all supposed to be on. Won't use this company again. Will also attempt to have them removed from our company booking system.

2  Thank Matrixsenior

Dear Matrixsenior

I was sorry to read your disappointment that some of your party were invited to board on an earlier sailing and you were unable to join them.

Unfortunately there was not enough capacity for everyone to go on an earlier sailing. Generally customers welcome being transferred to an earlier sailing but I am sorry that is this case it was inconvenient.

For customers travelling in a party in more than one vehicle I would recommend letting our team know on arrival, so where possible we can keep you together. If you don't want to go an earlier sailing please make one of our team aware before driving onto the ship.

Sorry again for the disappointment caused on this occasion.