“Pleasant stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed here for one night recently as I had to visit the University. It is perfectly situated for University business and has ample parking. The hotel is slightly dated but the rooms were absolutely fine (although our TV didn't function) and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the breakfast was a fine selection of fruits, juices, toast, muffins and full English breakfast. Throughout the staff were fantastic. There is a bar adjoining the hotel (very quiet so no need to worry about noise) and a large range of shops a few minutes walk away. Would use this hotel again if I was in Southampton and visiting the University.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

We did have a few problems with our stay: a very stuffy airless room, a TV that took three people to turn on, a bathtub that wouldn't empty and a coach revving its engine outside at 5:30 am....... howver, having bought these points to the attention of the hotel staff, I without question had my bar bill zeroed (a bottle o wine and 2 beers) plus a bottle of wine to take home with me. I also had an email from the hotel within 24 hours of checking out apologising for the problems and assuring me they were looking into the issues. Impressed.

I would recommend this hotel, it's clean, nicely laid out and the staff are friendly helpful and polite. And although the hotel was clearly very busy on the weekend we stayed, the customer service certainly didn't suffer. Breakfast is good too. Ample parking and a good location - easy to find.

I'd stay again if I was to visit the area.

Room Tip: if there are any with air conditioning, get one in summer - the rear facing rooms were extremely hot...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

I've stayed in ' big name chain' hotels in Southampton at least 6 times before and would have no problem recommending Highfield House Hotel, I'm so glad that I found it through perseverance of search engines. Staff were really friendly and helpful from the point of my initial e-mail enquiry giving that personal touch. Decor is not boutique or ultra fashionable but Highfield delivers a clean comfortable bedroom with en suite facilities with towels and toiletries. We were a group of 4 family members staying in a triple and a single. There is ample open parking, which is free for the duration of your stay or you can pay per night for parking if you leave your car for cruise or holiday. Totally met our needs which was for a one night stay with parking. The only downside was there were no lifts / elevators and we had a trek up to the second floor with suitcases, for this reason I gave 4 stars rather than 5. However staff did offer to help with luggage. If you have mobility issues, then check accessibility statements or check with the hotel first. Reception area was clean and comfortable, complimentary magazines were available and if required drinks were also available to order, with a clear price list on the wall in large font. Breakfast was excellent, cooked, coninental, vegetarian breakfasts available, veggie sausages cooked to order. I loved the fact that there was a staff member making toast in a toaster for you, it was much better than hanging around those rotary toaster thingies, so we were able to get on with eating. Location, really easy to find, 10 minute taxi ride to Southampton cruise terminals. 60 yards or so from a Sainsburys and the local shops. There is a cafe bar next door and plenty of restaurants nearby on the shopping street. Considering it was bustling around the corner, the hotel is on a leafy residential type road and we were not disturbed by any noise, even though there was a party at the hotel. We will definately be coming back and a friend is going to use this hotel for business trips following my recommendation.

Room Tip: Check out if there is an accessibility statement on any hotel booked. If you have mobility problems...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Cambr1a
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

stayed here for one night for work. Rooms a bit dated, and I moved to a refurbished room, as the wall tv could not be moved, therefore meaning you had to lie on the bed to watch tv. However room change was not a problem, and refurbished room much nicer. the hotel is a little dtaed, but friendly staff who were very helpful andwas clean. i would ask for a refurbished room if you are staying.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Nice clean room with everything you need. Staff friendly and helpful. Convenient for bars and restaurants in Portswood, plenty of parking, and a good price.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula S
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

We were a party of 4 (2 couples) and stayed here for 1 night only. We were very happy with everything, the room was clean and basic but for the money and breakfast included we felt it was good value for money. The staff were all attentive and polite, we had no complaints.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I was encouraged by the good reviews and also by their own advertising which claims this is a 'stylish modern hotel' . On arrival, before I even saw my room, the receptionist took full payment for the 10 days of my stay, not the usual per authorisation procedure. When I finally saw the room, it was little more than a cupboard with a single bed inside. After much negotiation I was finally allocated a larger room, only to be told that was only available for four days. Visitors should also be aware there is no life, and a lot of stairs!

Breakfast was cold every morning, and the bacon was amazing in being both cold and hard.

When I checked out on the fourth day, having made other arrangements for the remainder of my stay, I was told I could not have a refund of the extra six days I had paid for because' the credit card machine is broken'. I was promised this would be processed that afternoon, needless to say I had to phone four days later to chase this, and it was finally refunded then.

The only redeeming feature was the restaurant next door, good food, excellent wine and great service.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo