“WORST NIGHT SLEEP EVER IN A HOTEL”
Review of Merton Hotel

Merton Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Hereford
Lancashire
“WORST NIGHT SLEEP EVER IN A HOTEL”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The worst nights sleep ever had in a hotel. The bed seemed to made from concrete, it would me more comfortable sleeping on t he floor. It was a hot muggy night, no aircon or even a fan. It was roasting in the room. Open the old style sash window to try and get some air but the din from Wetherspoons over the road and the road noise was too loud, so shut the window and tried to shut the secondary double glazed window but it was broken and would not shut [our friend in the next rooms window was also broken]. The noise till 2pm from passers by, the from 5 am from the busy traffic in the main road below. Got virtually no sleep and woke up knackered the next morning...not a relaxing break at all.
The rest of the hotel was fine, nice bar and garden area, full english breakfast was very good. No parking a bit of a pain, but the hotel do state there is no parking so cant blame them for that.
Message to the Hotel...Either fit aircon, or at least provide a fan, fix the double glazed window and oooooh, get some decent beds. £70 for this type of hotel is not cheap either £50-£55 would be more suitable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank daveskiLancashire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Uk
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Good food and good breakfast included in the reasonable price (£70 for double room). Beds comfortable.
However, the room (No.5) could do with a lot of TLC.
The bathroom door would not close.
The floor creaked very noisily.
Furniture was rather old and tired.
No parking at hotel - bus station car park opposite free from 6pm to 8am.

Would only recommend if no other hotel available

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
The dinner was good.
The breakfast was good.
The bed was good.
The service was good.
The cleanliness was good.
There is free car parking within 100yds.
Sounds good !
The floor boards in room 5 do creak - sorry.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Booked this hotel because other recommendations were booked out. Decent rate including breakfast.

The hotel is in the bad part of town - heaps of unsavoury characters hanging around the front of the hotel on the street at night, I think because of proximity to the station.

Rooms very bland. Bed uncomfortable. Fine for one night but not for much longer.

Had a room that was on the front of the hotel, next to the main street. Very noisy all night, especially with sirens from emergency vehicles.

Breakfast and staff fantastic, but hotel will never be more than a 3 star - I would actually call it a 2 star at present. But good value anyway.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank raura
Trevor08, Owner at Merton Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2011
Commercial Road is not, by any stretch of the imagination "The bad part of town" It does not have the charm of Church Street (No Hotel) It does not have the architecture of St Owen's Street (No hotel) It is not traffic free like High Town (No hotel) It does not have the traditional market, butchers and florists like Widemarsh St (No hotel) But... it does have a number of reputable pubs, three restaurants and a cinema amongst the 9-5 commercial and retail businesses. Whilst the road is vibrant during the evening I can not imagine that the railway station contributes to the " Unsavoury element" as the late trains out of and into Hereford are far and few between. All of our rooms are individually decorated and have newly purchased tv, digital radio and dvd players, tea and coffee amenities, en-suite facilities, most with bath and shower, tasteful pictures on the walls and whilst being relatively close to the County Hospital means that there is the odd siren in the night many of our rooms are at the rear of the hotel and can be booked upon request. I thank the reviewer for her comments but make no apologies for our location.
Pembroke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2011

This was the 2nd time we've stayed at the Merton, both occasions were leisure breaks. We chose the hotel because of its City Centre location - within walking distance of all the sights of Hereford (Cathedral, Cider Museum etc.). On both occasions, we've had a warm welcome from the owners / Managers and the feeling that they really cared that all your needs were catered for. Their "sister" restaurant a short walk away (Gilbies Bistro / Wine Bar) and their own hotel restaurant offer a wide selection of good food with friendly service. Breakfast cooked to order (much better than a buffet style set-up) - tasty, hot, lots of it. Looking at some of the other reviews, I can't help wondering if these people bothered to look at the hotel web-site prior to booking - why complain about traffic noise, lack of telephone & car park when the web-site clearly states it's in the middle of town and does not claim to have either a car-park or telephones in the rooms! To the person who complains about the pillows, I say - why don't you just ask for extra pillows - I did and extra pillows were delivered to our room.
To the owners I say - thank you for making our break a relaxing, stress-free experience - we'd just come from a "family visit" in Kent and booked at very short notice, just to get away from it all for a few days. See you next time
Jayne & Rod

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JayneK_10
Bath
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Stayed here recently and have to say that I was not impressed. This was a business trip and I get to stay in a lot of hotels. This is one that I will not be staying in again. For £65 I expect a bit more than I got.

The carpets throughout the hotel are in need of replacement - I have seen this comment from others who have stayed here and the owner replied saying it was "rustic charm". No it is not - it is "in need of refurbishment". My room had the worlds smallest TV which had not yet been visited by the Digital fairies so all you could get was channels 1 to 5. There was a sign saying how to get digital reception but you needed the remote control. After a while of hunting for the remote I gave up and ventured down to reception. They replied to my "is there a remote control?" question with the response that "no, there isn't one". No explanation - just a confirmation that their isn't one and that I should cease my search for it.

This wouldn't have mattered so much but the TV had a habbit of not wanting to change channels. I also discovered that my colleague did have a remote for their TV - so it was just my room then that didn't have one.

The pillows in the room was so utterly uncomfortable that I got hardly any sleep. I've stayed in a lot of hotels over the years and it's been a long time since I was so unable to get a good nights sleep.

As there is no parking at the hotel you have to park in the nearby bus station. Not a huge issue for some but for me this was not good. You have to go out and put another ticket on your car if leaving after 0800 hrs and with it being in a publich space is not good if you are security conscience.

All in all I cannot reccomend this hotel and will not be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank biggerbige

Travellers are raving about these Hereford hotels

Torquay Devon
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I stayed at the Merton 1st - 3rd June and frankly was not impressed.
Firstly no car park - you have to park opposite behind the bus station which has no cctv and the car park is obscured from view so you have the constant concern whether your car is ok.

Secondly I have never been asked to pay for my room upon arrival before, I had not even seen the room to ascertain whether it was suitable and met with my requirements.By all means take an authorisation on the card as most hotels do.

Thirdly £65 for a room is not good value for a room that is in a "hotel" that is dated and in desperate need of an overhaul. The decor is very 1970`s and the carpets are threadbare and worn. The exterior desperately needs a paint job as it looks very tatty.

Fourthly I was shocked to realise there are no phones in the room and in terms of security was told no one arrived until 6.30am by the receptionist.Tvs in the room were portable and cheap and nasty with all manner of peeling red tape plastered over the front of them. I had a remote control which was something of a luxury by all accounts!

Next to the hotel was a pub with a beer garden so warm weather and late nights there was an assortment of loud raucous behaviour to endure not only from the pub but from the people walking along outside. Opposite the hotel just down a bit are another couple of pubs one of which is Wetherspoons. Hotel is on a busy main road with constant flow of traffic at all hours of the night.

Furniture in the room was old and tired looking and looked as tho it had endured a hard life like the decor and carpets.

Breakfast was adequate, to be honest at best this is a budget guest house and not a hotel. I would not describe my comments observation as `part of the rustic charm` either. It is not up to scratch.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank HobbitDBL
Trevor08, Owner at Merton Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2010
In order of comment.
We do not, and never have, stated that we have a car park.
If asked, we explain to all guests the exact situation with regards to car parking.
We have never ( in five years ownership ) had a complaint with regards to a damaged car.
We always take a £50 deposit for a room.
We never insist on full payment in advance.
Our single room rate is £55 which includes a full breakfast.
All of our bed room carpets have been replaced within the last twelve months.
The only carpet which is slightly worn within the whole hotel is on the staircase.
We do not have telephones in our rooms.
There is a manager living in the hotel who is contactable by a guests telephone on the reception desk at any time of night, once reception has closed
Our reception is open from 6.30 am until midnight.
60% of our televisions have been replaced over a two year period. Some are still old analogue sets that have a good reception on all five channels.
There is not a pub next to the hotel.
There is not a beer garden attached to a public house that can be seen or heard from the hotel.
Wetherspoons is in the same street as the hotel.
We are a city centre hotel, we have the benefits that that brings along with the pitfalls.
Some of our rooms are at the back of the hotel and are not affected by road noise.
We constantly assess all of our rooms, replacing furniture and refurbishing as we see necessary.
We cook breakfast to order, comprising of Egg, Bacon, Sausage, Beans, Tomato, Mushrooms, Fried bread and Blackpudding You could choose boiled, poached or scrambled eggs. You may also choose fresh fruit, yoghurt, cheeses, fresh fruit salad and cereals. We serve orange juice, freshly brewed caffetierre coffee, decaffeinated if you wish, and tea, herbal if you wish.
What is the difference between a hotel and a guest house ?
The reviewer makes no comment with regards to the "Hotel" facilities. Full, licensed, public bar,
Fifty seat a la carte restaurant, meals served all day from seven am until 9.30pm, attractive patio area, wi fi facilities, attentive, well trained, professional staff.
We are often complimented not only upon a guests enjoyable stay but also on the service aspect of our hotel.
Kevan Gilbert
marymas
Reviewed 30 December 2009

Noise outside the hotel from a night club opposite kept us awake till 5.30 in morning. Receptionist and waitress who were both same person were unprofessional.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family