All reviewscar parkenglish hotelside streetone way systemlovely buildingtraditional hoteltown centresaturday nightkippersfish and chipsbar foodstreet noisebaguetteearly hoursfull englishmany thanksbreakfast was excellent
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Having read the excellent reviews on the Salisbury, we stayed 2 nights last week (we were attending a wedding at Quendon Hall) - what a great hotel! as soon as you walk in there is a very welcoming feel to the place. Good selection of cask McMullen ales and superb wine selection. The bar food is far superior to normal bar food - especially the fishmonger's platter! We dined in the restaurant each evening - I had plaice the first night and with our 2 guests on the second night halibut which was exceptionally good. The staff are very professional as well as being very helpful and friendly. Free parking in their car park at the back is great as parking is at a premium in Hertford and we saw plenty of traffic wardens!
It was a pleasure to stay in such an historic and fascinating 16th century inn!
We would certainly not hesitate to stay there again and would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of going. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stayed at the Salisbury Arms for a school reunion (late 13th century!) in Hertford and nearby Ware. I'd heard and read some stuff about noise in the main street so I'd already shied away from one or two other hotels, but this one gets less criticism for that so thought we'd give it a go. We didn't regret it! I did raise the question of noise while checking my booking (I'd made it through an online third-party system which is usually reliable but I have been let down once by such a system so no harm in checking.) The nice lady to whom I spoke was refreshingly honest about the noise and on the basis of her honesty (and the belief that having a small drink inside you doesn't hurt) we went ahead with the booking. Good move!

What actually happened was that there was a sort of happy background burble for a while, then a bit of a peak around 2am as people left, found cabs, picked their friends up from the pavement (hic!) etc. This was maybe 20 minutes' worth, was no worse than what goes on up and down our street at home, and honestly did not represent a problem for our enjoyment of our stay. This is the payoff for the fact that you are in a beautiful, historic building right in the town centre: you choose one, you get the other. If you wanted perfect velvet silence on a Saturday night then this would not be your hotel de choix, but if you can tolerate a bit of jolly/drunk sounds in return for the fabulous building and location, the you have got yourselves a deal.

We had an "executive double" room and it was very nice indeed - plenty of space, a really decent sized bathroom with a real bath, and a very comfortable homely feeling. I can't report on the comfort of the bed as I was out like a light - oh hang on, I just have. The building is a hoot - I think it has a date on it of 15xx somewhere - and this is reflected in the changing floor and ceiling levels, eccentric routes through the building, etc. Check out the lovely curvy woodwork downstairs in the entrance and bar!

We had the hotel breakfast as it was included in the tariff - this was excellent and really offered you the ability to fill up for the day, if you were so inclined. The staff here, as in reception, were lovely. I felt genuinely welcomed.

Rather amazingly for its location the Salisbury Arms actually has its own car-park, up Bell Lane on the right of the building (looking from in front). Finding the way in was an interesting moment but this was just my GPS being stupid and my being stupider - there's a one-way system which meant that I'd have done better to specify the exact spot, not somewhere near the front of the hotel. I ended up doing a slightly illegal manoeuvre to get across the front of the hotel to Bell Lane but hey, victimless crime. The car-park has CCTV from reception, which is reassuring. I found the car-park a big plus when you think what a faff it can be sometimes.

In summary, if you are very sensitive to noise don't sleep here on Saturday nights unless well tanked up. If you can compromise a bit, trading noise for the rest of the fantastic experience, then this is a terrific hotel. I would be back there next weekend given half a chance, believe me.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vogel421
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Salisbury Arms earlier this month for one night. We enjoyed our stay very much and would definitely return.

The hotel building is very old but charming and clean. Check-in was very easy and smooth. Our room faced the street and had a large window and window seat with a nice view of the street. Sometimes when you stay in older places you get concerned if you move the curtains or walk in the corners of the room you will kick up a bunch of dust. Not the case at the Salisbury Arms. The room was spacious and clean. The linens were soft and the bed comfortable.

We spent some time in the pub downstairs and found that enjoyable as well. They had a good selections of beer and wine.

Smooth check out. The staff was helpful in getting a cab. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mike005
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This hotel is often fully booked, for good reason as it offers great value in the heart of Hertford. Rooms are good and restaurant is excellent with some good deals.
Good selection of real ales in the bars with a traditional welcoming ambience from their excellent staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Even though only spending one day at the Salisbury Arms the overall experience was a good one. A small hotel housed in an old building, as can be noticed by the narrow corridors and creaky wooden floors. This is not a detriment however but adds a nice charming atmosphere to the place. The room was a "deluxe" version and was very well kept and quite spacious. The bathroom was a pleasant surprise with a good sized bath tub.

A nice experience and you get the feeling that the owner(s) pay attention to keeping the rooms tidy and in good condition. A downside might be the somewhat clunky wooden bedframe but this shouldn't stop a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends