All reviews car park english hotel side street one way system lovely building town centre saturday night kippers fish and chips bar food street noise baguette full english early hours many thanks breakfast was excellent pudding
Reviewed April 8, 2012

The hotel is great if you're on a business trip. Due to the lack of attractions in Hertford, it is not ideal for families. There is no entertainment in the hotel, which is expected. The breakfast is brilliant, a waiter/waitress comes to you and you can order off of a menu which has a good range. I'm a fussy eater, and I have no problem with eating. Car parking is free, you just need to get the code off of the receptionist to leave the carpark. There are 4 dining rooms. One room is for people staying at the hotel, one room is in the style of a pub, one room is for dining and eating off of their menu, and my favourite room is the one at the front of the hotel, which is usually good for having tea in.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JaySackwild
Reviewed March 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Salisbury Arms at the beginning of March for one night. We've stayed here once a year over the past 4 years when we have a meet up with friends in Hertford and are never disappointed. The hotel itself is a charming, proper 'olde worlde' hotel with two lovely cosy bars and a good restaurant. The style of the furnishings in the hotel are in keeping with the age of the hotel my only complaint being that our room was looking a little tired and in need of a makeover. Having said that it was as always immaculately clean and very comfortable. We've never eaten in the hotel in the evening but the food always looks good and there always seem to be a lot of people eating in the bar area. The cooked breakfast is always great and all the staff from the lovely receptionist to the waiting staff are professional, accomodating and friendly. A great place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I have being staying at this hotel about twice a year for about 7 years and have never had anything to complain about. The staff are always friendly and take a pride in their work.
The breakfasts are very good. It is situated in the centre of Hertford and is a 15 minute walk from the railway station for easy access to London. The weekend rate for a single person is reasonable. I often arrive about 10 am and if a room is available there is no problem checking in early.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jackgr
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I had an early meeting on Monday morning so due to the bad weather and heavy snow i travelled down Sunday and stayed in the salisbury arms what a pleasant suprise when i walked in lovely old quaint bar and an amazing jacobean staircase to the first floor.
The rooms are spacious clean and have super fast internet.
I had home made soup followed by a roast dinner in the evening not massive portions but adequate and very tasty.
I managed to chat to several of the staff they were all very nice and pleasant specially the bar staff

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My wife and I have just spent two nights at the Salisbury Arms. Arrived early on Friday, phoned from their car park and was told we could check in. First room was fine, but it was at the top of the hotel--listed building, no lifts. The nice young lady assigned to help us with our bags, was we were pleased to see also puffing by the time we got into the room. Asked for another room--at 73 cant be doing with all those stairs, and after a few minutes we were allocated another room on the first floor--sorted!!
Had a brilliant stay; plenty of places to sit and drink in the hotel; wide choice of bar food which was excellent and good portions. Breakfast one of the best--all freshly cooked and menu is excellent, and you can guess what the restaurant is like!!
All the staff were very helpful and aware of what was and wasn't possible, so never any nasty surprises. As we have family in this area, we will be visiting again in the summer and no debate as to where we will be staying.

Room Tip: Apparently some guests have complained about noise outside in the lower level rooms. We did not have an issue with this, but you may want to mention it when booking along with room location if like us you are getting on a bit!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family