“Amazing good & excellent service all for a great price”

The Abbey Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Abbey Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 356 Restaurants in St Albans
Price range: US$20 - US$99
Description: The Abbey is a neighbourhood restaurant based in the heart of St Albans, Hertfordshire. We are a short walk from the famous St Albans Cathedral. The Abbey offers simple, seasonal and sustainable cuisine. We use only the best locally sourced produce to create our modern interpretation of classic European cuisine.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Heard about this amazing restaurant and thought I would see what all the fuss was about myself..... and I was not disappointed. The food was Michelin star quality and the service from all the staff was excellent, we were made to feel very welcome and looked after. I would highly recommend this restaurant as it’s my new favourite, you will not leave disappointed.

5  Thank Laura B

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

A new opening in St Albans and a really welcome addition. Food is modern British and is priced in a way that it’s c £30 a head for food (£8 starters, £15 main, £7 puds). This is a really nice concept but leads to some odd price comparisons eg polenta costs the same as lamb?! However , overall I like this concept with a choice of c 4-5 dishes per course. Wine list is similarly limited but has a range of price points to suit all budgets...
Staff were friendly and overall we had a lovely evening and will visit again soon.
My only criticism is that I had the salted cod to start which was served in a bowl which made it very difficult to eat rather than on a plate but this is obv a very minor point!

5  Thank Gate15
Reviewed April 3, 2018

We attended the opening night, both the canapés and atmosphere were amazing! We were welcomed with big smiles and friendly faces. The feature wall is just beautiful :) Wonderful food, wonderful staff, a perfect evening!

5  Thank lorakate28
Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

Omg! What can I say?!?!
Decided to book having heard the restaurant had opened only 3 days ago - good to give new places a go. The restaurant sets a seasonal menu and the name of the game is locally produced, good quality ingredients.
From the get go it felt like we were on a taste safari! Amazing flavours blending perfectly together in the most unexpected ways! My absolute favourite restaurant is Auberge du Lac at Brocket Hall and the Abbey certainly comes a very very very close second in terms of an outstanding, unique, quality food experience but at really reasonable prices! The Chef is clearly very creative and talented!
I started with the salt fish fritters (see menu). A bit of an amazing experiment and not something I would normally choose. Main was the Guinea Fowl and we ordered the spring greens with chilli and skin on fries on the side. All perfection and the most amazing flavour combinations!!
To finish we shared the Tonka bean pana cotta and the chocolate mousse. Heavenly - and I’m not a huge chocolate mousse fan normally!!
Highly recommended although I might regret it if it becomes one of the ‘go to’ restaurants in St Albans and I can’t get a table easily !!!!!
I’m certainly going back! Please keep a little corner of the restaurant for me

5  Thank R0mab
Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

Wonderful food - very good portion too. Michelin star candidate

Lovely setting too

Defo spreading the word - as long as we still get first option !!

Jumped to the head of a very good queue of St Albans restaurants!

4  Thank Ant360