“Nice lunch - good service”
Review of The Parrot

The Parrot
Ranked #41 of 391 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 19, 2018

Situated in the back lanes you have to go and look for this one.

We popped in on a Monday Lunchtime, so didn't expect it to be busy, there were around 6 other people there at the time. We sat at the back in a little snug area, which would be really cosy when the fire is on, giving the place a real homely feel.

As we were booked for a large celebratory meal in the evening we only wanted a snack and drink, so decided to share the burger/chips meal. We asked if they would cut the burger into two in the kitchen to save us messing about and when it came they had split the meal onto two separate plates....what a nice thing to do, thank you.

Prices were reasonable and staff welcoming. Had we been staying longer in Canterbury we would definitely have returned for an evening meal here.

2  Thank Thecatsmum4

Reviewed April 9, 2018

I have been going here for years and years because it's nicely decorated pub with what used to be a great atmosphere. I ordered an ale that was essentially coloured water. These things happen and even though I hate returning things, I decided that this was too extreme and went back to the bar and explained to the manager that the keg was definitely off and asked if I could have a different beer instead. I was greeted incredibly rudely saying that no, everything was fine and that I was wrong and essentially told to take it or leave it by the manager. I know that a single beer is such a small thing but I have never experienced such poor customer service in my life. I had been drinking this specific ale for most of the weekend around town and had never been so sure about something. So, either the bar is run by someone who literally has no idea what beer should taste like or this is a case of deliberately poor quality and service. Regardless, I was appalled by the manager's reaction.

Ever since the pub changed ownership in recent years, the quality, management, and most of all the service has been horrendous.

Although things were not quite as bad the last time I went, I thought I would give it another chance. I now safely know that I will never come back here. I would choose literally any other pub in Canterbury.

1  Thank macmac154
Reviewed April 4, 2018

A lovely pub, friendly staff, amazing food and beer. Excellent menu. Very old building with medieval beginnings, just a short walk from the Cathedral, the learning house, and the theater. We reserved the upstairs ahead of time for a big group, preordered starters, mains and desserts and the staff pulled it off without a hitch. Very good food, very good choices. The mushrooms on toast was delicious, as was everything else I ate there.

2  Thank Julie C
Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

A lovely pub in the lively city of Canterbury. Great atmosphere and fabulous service. The staff are friendly and look after you from the moment you sit down. The food was very good. Would advise to book as was busy at weekend.

2  Thank hubbakent
Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

A wonderful old pub. Really friendly staff, good food, good atmosphere and good beer. I will definitely be back when visiting Canterbury.

2  Thank Phil A