“Pleasant new eastern Turkish restaurant with uncommon dishes as well as standards.”
Review of A La Turka

A La Turka
Ranked #65 of 391 Restaurants in Canterbury
Reviewed April 20, 2016

Very pleasant lunch in pleasant surroundings at the eastern end of town, near sports centre and supermarket. Tasty, different eastern Turkish dishes (like Lebanese), pleasant surroundings, good service, good value.

1  Thank 33ash

Reviewed April 19, 2016

I love A La Turka (the Northgate branch - there's another one in St Dunstan's that we haven't visited). They do the most fantastic lamb ribs, sizzling hot and juicy, with a lovely salad and rice or chips. Excellent value. There's a lot of other stuff on the menu including the traditional meze, and I recommend the calamari as well. There's a takeaway attached to the restaurant and you can see what's going on in the kitchen behind - all sparkling clean. I can't recommend this highly enough and can't wait to go back!

1  Thank Captain_Cook_9876
Reviewed April 2, 2016 via mobile

I went to the Al la Turka for a friends birthday meal on Friday 25th March 2016, I have to say I am extremely disappointed with my dining experience.
It started with the table not being big enough or laid for the amount of people my friend has booked for, I had to be squeezed on the end of the table with very little leg room & I could not move from the chair. Where I was sitting was next to the door people were going in & out to use the toilet or go out for a cigarette, the wind was so cold & the door was banging as it does not shut properly & I ended up sitting for the majority of the meal with a blanket wrapped around my shoulders & my partners jumper on my lap, I had bought a new top for the occasion which seems absolutely pointless!
Food wise, the starters were lovely, we had the hot meze, however I ordered a 'house special' which was the marinated chicken shish with yogurt, when I ordered I asked the waitress if I could have rice with it but was told it was an all in 1 meal and would not need any side order. When the food came it was in a small dish and there were pieces of chicken in the sauce & 2 huge dollops of yogurt, nothing else. I waited to see if there would be anything extra served but nothing came. I spoke to the waitress who told me there was bread in the bottom of the dish, firstly there was no bread in the bottom of the dish as I had looked and I ate the whole thing, I told her this several times but she insisted there was. She asked what I wanted & I said I would like some rice but actually by the time it was cooked my food would have been cold & all my friends would have finished their dinners. A friend had some spare rice that she donated to me.
In total my partner & I spent £60 that night on food & drinks & I left the restaurant feeling utterly disappointed, cold & still hungry. I emailed the restaurant over a week ago with these comments but have received no response. From looking at other reviews on trip advisor my advice would be if there is a large group of you avoid this restaurant!

1  Thank ZaraSimone
Reviewed March 12, 2016

We went to this restaurant for dinner last night. The place is smart and well cared for. There were four charming waitresses on duty and they were attentive and helpful.

The food came in generous quantities but:

1. There was a tendency to deep fry things like the traditional sausage and the haloumi, which should be grilled.
2. The hot meze items were placed on cold hoummous or tzaziki, which was inappropriate. Moreover, these cold items were in any event included with the cold meze.
3. The hot and cold meze, each comprising about five items, were served on a single plate, which was unattractive. Individual small containers would be so much better and prevent cross contamination.

The grilled meat of the main course was good. More time between the starters and the main would be helpful and make for a more enjoyable meal.

Some small changes would greatly improve this establishment.

1  Thank Kishandes
Reviewed February 28, 2016

Extensive menu and it is not compulsory to select Turkish flavoured dishes. However, if you like Turkish flavours, this is the place for you. Exquisite flavours in well proportioned / generous dishes. Genuine Turkish wines as well, which are certainly quaff-able but maybe not the choice of a wine connoisseur. We will be back, and already looking forward to it. The Turkish liqueurs are tasty too, as a nice way to finish the meal.

1  Thank John V