“Wonderful food and with the added bonus of being dog friendly.”
Review of Oscar & Bentleys

Oscar & Bentleys
Ranked #21 of 389 Restaurants in Canterbury
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Oscar & Bentleys is an intimate bistro set in one of Canterbury's beautiful, historic buildings, with a modern art deco interior. We serve classic & inspired seasonal dishes. Quality is at the heart of everything we do - from our carefully selected suppliers to the finishing detail of our dishes. Everything is beautifully presented to give you, the diner, a wonderful experience. We have an interesting selection of vegetarian, gluten & dairy free options available at all times.
Reviewed March 13, 2018

As a coelic it is very rare to find a restaurant that I can order absolutely anything from the menu and feel confident to do so.
I popped in today for lunch with my daughter and our little dog and we were immediately made welcome and our little dog was given a bowl of water. (fab!)
The food we ordered was delicious and the service was top notch. The menu also caters for vegetarians and vegans alongside dietary requirements (gluten free, dairy free). I would highly recommend the restaurant. Can not wait for our next visit!

2  Thank SandraM2590

Reviewed March 12, 2018

As we were going to spend the week end in Canterbury I booked a few days in advance a table for 4 for Saturday night given the excellent reviews on TA.
We were quite disappointingly given a table on the 1st floor where we were the only table and even if the room was nicely decorated the atmosphere wasn't nice. After seeing that they had a good part of the menu dedicated to burgers I decided to order a beef one, thinking that it was one of their "strenghts". I was wrong. The first comment at my table when it arrived was "it looks like McDonalds". The bun was heated and was impossible to hold when it arrived plus it resulted very dry. The meat was poor quality and there was a strange flavour given from something else I couldn't identify. I also ordered a portion of chips, they were obviously frozen and with no taste at all. McDonalds is better!
For full informations the others at the table had a set menu and they said it was a fair value for money deal. The waitress was very nice and kind and the bill was ok.

2  Thank ChristianTo
Reviewed March 11, 2018

After our 1st lovely visit we thought we would give it a 2nd go which didn't match up to the 1st with poor quality meat. Being a coeliac I have very few places I can trust to eat so we gave it a 3rd and unfortunately this was the worst. We arrived 10 minutes early and although there was a spare table we was taken up stairs and the service seemed a little slow. After 15 minutes we ordered drinks, 1/2 hour starters hadn't quite arrived and to be honest by the time over an hour 1 and 1/2 had elapsed we only just got our mains after complaining about the wait. My steak was cold and they are still serving meat on wood blocks even after another restaurant has been fined large sums of money for using them. The experience was not what we expected and now will never go back. They let themselves down 2 out of the 3 times. Not recommended unless you arrive with an empty restaurant.

1  Thank Dave G
Sarah O, Owner at Oscar & Bentleys, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2018

Your first review called us a “special place” with “great atmosphere, absolutely fabulous food, lovely people”

Mother’s Day – any restaurant worth its salt is going to be packed out on this special family day which will naturally lead to slower service times. The majority of our customers had a wonderful day, laughing and joking with each other and enjoying the extra time they had to share together.

You were unhappy being seated upstairs (I have no idea why, it’s beautiful upstairs!), the only table that was ‘free’ downstairs was reserved for a family with an elderly relative who was unable to manage the stairs.

Wooden boards – this is a classic situation of reading the headline & not understanding the detail. The restaurant that was fined had been served an improvement notice by their Enviromental Health Office, they had many areas to improve, including throwing out damaged wooden boards. They did not comply with their improvement notice and continued to serve food on boards that were damaged, this is why they were fined. Wooden boards that are cleaned and cared for properly are completely hygienic and safe to serve food on. We have a 5 star food hygiene rating and take these matters very seriously.

I’m sorry you were disappointed but I feel your expectations on Mother’s Day were unrealistic, we are still lovely people, serving absolutely fabulous food in our special little restaurant.

You will always be welcome back!

Reviewed February 24, 2018 via mobile

My partner, our 11th month old puppy and I went to Oscars & Bentleys today for lunch after looking for a dog friendly restaurant online- One word- Pawfect!

There was a great menu to choose from including burgers and baps to full blown meals! My partner and I opted for a lamb burger and a southern fried chicken burger and they were scrummy! We then chose to share a frangipane slice, out of all the delicious looking cakes, and it didn’t disappoint.

Special note must be given to the hot chocolate- I try hot chocolates everywhere I go and I have got to say it was the best white hot chocolate I have had! Highly recommend!

Our little puppy was also catered for, and very promptly, with a member of staff bringing her a bowl of water- lovely touch!

Yummy food, happy friendly staff and dog friendly! Gold stars all round!

Reviewed February 24, 2018 via mobile

We decided on a whim to come & do a bit of site seeing in Canterbury today. I had wanted to try Oscar & Bentley’s for ages & am very glad that I booked it because it was so busy. Quite frankly I’m not surprised it was a fantastic experience. I’m not totally gluten free but try to avoid it & also dairy I was spoilt for choice. My husband said that he couldn’t taste the difference either & neither could my 10 year old son.

The service was also really good & we felt that it was excellent value too. So all in all it was a very positive experience but I will definitely book because it isn’t a big restaurant & they were having to ask people to come back for tables or turning them away.