“Italian Food, Moroccan decor”
Review of Zaytoona

Zaytoona
Ranked #180 of 391 Restaurants in Canterbury
Reviewed August 11, 2016

As the Zaytoona is part of the same restaurant as the Olive Grove, with shared kitchen, it is possible to eat in Moroccan ambience but choose off the Italian menu, or presumably the reverse .Staff show you into the lower restaurant, and keep a discrete eye on customers. There is a choice of one or two course lunch plus wine or soft drink, and I opted for the vegetable soup which had peas as a centrepiece, then lasagne, which came in a very hot oval dish and was garnished with watercress. There was a choice of other Italian food, with salad or chips plus Spanish omelettes. In place of soup, I could have had a sweet for the same price and listened to more Arab background music. The Olive Grove is now upstairs, and initially I thought I was dining there, but the Moroccan menu did not look too daunting, so maybe a swap around is due next time. Close to the side entrance of Canterbury Library.

1  Thank Martin T

Reviewed August 1, 2016

Went here on a Monday night with my two teenage sons, and had the most amazing time :) staff were friendly but professional, and nothing seemed to be an issue for them. We all opted for the Lebanese menu, and the food was simple but lovely, fresh and tasty. When the bill arrived, I expected to need to get the plastic out, however it was so reasonable I had enough cash (even adding a nice tip for our lovely hosts and team). Having not lived in the area for very long, it was nice to find a place where we felt at home, and so will be going back again often. All I can add is thank you so much for making my family feel so comfortable and feeding us so well.

1  Thank Ben W
Reviewed July 13, 2016

I am very awkward about food but loved the lemon chicken here although it tasted little of lemon and more of tomatoe! We were in a large group who had pre ordered so I saw no reason for the accompanying veg to arrive more than ten minutes after I had eaten the chicken.!!

The group enjoyed their food but I was very aware that the tables were very sticky. A good wipe before the customers arrived would have been a good idea. It was an unusually warm evening and no windows were open which made a very uncomfortable meal. I would gladly return as I definitely liked the food but would be careful where I sat.

The ambiance was lovely and a very interesting and original restaurant. Good value and friendly service albeit it a bit slow service.

Reviewed May 21, 2016

Ate a small lunch here. The halloumi cheese fritters in an orange sauce was delicious as was my wife's falafel with tahini sauce. We ate outside which was very pleasant however the service was a little on the slow side.

1  Thank Geoff444
Reviewed May 2, 2016 via mobile

We waited 35 minutes for our starters and another 50 minutes for the mains. The servers were slow and didn't seem to understand what was going on. It's a shame, as the food isn't that bad.