“A Hidden Gem”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Kent. England
“A Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stayed at St George Hotel for one evening when we attended a friend's wedding reception, also hosted at the hotel and were more than mildly surprised by the quality of the rooms, the cleanliness and the facilities available.

I imagine, although I could be wrong, that St George Hotel is more of a short-stay but that does not mean that any corners are cut. We were very impressed with the room, its amenities and the fact that it wasn't too hot (we could open windows and turn down the heating). The hotel restaurant provided a full and varied breakfast menu (we didn't stay for dinner at the restaurant so cannot comment) and the food was of a good quality.

The service and courtesy of the staff was commendable. It was a delight to stay at the George Hotel and I would have no concerns about staying there again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
uk s.east
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Booked for one night stay with a friend, the room was for 2 adults +1child and had good size bathroom/shower room (shower gel and towels supplied) and separate wc, all very clean and kettle with coffee/tea etc was also supplied and a tv. Had a meal which was more than plentiful and very good value. The staff were all friendly and made you feel relaxed and welcomed, whether on front desk, bar, cleaner, restaurant which was really nice. I would not hesitate to stay here as a woman on my own as felt very safe and caring.

The booking cost came with breakfast, which had a menu with several choices which made this hotel more value for money, better and cheaper then your bulk standard Travel lodges.

I would definately recommend this hotel if you are needing somewhere to stay over for a few nights, it is close to chatham train station and not that far off the M2.

Room Tip: you could ask for a river view if you were spending a little time in your room
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank bornvariable3
rasfishfish, Manager at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2011
Thank you for your kind comments, we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Went to a function with friends and we stayed overnight.  When I rang and booked all of our rooms some months I was assured of a river view, this did not happen, We overlooked the rooftop car park, similarly we were quoted a small 'group' discount when booking and this was disputed on arrival.   The room was large and had a separate loo and bathroom which was different.   The food at the function was very good.
The service in the bar and the breakfast restaurants left a lot to be desired!
At breakfast next morning, Whilst serving my husband his cooked breakfast, the waitress knocked the toast he was buttering out of his hand and onto the  floor, just a very quick muffled sorry and no replacement - these things happen but you would expect to be asked if you would  like more!   A man also turned up for breakfast in his pyjamas, not really acceptable!
Also, when ordering tea and coffee in the bar, we were served cups only and had to ask for saucers.
The bars ran out of fiz for the soft drinks dispenser in the afternoon and throughnto the evening, not good when catering for over 100 people!
Have had many short breaks and this is the first time I've felt I need to have a moan but do feel my comments are valid.

Room Tip: if you want a river view, get it in writing!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarona
rasfishfish, Manager at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2011

We are sorry you had some issues with your stay, we will look into all of your problems and address them as soon as possible.

I would be grate full if you could email the hotel with the date of your stay so we could identify the staff involved for retraining.

kind regards
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I have stayed at the St George twice this year for periods of 4 nights while I have been working in Rochester. As a woman on my own I feel completely safe there. Staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are simply but tastefully furnished. I now look forward to having an evening meal in the bar; the food is amazing - good quality and beautifully cooked and served. The hotel does get busy with evening functions but I can understand its popularity.
I look forward to staying there again providing current standards are maintained.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your kind review, we do hope to see you again soon
Brit in Paris
Reviewed 12 August 2011

1. Parking was difficult - there were weddings that had taken all the spaces and even blocked the access to parkings so manouevrability was poor A second propose parking was difficult to access, then three flights of extremely narrow and steep steps to access the entrance to parking - However when I unfortunately realised that I had to risk my life to go down to the car again via the narrow steps -with no handrail in parts, I asked staff if a space had become free in the top parking and fortunately found one. NB: there are funny kerb blocks you don't see that scrapes under your car when you think you still have 20more cm to go...so look carefully unless you want underneath the bumper of your car taken off.
2. The room was a single room with a tiny single bed and was tiny..however bed was sloped so when lying down you had the feeling you were going to roll out onto the floor from the side. I pulled the bed away from the wall and then tried to use more of the part of the bed the side of the wall so as not to roll "downhill"
3. As there were weddings being hosted in the hotel it was very noisy and difficult to sleep noise coming from outside and inside the hotel and the booom booom bump of the music meant it was difficult to get to sleep.
4.. Bathroom small and functional Breakfast not tested. No internet access but was tired so couldn't be bothered to ring for help/codes.
I stayed one night. I won't stay again as I value actually getting some sleep in a hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank frenchconnection01
rasfishfish, Manager at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2011

I would have expected some sort of letter or comment on check out about your problems but as of the 24th August we have not had any correspondence from you other than this online review.

The stairs to our over flow car park have a metal hand rail all the way from top to bottom apart from a 1.5 meter flat section, sorry you found this so frightening.

The roof car park has raised curbs to prevent cars from hitting the wall, they are there for your own safety and are no different to parking next to a pavement.

Single rooms all have a standard single bed in, I am sorry it was sloping if you had let us know we would have changed your room .

We do have weddings on Saturdays nights untill 12am, sorry if you were not informed on booking.

Wifi is free and available through out the hotel via a code.

Many thanks
Warwickshire
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We recently stayed at the St George as it was our sons graduation in Rochester so this was an ideal spot being a short walk away from the Cathedral.
From the moment I telephoned to book the rooms Eileen the receptionist couldn`t have been more helpful. I had to ring to change things around on a few occasions as we were booking four rooms but nothing was toomuch trouble.
Rooms were large and clean, ideal for an overnight sray.
Food in the bar was better than we have had in some restaurants and a fraction of the price !
Breakfast was included, things could slightly be improved here but again the staff were excellant, especially the young lad that served us, again nothing was too much trouble.
Overall I would recommend this hotel either for an overnight stay in Rochester or a business trip.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your review, hope to see you again soon
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2011

From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly, polite and helpful. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. The view of the Medway was spectacular. The breakfast was well cooked and promptly served. It is one of the friendliest hotels I have stayed in for a long time and I would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the river as high as possible.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
rasfishfish, Manager at St. George Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
Many thanks, we hope to see you again soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
1.7 km away
Ship & Trades
#5 of 6 in Chatham
3.7 km away
Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham

Been to St. George Hotel? Share your experiences!