“Snug, warm, and comforting”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The GateHouse

The Gate House, grade II listed gothic mini castle build c1850.
Romantic bedroom with canopied bed. View through to bedroom turret The historic Gate House, Grade II listed. A fantastic holiday cottage for year round breaks.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The Gate House, grade II listed gothic mini castle build c1850.
Romantic bedroom with canopied bed. View through to bedroom turret
Romantic canopied bed
Cosy lounge with gas log burner and fully sprung double sofa bed.
The English Channel, taken from Dover seafront. I never get tired of this view. 10 minutes walk away
Well equipped, modern kitchen
View through to bedroom turret with dressing table.
Bathroom with lovely deep bath
Fully equipped kitchen.
Dining area with pull out table seating 4.
The Gate House with original red phonebox outside!
Cosy living room with sofa bed and gas fire
We love old books!
Guest book full of lovely comments from guests who have enjoyed staying in their own mini castle.
Dover Castle, situated just behind the Gate House. 5 minutes walk to the entrance from the cottage.
Stunning Dover Castle in the snow. The GateHouse is the perfect base to explore all year round.
The famous White Cliffs of Dover. A wonderful place for dog walks with stunning scenery and views.
Dover sea sports centre. Offers sailing, canoeing, wind surfing and other sea sports.15 minutes walk
Spotless Dover Esplanade. Such a pretty and tranquil area to wander by the sea.15 minutes walk away
Dover promenade, totally unspoilt seaside. 10 minutes walk from the cottage.
Botany Bay. Beautiful sandy beach 40 minutes drive from the Gate House in Broadstairs.
One of my favourite parts of the gateHouse. Beautiful tapestry hung over the fireplace.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
Karen_Gri...
Grinnell, IA
“Snug, warm, and comforting”
Reviewed March 27, 2015 for a stay in March 2015

My husband and I stayed here for almost a week. The owner quickly responded to our queries and made access, etc., quite easy to follow. The towels and linens were in great condition, and once we got the hang of the thermostat, we stayed snug and warm whether downstairs or upstairs. I especially appreciated the hair dryer in the vanity in the turret!

If you are arriving by train and have no car, you might want to arrange a taxi from the train station to help with getting your luggage up the hill to the house. It is not generally a difficult walk up hill but could be challenging with luggage. It is quite a quick walk into town to restaurants or groceries.

The house is perfect for two!

Liked best: Atmosphere
People with pets
28 Mar 2015
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Gate House. I do take guests comfort and holiday enjoyment very seriously and it gives me great satisfaction when people have been so pleased with their stay. I'd very much like to welcome you back again very soon. Best wishes, Michelle.
barbforan
Durand, Michigan
“quaint”
Reviewed March 21, 2015 for a stay in March 2015
person found this review helpful

we booked the gatehouse after seeing the photos on tripadvisor and reading the reviews. we were attracted to the location, its unique style and attractive photos showing a brightly lit interior. We were looking forward to staying at a rental with all the comforts of home. arranging entrance was straightforward with the key lock box, which was helpful as we were unsure of our arrival time. upon entering the cottage, it was quite cold with a musty odor. instructions on how to adjust the heat were provided, and we were able to warm up the cottage some-but it never rose to the setting on the thermostat. temperatures outdoors were at about 9 degrees, and we expected the heating system should have been able to accommodate warming the small cottage. on our third night there the central heating unit simply wouldn't respond to increasing the temperature on the thermostat at all. there were other portable heating devices that we used to help warm up the cottage. the decor and cleanliness were very good. however, the photographs show a very well-lit cottage, and at no time during our stay, day or at night with all the lights on did we ever experience good lighting as pictured. on our second morning using the stove, the burners would not light, and with no matches to be found we were left without a working cookstove for breakfast. as in previous reviews, the bath is not set up as a standing shower, but warm water was always readily available and large bath towels. the bed is comfortable and beautifully decorated. you must be careful not to bump your head in the room-I am only 5ft3inches and I needed to regularly duck to prevent hitting the low open beams. please be advised that the staircase is a spiral as in the castles, very steep and narrow, and it is the only access to the upstairs where the bathroom and bedroom are located. parking is available on the street, but no dedicated space for the gatehouse.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the uniqueness of the cottage
Liked least: poor response by the owner to our concerns, no wi-fi
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
22 Mar 2015
I'm very sorry you encountered one or two problems during your stay. I make it very clear to guests, prior to arrival, to phone me if they have any problems or questions during their stay. Unfortunately you didn't inform me or Holiday Lettings of your problems until over a week after the end of your holiday. Had I been notified I could easily have rectified both of these issues. I have more heaters I could have brought to the cottage and certainly could have got the cooker top lit as it was working when my cleaner attended just a few days ago so I'm sure there was nothing major wrong.
Sadly there is not the head room to provide a stand up shower, nor outside space belonging to the property to provide a dedicated parking space, which is why neither are advertised.
The photographs on the site were taken by a Holiday Lettings photographer using just the usual cottage lighting.
I hope this addresses your concerns.
10Sarah69
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Amazing cozy retreat - highly recommend”
Reviewed January 16, 2015 for a stay in January 2015
people found this review helpful

Just returned today after a four night break in The Gate House & we absolutely loved every second of it, so did the dog! It truly is a getaway in a private, quaint little castle & has everything you could need.
Walking distance to the town, castle & seafront and very short drive to a lovely walk on The White Cliffs.
Owner Michelle was so helpful & professional, loads of information provided in the house & we will definately recommend The Gate House to others & be returning for another relaxing stay - thank you Michelle for everything.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Cozy, peaceful & a beautiful property that is clean & well maintained
Liked least: Nothing - it was just perfect
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
17 Jan 2015
I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Thankyou for your kind words and for taking the trouble to leave a review. I'd love to welcome you back to the Gate House very soon.
woodie35
west midlands england
“Excellent”
Reviewed December 14, 2014 for a stay in December 2014

Stayed for 5 nights. Beautiful place everything that we could have wanted in a property. The gatehouse is a home from home all mod cons but period charm. We will be booking for next summer. Thank you Michelle for a wonderful stay.

Liked best: Period charm
Liked least: Nothing
Recommended for:
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
15 Dec 2014
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. Please do come and visit again soon. Best wishes for a very happy Christmas and peaceful new year.
Angela B
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“It was as expected and more”
Reviewed November 17, 2014 for a stay in October 2014
person found this review helpful

Stayed here In October 2014 . I could find no fault with the accomodation . Everywhere was clean and tidy . We arrived ealier than expected but were able to move straight in . The custodian returned a while later o check that all was working well . The gatehouse is warm and cosy and set in a quiet location . We tookt opportunity to of an Overnight stay in Paris as the Eurostar terminal is only half an hours drive away There where on 2 faults with the stay ( none of which are the fault of the Owner) 1. finding the local supermarkets was a trial with Dovers one way system . 2. The hill to climb to reach the cottage is very steep and I need to stop for a few minutes before reching the gatehouse. We did however take the opportunity to visit some of the local pubs on the walk up the hill ( it just had to be done).
I hasd a wonderfull week in the gatehouse and will book it again in future

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The character of the building
Liked least: The hill
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
18 Nov 2014
I'm so glad you liked the Gate House, though I completely agree with you about the steepness of the hill, a challenge especially on windy days and the one way system is tricky until you get used to it. Please do come back and visit again soon.
sticky11
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Cute”
Reviewed June 26, 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

We stayed here for a week after seeing the place on Homes Under the Hammer. We like to look for unusual buildings to stay in so this fit the bill nicely. We booked over a year in advance; despite being on Hoseasons, we couldn’t book so far in advance via them, so I found the owner on Facebook and booked direct. I was happy with the booking process and the price. As with previous cottages, there was a code controlled box outside that contained the key, for us to collect on arrival, which we prefer to having to arrive at a set time to meet someone who then lets you in. The cottage itself is very quaint (in case you were wondering, yes, just like on the telly) and had been sympathetically refurbished. Grumbles, well, there was a tap/showerhead combination in the bath, but nowhere to actually attach the showerhead to the wall so you couldn’t literally have a shower in the traditional sense, because you had to sit in the bath and use the showerhead, so we just had baths instead. I felt sure it wouldn’t have been too difficult to find somewhere to attach the shower head to the wall, and add a shower curtain, so it’s less of a grumble really, more that it just didn’t make logical sense to me to not give you the choice. The bathroom window has been blocked up too, so the room was hot, steamy, and subsequently slippery, another decision I just didn’t understand really. I thought that the upstairs turret could have been better used, as it is now it is a little bit cold and forgotten in the corner of the room - put a shower in there!?! My biggest grumble, and this really is a grumble, is that the bedroom roof has a few cracks in the plaster; The fact that someone has rammed them full of tissue paper just drew my attention to the fact that the cracks were there in the first place. This might just be cosmetic but there’s a fine line between shabby chic and just shabby, and unfortunately when you look properly at the ceiling upstairs I’m afraid it just looked shabby. Downstairs, it’s well equipped. Everything you might need is provided including mixing bowls, baking dishes and the like. I say this about every rental property we stay in - the tin opener NEVER ever works! And the tin opener here was no exception, it couldn’t open anything! 6 knives/forks/spoons were provided and most of them were wobbly/falling apart, we only had one decent fork out of the 6 and took to using spoons instead. I think the owners need to regularly review whether the items they provide are fit for purpose. That aside, the kitchen was excellent, and we were really pleased to find oil, salt, pepper, kitchen roll and other useful items in the cupboards. There was a washing machine and a dishwasher and powder/tablets were provided for both, which in my experience is unusual. We did have a problem with the heating (it wouldn’t come on) and had to contact the owners, seemingly the thermostat, which we had not even realised was a thermostat, has been turned right down to 5 degrees. Helping us with this was no trouble for the owners. We really enjoyed our stay, and the 5/10 minute walk to Dover Castle was a real bonus as we could leave our car outside the cottage and go on foot. Lots of passers-by were commenting on the cottage and how cute it looked and it was a lovely place to come back to every night after a long day sightseeing. We didn’t understand the conflicting information about putting the bin bags out, but all of the other information in the book was spot on. Shame there isn’t a dedicated parking space as that would make it even better, but overall, good.

27 Jun 2014
I'm very sorry to hear that you encountered a few problems during your stay at the Gate House. I shall endeavour to address each of your points. Unfortunately the ceiling height in the bathroom is too low for a stand up shower, hence the lack of attachment. When we refitted the bathroom, it wasn't possible to fit the bath in without guests having to be contortionists to actually get in it without removing the use of the window. The turret has a dressing table in, which most guests seem to like. Please do remember that this building is Grade II listed so there is no way we would be allowed to put a shower in that space. Sadly the Gate House roof suffered damage from the storms in December as many properties did. I did actually try to speak to all guests before their stay to explain about the cracks in the bedroom ceiling as the remedial works could not start until the dryer weather. This was completed in May. I have no idea about any tissue being put into cracks, this is not something I ever saw. I'm sorry you felt the cutlery was lacking. This has been checked today and found to be pretty much as new. The kitchen equipment is checked at every changeover. Unfortunately we do not own enough land with the cottage to create a dedicated parking space and again the listing would make this difficult. As you say, if guests encounter any problems and do ring us about them, then we are very happy to do whatever we can to remedy them.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2014 for a stay in February 2014

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Decor and exterior appearance.
Liked least: No Wi-Fi access.
Families with young children
18 Mar 2014
We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay. You booked a long time ahead to secure the Valentines weekend and it is so nice to hear that the Gate House lived up to expectations as the perfect romantic cottage.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing