“Always a special treat to eat and drink in the elegant dining room and bar”

Townleys at Albion House
Ranked #19 of 212 Restaurants in Ramsgate
Price range: US$13 - US$44
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our food philosophy is to buy the best you can find and prepare dishes in a simple and uncomplicated way. Our menus change regularly and reflect the ingredients which our suppliers feel are the best on offer on the day you visit us. We are open to the public seven days a week and welcome bookings for larger groups celebrating special occasions or just planning to enjoy wonderful food in beautiful surroundings.
Reviewed November 7, 2018

We live nearby and come here often, either for coffee, breakfast, lunch or a drink. The service is always friendly and helpful and the food is very good. Dogs are welcome and made a fuss of. They make a mean cocktail and the wine list is expensive, It's the go-place when you feel in need of a touch of sophistication but it's not snooty in any way.

Date of visit: October 2018
Emma I, Reception at Townleys at Albion House, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2018

Dear Christabel S,

Thank you for your lovely review, we are glad you have enjoyed your several experiences of Townley's and continue to do so. Thursday night is cocktail night with two for one, feel free to come along and join us. We look forward to welcoming you to Townley's again.

Reviewed November 1, 2018 via mobile

Lovely Sunday afternoon meal at Townleys for 14
Great food ,service and celebration cake provided
Lovely to be able to finish the afternoon in the comfortable hotel lounge areas
Will definitely visit again

Date of visit: October 2018
Emma I, Reception at Townleys at Albion House, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2018

Dear Kay R,

Thank you for choosing Townley's to celebrate your Diamond anniversary. We are glad you enjoyed your meal and time with us. Here's to many more years.

Reviewed October 31, 2018 via mobile

This could have been such a great success.
We had arranged a 60th birthday here and prior to the engagement all things were going well and lots of contact. However once we turned up things soon started to turn sour.

They had asked us to put everyone on certain tables so it will be easier for them when serving. However when arriving seating arrangements were wrong, which would have meant people weren't sat together. Apparently this was due to a broken table, which isn't a big deal and we dealt with it. We were also seat on wooden chair's rather than the chair advertise on the pictures on the website.
We had been promised all three rooms for the night, however that was taken away from us as they where using the room to store the furniture that had been removed from the room we were to eat in. There was a very thin cloth for a curtain to divide the room where we could no longer go. So we could see all the furniture piled up!
Staff (not all) were rude, especially the duty Manager who didn't want to try to help or make the night any eaiser.
When the food came out many were very disappointed especially with the steaks, lots gristle left and fat left on. the potatoes were part cooked, and again several orders wrong.

They also told us prior to the date that we could get a playlist together using Spotify. Which we did but they couldn't understand how to get it to work on there computer. (Nothing major, but just added to the disappointed) one of the guest had to help them figure it out.

I can't tell you how truly disappointed we are. It put such a dampener on the whole event! If the staff, really cared and were generally trying to help and were sympathetic, I think it would of made the world of difference. The rude blunt demeanor was just the cherry on top of a very bitter cake.

Date of visit: October 2018
Benjamin I, Owner at Townleys at Albion House, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2018

Hello Jennie C

I sorry to read this review and I am sorry that you didn’t see how far we went to make this special occasion special for you and your party.

However, I need to let readers of this review know that you and your party left our building having refused to pay for any of the food and drink you consumed here at Townleys.

Often, as is the case with many other establishments, for a party of this size (26), the kitchen needs a pre-order. When the pre-order changes significantly the day before, the seating arrangement changes, for a party we are already doing our utmost to accommodate, things can become a little pressurised. There was some confusion amongst your party on arrival as to who was having what and sitting where.

Turning up early with a huge birthday cake expecting us to store it for you, when it simply would not fit in any of our fridge on the premises, added to your dismay and perhaps this was the start of your frustration which we feel is unfair.

The rooms were guaranteed for the evening for you and there was no arrangement to decorate the room furthermore we had another booking at lunch time.

So in summary, you had a three course meal, nothing was sent back to kitchen, you had entertainment by way of your singer, you had two large rooms with sole exclusive for which we did not charge you for, yet it was fair to pay nothing on the night and leave the worst review possible on TripAdvisor.

As you are aware, following conversations with your husband the bill was paid and we parted amicably even though you refused to pay the entire bill and didn’t pay the service charge for the food service and care you received during the booking process and on the night.

I understand you feel that you had an unsatisfactory experience, but to come to our venue, eat and drink, refuse to pay, leave empty bottles of lager on our reception desk and generally be aggressive and rude to our staff is something we have never experienced before and hope to never have to deal with again.

I wish Tripadvisor had a two way system similar to Airbnb where small business owners such as ourselves could rate guests in return and warn other small operators such as ourselves to steer clear.

The best of luck with future notable birthday parties elsewhere.

Ben

Reviewed October 27, 2018

We were invited to attend a celebration meal and drinks at Townleys by my friends. The sumptuous surroundings and ambience in the bar made for a great evening. We were all invited to join our table for the meal. The meal had been pre ordered so it was just personal choice of how you preferred your steak etc . I was the odd one out on my table as the steak prepared for me was cooked to my satisfaction, but the quality of steak was questionable. The roast potatoes were part cooked and hard and barely warm but the broccoli was passable. The cheese option arrived with the obligatory spoon and fork !!! A knife was requested but arrived after the meal had finished. I would struggle to attend this restaurant if this is the quality of food and service offered.

4  Thank Mabelsdad8423
Reviewed October 25, 2018

As you will see I've given mixed reviews on this restaurant in the past, but I have also said I'd come back again and see before I finally say no.

So, when an email popped up offering Wednesday Steak Nights, how could I resist, considering how much I adore steak. Okay it was sirloin steak which wasn't my favourite, but the price at £15.95 per person for a 200g steak including a 175ml glass of house red wine was a winner. Plus, it included an interesting offering of rustic potatoes, kale and cherry vine tomatoes with sauce options; mushroom, blue cheese or peppercorn (£2 supplement).

I took my son, who also loves steak. The place was, as always charming, clean with a nice atomshpere and welcoming staff, who remembered me from last time. They were happy to change our drink order to coke and we were seated at one end of on a long bench table, which was fine. The dreaded wooden seats issue reared its head, but fortunately there were scatter cushions - scattered. So I grabbed one, problem solved. There's also a cushioned bench seat, for next time I thought.

The steak was beautiful. Cooked perfectly. I had requested the blue cheese sauce and this was also good. I like to taste the cheese and this certainly fulfilled my brief. The rustic potatoes were a bit underwhelming. Despite the label, I was still expecting a bit of cripsness. These were thinly sliced, skin-on baked potatoes that didn't do it for me. They looked tired and worn out before I picked one up. It helped when I dipped them in the blue cheese dip, but I didn't really think that was the point.

The vegetables were nice, a selection of colours. The puree was supposed to carrot according to the staff, but there was no carrot taste just a smoky flavour of something I couldn't place. It wasn't horrible and I ate half my son's trying to guess it.

Finally, with every steak but fillet, I always seem to find a section with gristle. (No pun intended on my next novel due out in Dec 2018) There was a decent amount as my son had some with his too. I asked the waitress if I might have something to wrap it in as I'm sure my cats would love it (they did) She didn't seem to understand my request and asked if I couldn't just wrap it in a serviette - which I did, but a bit of cling film or foil would have been nice.

Overall, a very pleasant lovely place, with lovely staff and interesting food cooked to a high standard. A place I shall be returning to, especially now I've spied their newest menu.

1  Thank Carol S

Dear Carol S,

Thank you for your lovely review and deciding to return to Townley's to try us again. We are glad you enjoyed you had more enjoyment with your meal on this visit. Our steak night has seen to be very popular, as just having it started off it is good to get customer feedback so we can measure how successful we are being with the produce we are serving to our customers. We have recently made changes to our bar area and taken all the soft seating out, this is something that has been requested by customers, so we are trying it out. Please do feel free to ask for a cushion if you do require this, we are happy to provide this to you and your guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again to Townley's