“Good but looking a bit tired” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Hull Marina

Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Tarbert, Scotland
“Good but looking a bit tired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Good, friendly service. Room clean - but maybe just looking a bit tired. I had a nice view of the marina. Expensive for what you get. More than adequet breakfast, very friendly staff. Bar a bit pricey, but 10% discount available with their priority club card. Bar food good price and just fine at the end of a busy day. I did not use the spa facilities. Good location for the old town.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Whitfis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments about your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Hull Marina, we really do appreciate customer feedback. I take on board your comments about the property, we do have a continual programme in place with regards to the update of the Hotel. Once again thank you and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

First ever stay in Hull and I think we probably got the right hotel. Conveniently situated close to the A63(to close) and next to the marina. The city centre is only a short walk where there are bars and restaurants. The hotel was very reasonably priced and included breakfast. If I stayed here again I would make sure I got a room NOT overlooking the A63, road traffic noise all night, another case for secondary double glazing!! The food was pretty standard but fine, we only had breakfast, it would have been nice if we had been asked, as other guests were, if we would like boiled/poached eggs, kippers or porridge ! We didn't discover this was the case until we halfway though our breakfast.
Al the staff we met were very friendly and a credit to IHG.
All in all a good stay.

Room Tip: If you don't like road traffic noise, and I can't think anybody would, get a room overlookin...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Whitfis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Hull Marina. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and have passed your comments on about the staff. We are in a good location in the city centre and very local for all the amenities, I am however sorry to read that your where kept awake by the traffic noise, we have in our plans to replace all windows on that side of the hotel. I have also noted your comments about breakfast and please be assured that the Restaurant Manager has spoken with all staff, to ensure that this is explained to every guest, upon arrival at breakfast. Once again thank you for taking the time to complete your review and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Fantastic location, great staff. The Ask restaurant across the road is probably one of the best eateries in Hull. Rooms are a bit tired but everything reasonably clean. However compared to my experience in the Royal Hotel in the city centre, the Holiday Inn Marina is by far the best hotel in Hull. It certainly has improved immensely since the last time I stayed there. Check in was smooth. One complain only. The bar was very poorly stocked and the several liqueurs I asked for were not available nor was fresh mint (stocked in any good kitchen) available as a digestif. The executive rooms are not great value for money but you are practically guaranteed a marina view which is worth the extra. The choice of pillows and the bathrobe neatly packed in a container are very nice touches and I certainly appreciated the extra heater that was in the room!

Room Tip: The marina view is worth paying for as otherwise you get a view of a dual carriageway!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Hull Marina. I was pleased to note that the room was clean and check in smooth. I have noted your comments about the availability of liqueurs, I have also spoken to the chef as we should always have fresh mint in the kitchen. We are currently about to start taking part in a new trial of executive bedroom for Holiday Inn, which should improve the proposition going forward. I was also pleased to note your comment about the pillow menu and bathrobes. Once again thank you for taking the time to write your comments and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Preston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I have stayed here a few times and it's a great location to visit Hull, located on the marina. Just across the road are all the main shops and restaurants. breakfast at the hotel is really good. Funny that we also experienced the strange delays in getting coffee at breakfast, odd. The rooms are clean and the staff very helpful. What surprised me is having to verify the cost of the room, the fact that breakfast was included and also the wifi in the deal we got online when checking in. Then there was the debate over whether or not I was entitled to the premier points for the visit. Considering this was all booked online it was puzzling. As it happens the staff were all fine about it so it was not a problem and it would not prevent me from coming back.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Nick H, Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our hotel, I am very pleased to hear that you are happy with our customer service and that you would not hesitate to use in the future.
Thank you for informing us of your experience regarding the confusion over your entitlements and although I am glad we were able to resolve the issue, it should not have happened to begin with. I have fed back your comments to both our reservations manager and reception manager who will aim to stop this situation happening again in the future with other guests.
I would also like to comment on your remark regarding the coffee refills at breakfast time as you are not the first to mention this on this website. Our newly appointed restaurant manager has been tasked with ensuring this comment does not appear here in the future and I know that he is working with his team to ensure that it does not.
I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

Booked this hotel for a family weekend away. First impressions were that the room was almost identical to a Travelodge room - on the small side with very tired looking furniture, though we had a lovely view of the marina. The sofa bed was fine for a child but came with only a sheet & a very scrappy looking blanket. I had to ask three times for a duvet but got one eventually.

The biggest problem was there were two weddings taking place during our visit. This made the bar & restaurant feel out of bounds and also meant, despite being on the third floor, we had to listen to a very loud, bad disco til after midnight - not ideal with a young child trying to sleep. We'd had a courtesy call earlier in the week to warn us, but as the room was booked and paid for by then, it was a bit late to do anything different.

The pool was great and completely empty first thing on Sunday morning. Reception staff were lovely but overstretched with the weddings, which meant customer service to other residents suffered So overall, although we had a good weekend, the hotel didn't really add to the experience and it didn't feel like good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the marina
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Peeps235
I would like to thank you for taking the time to feed back on your stay with us and I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for our hotel not delivering upon your expectations, we too believe that our hotel should add to the experience when you stay away and I am sorry we did not manage to do this on your visit.
Thank you for your kinds regarding our swimming pool and the reception team, I shall pass these on to those working on the night.
We do endeavour to contact all of our guests to ensure that they are aware of what is happening in the hotel during their stay, to ensure that we minimise any impact celebrations may have on their visit with us. On this occasion it is unfortunate that our communication was not early enough so that we were unable to deliver for you and for this I apologise. I do hope that you will consider using the Holiday Inn Hull Marina again in the future and enjoy the usual high levels of standards and service that we normally provide.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Nice hotel with good service. Swimming pool is big enough to swim nd breakfast is tasty. Harbour view is nice extra but exta bed was a huge disapoinment for an adult.

• Stayed July 2011
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Was in Hull on business and booked an executive room, sadly the room is no bigger that a standard room, what you get for your extra £30 is a larger tv, a bar of chocolate (every other day) and a bottle of water, not even free wi-fi.Not really value for money.
That being said the food was good, especially the breakfast and the staff very friendly.

Room Tip: Dont expect anything special from upgrading, go for standard and bring your own water and chocolate.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TSM1962
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel, I am sorry that we did meet your expectations during your visit. The new executive upgrade package is something that is currently under trial and as a company we are assessing customer feedback to understand the perceived value that the upgrade brings.
I would like to thank you fort he very kind words regarding our food and staff courteousness they are very appreciated and I will pass them on the team.
I hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the future and so that you can experience the new upgraded package when it is rolled out across the business.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston-upon-Hull
0.5 km away
The Royal Hotel Hull
The Royal Hotel Hull
#7 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,160 reviews
0.8 km away
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hot...
#2 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Ibis Hull
#5 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
0.7 km away
Holiday Inn  Express Hull City Centre
Holiday Inn Express Hull City C...
#8 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
9.6 km away
Lazaat
Lazaat
#1 of 1 in Cottingham

Been to Holiday Inn Hull Marina? Share your experiences!