“The best in the area”

The Village Green Cafe Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visit The Village Green a couple of times a month and have never had a bad meal. Food is very well priced and is gorgeous. Portion sizes are large and we normally share a starter action much if we have 1 each. Drinks are reasonably priced. Booking us a must for evenings but we have normally been lucky when going for lunch and generally get a table without booking. Does get extremely busy during the day in the summer.

1  Thank riccoess

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Me my husband and son had gone for a meal here for a treat for our tea.
There wasn't many in but we waited over an hour for our food which I then asked how much longer it would be as it was a bit late for our little boy to be eating any later! I don't think I've ever waited this long especially without being informed on ordering.
Anyway the staff sort of said it won't be long and that's it's cos we ordered a pie which takes longer but didn't apologise or anything and tutted.
Anyway our meals finally came and had a few bites but in my husband he noticed a huge piece of plastic from inside his pie it was huge like on a reel!!
If my boy had that he would of choked!! Anyway we informed them they then took it to the chef as if we were lying brought it back and said sorry and would he like a drink.
I have asked some of my friends who own restaraunts and they said they should of offered to cook his meal again or give a refund!
We've been a few times staff are always miserable and can always sense a bad atmosphere which we let go because the food is nice but now to go and have plastic in a meal as well and the hour wait it's over stepped the mark unfortunately.
Very disappointed.

Reviewed 11 March 2018

I visited this establishment early on a Thursday evening, with my family, prior to a theatre visit in Hull. We booked a table by phone and knew we would be short of time, so we were pleased to be able to pre-order our meals which avoided long waits. It is often very busy here so best to book. My daughters enjoyed the tasty burgers and onion rings which were nicely served and looked appetising. The pie had been recommended by my daughter who had sampled “Pie Night” on a Wednesday and was very impressed, so I went for that but was disappointed. The pie crust was quite hard, the mashed potato very solid and the peas lacked any flavour. I had the impression that it had all been overheated in a microwave and left standing too long. Perhaps not the best of meals to pre-book? My daughter commented that although the contrast was unbelievable, customers should not be put off because “Pie Night” is very good indeed. You get two pies, accompaniments and a drink for £16: so, eight pounds each. The pies, fresh on the day, are superb! “Steak Night” on a Tuesday and a bottle of prosecco on Friday’s “Happy Hour” (5.00 to 7.00 pm) are also highly recommended. Note that there is a kid’s menu with a drink included. It went down well with my six- year old grandson. There is a good choice of desserts. Do also try the excellent afternoon teas if you get a chance. The menu is quite extensive and the food and drink of very good value if basic. The service is very good. It is easy to park with good access for older people and those disabled. It has a cheerful, sociable atmosphere that is welcoming. We can certainly recommend it.

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

This is a great place to catch up for lunch with friends. The service is really good and the food very tasty. Overall everything is very good value for money

Reviewed 15 February 2018

A lovely little cafe bar serving excellent food. Great for gluten free and other allergy sufferers. Very good prices and a nice atmosphere