“Couldn't have asked for more!”
Review of Thorneyfield

Thorneyfield
Ranked #52 of 102 Ambleside B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 February 2017

I was up in the Lakes for a weekend by myself with my camera for some landscape photography. Thorneyfield is easy find, being on the main thoroughfare through Ambleside. There is road side parking across the road and I was lucky enough to find some everyday, although I was given a parking permit for the council carparks if I've needed it. Room was spot on, comfy, warm, with a fridge and TV. The single room isn't en suite but it was only a hop, skip and jump down a few stairs to the private bathroom... the shower was amazing! Everyone was very friendly, the breakfast was perfect, the room was spot on... what more can one ask! Very happy visitor.

Room Tip: I only had the single room, but I beleive they have family size too. If in the single room be aware...
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 November 2016

A friend and I both booked rooms here for hiking/biking weekend.
It's a warm, clean, pleasant place, with comfy beds.
Owner lets you keep bikes inside the property, which is great.
Good cooked breakfast served from 8:30.
New owner since June (I think) who is currently improving the property.
Very central and great value!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2016

Our too short stay at this small guest house close to the main cinema (with very special vegetarian restaurant attached) took place over a midweek from 10 October, when, luckily the weather was just good enough to permit 3 walks over nearby hills. The guest house is set in a busy one-way street, among shops, cafes & a pub, plus the cinema. Street parking is available for one-hour stints across the road, but the owner, Carole Wilson, has a supply of free all-day parking permits, useable at all council-run car parks in the area, & we made good use of this convenient cash saver.

As a vegetarian since 1960 I have become used to poor, unimaginative breakfasts at holiday accommodations, with massive use of eggs & Heinz beans while my partner feasts on a range of meat products, but this one was to be different, with the host anticipating that I might like non-meat sousage with my, yes, fried egg. We are apt to take our own home made cereal mix with us on these occasions but at Thorneyfield there is a fruitarian mix waiting at 08.30, including fresh blueberries, raspberries & a quite unusual yogurt collection. The toast can be brown, & comes in, for me, too small pieces, indicating a need for a bigger toaster for those keen on making full use of Carole's range of locally sourced tasty jams & marmalade, but I managed to leave the table healthily fed, even if it took a gentle word (only) to gain us a stronger brew of coffee with our breakfast.

Overall, Carole, fairly new to running a guest house after a long spell in a professional job, did us proud & proved to have local hill maps to loan us, & some knowledge of the better known hills, & got our damp boots dry overnight next to her kitchen Aga. I would say that the pillows in room 5 could be replaced, but guess that this will be looked at during improvements due to be made at Thorneyfield over time. The house itself is quiet & double glazing takes care of the bulk of street noises when windows are shut.

Annual visitors to Ambleside, we plan to stay with Carole next October.

Room Tip: For no extraneous noise at all, check back rooms, though we would choose room 5 again if available.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2016

Came on my own to help with Festival of the Fells and was made so welcome with a big room and modern bathroom. Carole was really helpful and friendly and the breakfast was excellent, would definitely recommend and come again.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank ejb98
Reviewed 31 August 2016

I spent the bank holiday weekend with some friends at Ambleside. the B&B is in excellent location in the town centre. the owners were very helpful and friendly. the rooms although small were very clean and had all the amenities. there was also a very good selection for breakfast and everything was very tasty.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Panagiota K
Reviewed 25 August 2016

Thorneyfield is a lovely B&B in located on one of the main roads leading up to the Ambleside town centre. Everything you could possibly need for a relaxed stay in the Lake District is within reach. Carol and her daughter were friendly hosts who tried to make my stay as comfortable as possible. Worth mentioning is that Carol went the extra mile when I booked - where it seemed that Thorneyfield was fully booked, she was able to find me a room anyway.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are just above on of the main roads leading into town and it can be noisy with tr...
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marnie1770
Reviewed 23 August 2016

So lovely to come here after a long, wet, frustrating drive down from Scotland. Greeted with a smile and advice about parking and shown to my room up on the second floor, looking over the street. Everything I could possibly have wanted was to hand, including a range of fairtrade teas and coffee and biscuits. The choc under the cushions was a lovely surprise. Carol and her daughter were really kind and thoughtful. The house is quirky and full of fascinating nooks and crannies. A bookcase on the first floor landing contains a range of books and DVDs guests are free to borrow during their stay. Breakfast is ample, with a choice of fresh fruit as well as cereals, cooked breakfast, croissant etc. Oh and home made preserves. Vegans can have soya alternatives.

Room Tip: The single room has its on separate bathroom but there is also a wash basin the room - comes in hand...
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo