US$224
US$174
US$153
Free cancellation until 21/07
US$110
The Red Lion Inn(Hawkshead)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$57
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$68/night.

YHA Hawkshead(Hawkshead)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$98
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$119/night.

All reviewsfamily roombiscuitscooked breakfastprivate bathroomsingle roomblack puddingfacing the main roadlovely hostsparking permitnice toiletriesvisit amblesidefriendly coupleb bsexcellent showerdefinitely stay here againbeds were very comfortablestayed for nights
Reviewed March 29, 2017

I Have just returned from a 3 night stay, This Guesthouse is in a perfect location to see and do everything. The guest house is very well presented by the owners a man and wife team both very friendly and helpful, They serve a very nice Full English breakfast. I would recommend this Guest house to anyone visiting Ambleside.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2017 via mobile

I had not stayed at Thorneyfields since 2011,then under previous management ,but since having a 3 night stay,I must say that Thorneyfields is under a fine stewardship of Carole & Andrew.Very clean,tidy and with attention to detail that many others miss.Superb value for money and I promise that I shall return in the future.
Chris J,Stoke on Trent

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed February 21, 2017

I was up in the Lakes for a weekend by myself with my camera for some landscape photography. Thorneyfield is easy find, being on the main thoroughfare through Ambleside. There is road side parking across the road and I was lucky enough to find some everyday, although I was given a parking permit for the council carparks if I've needed it. Room was spot on, comfy, warm, with a fridge and TV. The single room isn't en suite but it was only a hop, skip and jump down a few stairs to the private bathroom... the shower was amazing! Everyone was very friendly, the breakfast was perfect, the room was spot on... what more can one ask! Very happy visitor.

Room Tip: I only had the single room, but I beleive they have family size too. If in the single room be aware that it isn't en suite.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2016

A friend and I both booked rooms here for hiking/biking weekend.
It's a warm, clean, pleasant place, with comfy beds.
Owner lets you keep bikes inside the property, which is great.
Good cooked breakfast served from 8:30.
New owner since June (I think) who is currently improving the property.
Very central and great value!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2016

Our too short stay at this small guest house close to the main cinema (with very special vegetarian restaurant attached) took place over a midweek from 10 October, when, luckily the weather was just good enough to permit 3 walks over nearby hills. The guest house is set in a busy one-way street, among shops, cafes & a pub, plus the cinema. Street parking is available for one-hour stints across the road, but the owner, Carole Wilson, has a supply of free all-day parking permits, useable at all council-run car parks in the area, & we made good use of this convenient cash saver.

As a vegetarian since 1960 I have become used to poor, unimaginative breakfasts at holiday accommodations, with massive use of eggs & Heinz beans while my partner feasts on a range of meat products, but this one was to be different, with the host anticipating that I might like non-meat sousage with my, yes, fried egg. We are apt to take our own home made cereal mix with us on these occasions but at Thorneyfield there is a fruitarian mix waiting at 08.30, including fresh blueberries, raspberries & a quite unusual yogurt collection. The toast can be brown, & comes in, for me, too small pieces, indicating a need for a bigger toaster for those keen on making full use of Carole's range of locally sourced tasty jams & marmalade, but I managed to leave the table healthily fed, even if it took a gentle word (only) to gain us a stronger brew of coffee with our breakfast.

Overall, Carole, fairly new to running a guest house after a long spell in a professional job, did us proud & proved to have local hill maps to loan us, & some knowledge of the better known hills, & got our damp boots dry overnight next to her kitchen Aga. I would say that the pillows in room 5 could be replaced, but guess that this will be looked at during improvements due to be made at Thorneyfield over time. The house itself is quiet & double glazing takes care of the bulk of street noises when windows are shut.

Annual visitors to Ambleside, we plan to stay with Carole next October.

Room Tip: For no extraneous noise at all, check back rooms, though we would choose room 5 again if available.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple