All reviews wonderful afternoon tea coffee and petit fours loughrigg suite drawing room tasting menu amuse bouche superior room new owners overlooking the garden lake district public rooms breakfast and dinner lovely hotel lamb walk in shower room was large home made
Reviewed August 28, 2018

Stayed in a newly refurbished classic plus room yesterday Beautifully furnished with extra large superbly comfortable bed. The designer bathroom was equally excellent with fabulous luxury touches, not least of which were the towels.
The food was lovely but my husband & I would have liked a larger main course rather than the amuse bouche. The lamb was the best I've ever had just could have done with more.
Staff exceptional from housekeeping to reception to restaurant. Thank you for our best stay in 25 years of visiting the area.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patsy17
Reviewed August 27, 2018

Lovely hotel on the edge of the town. No views of lakes or countryside but the welcome, the ambience and the amazing food totally make up for that. Nothing was too much trouble, staff were friendly and helpful . Our room, recently refurbished, was perfect. The food was just incredible

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2018

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The room is beautiful. The staff are friendly. Every detail is thought about and catered for. Bathroom stocked with lovely Molton Brown goodies. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room with decaf tea (which I love in the eve!), hot chocolate and nice biscuits. A shower and separate luxurious bath, which I made good use of after the day's sightseeing. Breakfast was in the fine dining category for me, and really tasty. Bookcase outside my room with books for the guests.

I would definitely stay here again. The bed...oh my...what a bed!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2018

We stayed in this lovely dog friendly hotel for one night over the hot summer. It was a last minute decision and only booked the night before. We were not disappointed, a warm early afternoon welcome by the staff, the room was ready. It was a lovely bright and large room with a large ensuite bathroom and lovely large beds comfy beds. Our two dogs were made very welcome with biscuits, water bowl and poo bags. The hotel is in the middle of Ambleside shops and the lake, only a few minutes walk both ways. We choose to eat out at night but came back to get drinks from the bar, which was a lovely little well stocked bar. The breakfast was amazing, waiter service and selection was great, spoilt for choice. The food was exceptional and well presented. Checkout was smooth, parking was great, I have every intention of revisiting this great hotel.

Room Tip: Ground Floor Dog Friendly Room
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2018

Firstly, I should make it clear that my criteria when looking for a hotel are: a) dog-friendly, and b) vegan-friendly. The Rothay Manor is dog-friendly and, I discovered, on request they will make a vegan menu just for you! Honestly, I cannot fault the food at all. The chef did exceedingly well creating and preparing vegan food as competently and tastefully as a dedicated vegan restaurant. He made cheesecake for us (which I understand was his first attempt!) It was excellent. His vegan sorbet was divine. He made a delicious cottage pie for us and mushroom risotto. Our dog was with us when we ate and although we were separated from the main restaurant we were still placed in a grand room where they served the lounge menu. So it wasn’t just those with dogs who ate there. Also, it was a proper restaurant right next door to the main restaurant, so the staff were always on hand to serve us, and we were never neglected. The staff were very attentive and friendly. Breakfast was great too. All freshly made. We had spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans and sautéed potatoes. Also the best ever rye bread made on the premises (and vegan butter!). I was very impressed. It would have been nice if they had a wider assortment of dairy-free milk for a cappuccino, but maybe they will offer this in the future. Unfortunately, I wasn’t so impressed with our room. We were in one of the cottages, and it was a little dated. After five weeks of no rain, it rained the day we got there, and the temperature dropped dramatically. The heating wasn’t working so we had a chilly first night, but it was fixed by the next day. So very efficient and attentive once again. Also, every time the room was cleaned it had that nauseating shake n vac smell. It put me off entering the room. Sitting with that smell all night was a challenge for me. The cottage could do with modernising. Get rid of the carpets and put some rugs that can be washed after each guest leaves. I don’t know what the rooms were like in the main hotel, but I didn’t like ours. It’s a pity as a good room would have made it to a 5-star review.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family